The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 23, 1999, 05:15 PM   #1
Joe Portale

Hello all,

I have been having trouble with a Sprinfield 1911 pistol. It seems that no matter what I try, I can't get the gun to throw brass normally. After rounds are fired, the empty rounds fly 15-20 feet in every direction including straight up! I have rounded and polished the extractor head, tried taking some of the tension out by bending the extractor shaft away from the bullet, and even had the ejection port opened a little. Anyone have any suggestions? OBTW this is a stock gun with no added extras or after market things added, to my knowledge.

Joe P.
Old June 23, 1999, 07:30 PM   #2
motorep

Did you check to see that the extractor had enough tension? If the case slips out of the extractor it can go in any (almost)direction. Also, you didn't mention the ejector, is it angled properly ? I kind of think I'd look at the extractor tension first, though. Oh yeah, is the hook deep enough ? (Thoughts coming in random order).
Old June 23, 1999, 10:01 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Joe - I agree with motorep on extractor tension. Except for the port opening, the things you did may have made the situation worse. George will most likely have good advice on adjusting the extractor, but in general it should be able to hold a 230 gr round from falling when the slide is open and level. Weigand makes a good little guage to help with this adjustment. You can get it straight from him or from Brownell's.

If the tension is too light, who knows where the empty will be when it hits the ejector, if it does?
Old June 23, 1999, 10:24 PM   #4
Mikey

If the brass is going 15-20 feet then the recoil spring is almost certainly too light. I find the Wolf 18 1/2 pound to be about right for most 5" 1911's in 45 cal. I also think a full length guide rod aids in consistency but that may just be my opinion.

Mal H and motorep have pretty well covered the extractor/ejector topic.

Mikey
Old June 23, 1999, 10:28 PM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Joe, if you go to www.m1911.org you will find a link to tecnical issues. There Bill Wilson discusses adjusting the extractor. It seems like I answered this question yesterday somewhere else, but on the face of it, with all things being equal, your recoil spring is too light for the load you're using. Try going up a pound or two. I normally don't recommend this but, if you have a stock ejector, not a commander type, then your recoil spring is not doing it's job to protect your frame. George
Old June 23, 1999, 10:28 PM   #6
zot

weak recoil spring, premature slide opening,
barrel might not be locking right,is the
"normal" way brass should fall just to the right and slightly behind you??? I usually get one on the top of the head, are you shooting mil-spec or reloads or +P ? is gun
new or old? what do cases look like? so many
things, weak firing pin spring could hang up
pin and would knock case different,CCI aluminum cases , ejector might be wrong angle
or worn out. my $3.39 worth:}
Old June 24, 1999, 11:01 AM   #7
Joe Portale

Thanks for all the suggestions. I believe that the extractor angle/tension is correct. I will pickup a new recoil spring today and see what that does. Also, I heard that a common fault with Springfields is that the factory extractor is too long. Anyone else
hear this?

Thanks

Joe
Old June 24, 1999, 08:24 PM   #8
HankL

Joe, Thinking on all of the above, please tell us exactly what you are fireing in this puppy. It would help all of the folks who are trying to help you.
Sound's to me like hot load, weak spring, and burr somewhere. IMHO Hank
Have fun, be safe, and stay knee deep in brass!
Old June 24, 1999, 10:05 PM   #9
Joe Portale

For those who asked, I'm rolling mine own. I shoot 230 grain lead round nose in front of 5.0 grains of Red Dot. These rounds chrono out between 875 and 900 feet per second. It is a stout load, but not what I would consider hot.

Today, I replaced the recoil spring and released some of the tension on the extractor. These changes helped a lot! Thanks to all. I'm still open to suggestions or comments.

Joe
Old June 25, 1999, 01:55 PM   #10
leapfrog

My experience has been that the Wolff Variable Power 18 1/2 lb. recoil spring is the way to go with all full power loads. If I were shooting a steady diet of +P rounds, be sure to put a shock buff in the gun, at least for practice. I also concur with Mal H, the Weigand tool for adjusting extractor tension is worthwhile.