The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 10, 2011, 01:19 PM   #1
M14MSgt

Shiloh or Uberti Sharps?

Trying to figure which way to go. Found a Uberti 1874 Cavalry Carbine .45-70 sharps repro for $950...but Shiloh Sharps website allows you to pay over the course of 13 months or so for one that costs twice as much as the Uberti. I don't plan to hunt with it, just always wanted one.
Old February 10, 2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Ben Towe

I don't have one but I've heard really good things about the Shiloh guns. Uberti seems to make decent stuff as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old February 10, 2011, 01:46 PM   #3
sewerman

uberti & pedersoli are the ONLY ital rifle worth buying.

pedersoli is known for the best rifle barrels outa Ital and uberti uses pedersoli barrels.

shiloh makes top shelf but you may want to read the fine print.

$250.00 non-refundable deposit to preserve a place on the production line.
a federal excise tax at delivery.
40.00 for a shipping case.
plus freight cost.
then the price is not garrenteed... any increase in supplies will be passed on the the customer at time of shipping.

this is what cooled it off for me. i wavie about the set price and allow them to index whatever inflated production cost they may feel is necessarey?

i felt uncomfortable with this scenario though maybe it hasn't happened and i don't say it has i feel the chance is there for a front & end profit to be made.

i realize in our tubulent economy increases on raw materials do happens,
but i feel any risk of such should be addressed at the time of order & factored into the cost of the rifle so there's no surprises on a drooling customer anxious to receive his rifle.

just my opinion...

also all three rifles have been evaluated over and over by many and the Itals shoots just as good and many have reported better than their american rivals...it's all a matter of choice & money.

hope this helped

s.m.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old February 10, 2011, 02:11 PM   #4
M14MSgt

thanks...
Old February 10, 2011, 02:54 PM   #5
horseman308

I think the general consensus has been that you can't tell the difference if you're simply comparing targets. They're likely to be equally accurate with proper load and shooter. The Shiloh wins in terms of fit-and-finish quality (plus the whole Made in the USA thing), while the Pedersoli and Uberti win in terms of prices. I've never handled a Shiloh, but the Pedersoli's I have handled were quite nice, seemed to function and lock up well, etc. I would buy a Pedersoli.
Old February 10, 2011, 03:02 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I think the Uberti (made for them by Pedersoli) will serve you well.
The Shiloh is much nicer but it is also much more expensive and they have a long delivery time.
Old February 10, 2011, 07:15 PM   #7
M14MSgt

thanks fellas - i truly appreciate all the advice.
Old February 10, 2011, 07:22 PM   #8
rdstrain49

I had intended to get a custom built Sharps for long range. First I thought I'd try a cheap Italian copy. I got a Pedersoli, it shot so well at 1,000 yards I forgot about a custom rifle and just shoot the cheap Italian. Shooting 12" groups at 1,000 yards, maybe I should call it an inexpensive Italian copy. Quality, fit and finish is acceptable, and boy does it shoot. Just my experience. Good luck. BTW the Italian Sharps will out shoot my Browning High Wall six ways to Sunday.
Old February 10, 2011, 10:14 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

If you have the money and patience, Shiloh ALL the way.

It's similar to asking if you have the choice to go with a Corvette or a Lingenfelter. The latter is the obvious choice.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 11, 2011, 12:30 PM   #10
M14MSgt

Part of me wants to go "the Shiloh way"...but the incredible long wait time is quite irritating. I don't want to be too old to enjoy it.
Old February 11, 2011, 05:15 PM   #11
Pukindog

Sharps or Uberti

I have two C. Sharps rifles that I special ordered from them. A 1885 Hi Wall in .32-40 and a 1874 Boss Gun in .45-90. The rifles were ordered with all thew bells and whistles. Each rifle took 3 months to deliver. Not a long wait. The quality is as good, if not better, then Shiloh ( have one of them too). I also own a Uberti. Great shooter but not nearly in the same class as the C. Sharps or the Shiloh. Shiloh and C. Sharps were once owned by the same partners. They both set up their own shops accross the street from each other.
I would pay to see a consistant 1000 yard 12" group shot with any of these rifles.

Jeff
Old February 11, 2011, 05:52 PM   #12
rdstrain49

1,000 yd at Alliance Ne. several times a year. You can see it for free
Old February 11, 2011, 05:53 PM   #13
M14MSgt

does C. Sharps allow you to make payments like Shiloh?
Old February 11, 2011, 06:25 PM   #14
Pukindog

Shiloh or Uberti

1000 yd 12" group; great shooting. There is only one 1000 range here in PA as far as I know and that one is 6 hrs away so I don't get to shoot at 1000. 600 is the longest I have shot. I would love to be able to shoot that far and have about 1MOA groups.
I do not know if C. Sharps has installment plans. Give them a call.1-406-932-4353. Nice folks to deal with.

Jeff
Old February 12, 2011, 03:57 AM   #15
RwBeV

I have owned just about every kind of 1874 sharps there is except an original. The one thing that I can say is stay away from the EMF Sharps the locks are a bit soft the hammer is wrong and I haven't seen one that will shoot up to my expectations. I cant see spending the money for a Shiloh if your not going to shoot it much at least I don't have that kind of money. I did have a Shiloh Business Rifle in 45-70 I had a heck of a time getting it to shoot until I found out it had a paper patch throat in it, it would not shoot cast bullets, I asked Ron Long about it and he said it never would. I now own a Uberti in 45-70 it shoots just fine, I just cant take the recoil over a Black Powder Silhouette match. I would like to find out about this 1000yd range (I live in Cheyenne) is it a match or are you just shooting for fun?
Old February 12, 2011, 01:13 PM   #16
M14MSgt

just want it for fun...been in love with 19th century weapons all my life.
Old February 12, 2011, 07:22 PM   #17
rdstrain49

RwBeV;
Check out Alliance Rifle Club web site. They have several matches that include long range each year. Alliance is a Very difficult range. I have held as much as 20+ feet of windage at the long range there. The best group I ever shot with my Pedersoli Sharps was at Quigley 3 years ago. Conditions were right and everything came together. By the time I finished the string the spotters were saying "same place again" Gotta love the old technology.

BTW, the last time I was at the Cody range, there was talk of a 1200 yd range. Don't know if they ever got it built.
Old February 13, 2011, 12:19 PM   #18
Jbar4Ranch

I love my Shiloh Saddle Rifle...

... but the smallest group I've ever shot in Black Powder Cartridge was with a .45-70 Uberti Long Range 1874 Sharps last summer - 3 3/8" @ 500 yards with Swiss 1 1/2 and a cast 530 grain Postell bullet. It's topped with a Lee Shaver long range Soule tang sight and spirit level globe front.

According to Dick Trent of Pedersoli USA, Pedersoli makes the ENTIRE rifle for Uberti, not just the barrel.

SASS 47015
Old February 13, 2011, 08:59 PM   #19
rdstrain49

Jbar;

I don't care what they look like. If they will shoot like that, you got a keeper.