The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 16, 2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Black Dog

Problem With New 870

Been away from the forum for a few years so had to re-register.

I just bought a brand new Remington 870 12G Express Synthetic. Model # 25077, 18" barrel.

It has problems ejecting the brass, which seem to just dribbel out of the port or get thrown 6" forward or hang in the port .

I`m pretty sure I`m not short stroking, but really slamming the slide back and my old, now much missed 870 PD I had years ago threw the cases 5-6 feet to right rear.

I bought it pre-assembled off the dealers rack. I cleaned it well before shooting. The ejector hook looks ok and is under spring tension, if a bit light. This problem happens now with over 100 rounds of 4 types of ammo, both high & low brass.

I`m really a pistol guy so I`m lost here and really dread sending a long gun back to Remington.
Old March 16, 2010, 03:41 PM   #2
Scattergun Bob

Black Dog

Perhaps it is a chamber that STILL has gunk from the factory. 0000 steel wool wrapped on a bore brush spun on a cordless drill usually fixes the problem. The rust-proof used by the Remington factory is near undetectable by the naked eye.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old March 16, 2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Hog Buster

Welcome to the world of the new 870s. My grandson just got one and it does the same thing. The new 870s aren’t anywhere near as well built as the old ones. In my opinion they’re only a small step above junk.
Old March 16, 2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Dustin0

Its the chambers are a little nasty of them the steel wool and drill does the trick. You just need to polish it up and they run like a champ.
Old March 16, 2010, 05:51 PM   #5
zippy13

The previous posters are probably on the right path. Just because Remington's assembly instructions start with: 1. Before assembling, clean the barrel… doesn't mean the folks who assembled your gun followed them.

A while ago, there was a thread on what was the very first thing to do with a new shotgun. The replies ran in two veins: Buy ammo and go practice, and folks offered various methods of preparing the gun for its initial assembly. I butted-in to add my two-cents worth around the 20th reply, to me it was a no brainer: Start by reading the instructions that came with the gun.
Old March 16, 2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Incognito

If you just bought that shotgun, it ought to be under warranty, I know it sucks to send your new stick away, but if it doesn't work, Remington should fix it.
Try cleaning it first as suggested, although you already said you did
Old March 16, 2010, 07:20 PM   #7
oneounceload

Besides a thorough cleaning, try using some quality ammo and see if it makes a difference. Many times, folks are using the cheapest ammo and some of the issues can be traced to that.
Old March 16, 2010, 08:12 PM   #8
RoscoeC

When you cycle it cycle it like you are trying to break it. You can't. I bet you will see your shells eject smartly.

You should, of course follow the directions and clean it thoroughly.
NRA Life Member
Old March 17, 2010, 02:00 AM   #9
olddrum1

First you read the manual and if you still have issues you call this number and ask if you have a returnable problem.

1-800-243-9700

Thats Remingtons part and service number. They may have a quick fix.
Old March 17, 2010, 02:31 PM   #10
Black Dog

Follow Up

First thanks for all the help guys.

I disassembled it, inspected it and lubed. I also put on a new 870P barrel I just bought from Remington.

I don`t have a variable speed drill so haven`t done the 0000 steel wool chamber polish yet, but will try that. ( I had thought the too tight chambers problem was fixed by now ?? )

Same problem, a fired shell dribbles out or hangs, almost like it can`t clear the port.... This with Federal Tac., Rem #4, Win. Slugs and Win. Mil surplus 00 buck so it`s not ammo.

What`s interesting is an _unfired shell_ ejects smartly 6 feet to the right rear.

FWIW: I do have a pair, and am slamming the slide back. My old 870P ran like a swiss watch and I never had this issue with any pump.

Called Remington and all they said was send it back to them. No phone fix.They will send me a shipping label and I presume pay the cost.

Very unhappy here since the gun is highly accurate.

This is why I stopped buying new guns 4 years ago.