The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 6, 2008, 07:54 AM   #1
ToeRag

What does it take to become an NRA trainer for Basic Pistol

I was wondering;

most states require a Basic Pistol Safety course to apply for a CCW permit. How do you qualify as an instructor to teach this course?
Old August 6, 2008, 08:06 AM   #2
rantingredneck

IIRC,

there is an instructors course for the NRA basic pistol course that you would have to take to become an NRA certified instructor.

That may or may not qualify you to teach your state's CCW course. Some states recognize that as enough some require an additional training in the self defense laws of the state. NC does not recognize the NRA certificate and requires additional instructor training.
Old August 6, 2008, 08:27 AM   #3
Rob Pincus

TR,

As noted above, it varies from state to state. Contact your local Sheriff's Office, PD or the state agency that issues permits for that specific question. A local gunshop might also know.

The NRA offers a course (3 days, IIRC) through which you can get certified as an instructor through them. See their website.

-RJP
Old August 6, 2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Biff from Oxford

What he said^^^^^^..I had a problem finding someone who teaches the course. Having to wait until December
Old August 6, 2008, 07:58 PM   #5
Dewhitewolf

To become an instructor for NRA Basic Pistol (or rifle, or shotgun, or any other NRA discipline), you must first take the NRA Basic Instructor Training (BIT). This can only be taught by NRA Training Counselors. You can visit NRA's website, under education and training, to find such courses near you.

After BIT, then you choose which discipline(s) you wish to become an instructor in. Again, only a training counselor can teach these.

NRA Basic Pistol does satisfy requirements for a carry permit in some states, but I wouldn't go so far as to say most (by definition, more than half). It varies by state (FL will accept any firearm training course, not just pistol).

Basic Pistol only teaches safe gun handling and basic marksmanship; it does NOT teach defensive or tactical shooting, nor does it go over legal consequences. These also vary by state. I caution anyone I know who carries, whose formal training is limited to a basic pistol course.
Old August 16, 2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Pat-inCO

What you want was Basic Pistol and Personal Protection. Now it is Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the home and Personal protection outside the home.
Old August 23, 2008, 05:28 PM   #7
Larry $

Check the NRA website and follow the appropriate links. I just got my Basic Rifle Instructor last month. It's not an impossible class, but they do make you earn your certificate. At least the classes I took did, and that's as it ought to be. Make sure that when you put the classes on your calendar, there is nothing else required of you during that time. But then again, I'm one of those "gotta get a 4.0 gpa" types.
Old August 30, 2008, 08:53 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

Is NRA membership required?
Old August 30, 2008, 09:28 AM   #9
kraigwy

Quote:
most states require a Basic Pistol Safety course to apply for a CCW permit. How do you qualify as an instructor to teach this course
Differant states Very:

Wyoming requires any NRA Instructor Course. I found it Odd, they wouldnt accept my FBI Firearm Instructor Course, or any of my Military Coaches Courses, but Would accept my NRA LE Rifle Instructors Course to certify as an CC Instructor.

Oh, and Wyoming accepts the Hunter Safty Course to allow one to get a CC Perment though no actual shooting is required in the HS Class.

Wyoming also accepts DD214s.

Go figure
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 30, 2008, 04:16 PM   #10
Dewhitewolf

NRA Membership is NOT required to be an instructor. It is only required to become a training counselor (those who train the instructors).

If I remember correctly, the NRA requires instructors to teach at least one course per year. This is to discourage the existence of instructors who don't instruct.
Old August 31, 2008, 07:19 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

Thank you.