The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 15, 2014, 06:54 AM   #1
rdtompki

Softer round powder for 9/40?

I'm just starting to acquire reloading equipment. The cartridges will be used for IDPA and related range work so I'd like to find a newbie-tolerant powder that I can use to load both 9 and 40. 231 and N340 seem like good choices based on what I've read, but it's very difficult for someone starting out to relate the load tables to the suitability of a given powder for a particular application. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 15, 2014, 07:10 AM   #2
oldpapps

And the same advice: 'Get/read good loading manual....'

Now that has been covered, I have been using 231 since... it replaced 230 in the early 70's. I have used it for the weakest/softest .32 S&W to some heavy .44 Mags. It is all in how it is used. Oh, 231 is reportedly the same as HP-38.

I have no knowledge of 'N340', so I can not comment on it.

As I see it, the only problem with 231/HP-38 is finding some to buy.

Follow the loadings listed in an accepted loading source, start at the 'beginning load' and enjoy.

OSOK
Old August 15, 2014, 07:56 AM   #3
Shootest

W231/HP38 is a good powder for target loads. Some other good choices Bullseye, AA#2, Unique, Clays, Universal. Hope you can find at least 1 of those. I have no experience with that V (how ever you spell it) company’s powder.
Old August 15, 2014, 10:18 AM   #4
jmorris

Try a Berrys plated 147 with 3.1 g of VV N310 @ 1.160".

I haven't found a softer feeling load that will always make minor, in more than a decade.