The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 19, 2008, 11:40 PM   #1
Sigma 40 Blaster

Speer Nickel Brass - .38 Special

Anyone had problem with this stuff failing?

I had three case failures in one range trip. I inspected the brass before loading, before putting it in my speedloader paying special attention to the case mouths.

My range session was...

Trigger pull ---- poof --- cracked case --- make sure barrel is clear --- shoot

Trigger pull --- POOOOW --- cracked case --- make sure barrel is clear --- where the hell did the bullet hit

Trigger pull --- small poof --- cracked case --- squib

Sure I had rounds that worked, I had previously shot 300 rounds of this stuff with zero problems. Then three failures in one trip. Probably an over-reaction but I chunked all the brass and am deciding if it's worth the risk/pain of shooting the rest.

Is all nickel brass that brittle and hard? I have some Speer for my .45 and I can't tell a difference in sizing or crimping, these guys were noticeably rough on those stages. Anyone else out there just stick to plain brass and trade/chunk nickle stuff? Or is Speer just a bit tougher than the rest?
Old July 20, 2008, 12:33 AM   #2
CraigC

Nickel plated brass "tends" to be harder and more prone to failure after a few loadings but I've been using a couple hundred rounds of their .44Mag brass for a few years with nary a failure. I've used the cases so many times, the plating is worn off of at least half of them.