The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 1, 2012, 07:03 PM   #1
JJF

Not very revolver smart. Asking for input.

Hello to all!

During my last visit to an out of town gun store in December I ran across an American Western Arms Conversion style revolver that looks just like the Cimarron Transitional Conversion that I already own. I should be revisiting them again soon and if they still have the item, I may consider it again. Other than the fact that the manufacturer is not very highly regarded from what I've seen around the web, the pistol had a slight issue that I would need advice on before I would be able to decide if to purchase or not. The issue that I noticed is that as the cylinder rotates, there is more drag (I think against the barrel mouth) for about 1/3 to 1/2 of a full 360 degree rotation. At first I thought perhaps the barrel pin may not have been properly reattached after the last disassembly, but then realized that should in my mind cause the increased rub throughout the entire 360 rotation. So, my only conclusion was that the cylinder itself must have not been machined completly "square" to spec. The cylinder rotation seemed normal other than in the increased drag area. Other than just being sloppy workmanship, I wondered if this would even be a true concern. Is there anything my limited smarts is missing? Or, should I just stay away from this pistol altogether?

Thanks for any help and considerations.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:18 PM   #2
zullo74

If the price is right, the 'problems' you cited are not that serious. It sounds like the arbor needs to be properly fitted and the front of the cylinder sanded square.
Old May 1, 2012, 08:19 PM   #3
JJF

Price. I haven't yet mentioned that concern of mine also. It is on consignment, so I guessed maybe some wiggle room, maybe not. The pistol was pretty much like new with one semi-deep nick on the barrel near the front on the bottom. Was not deep enough to remove any finish though. It was priced at what I'll guess is about $100-$150 above what most people will put its value at...$450.00. Any thoughts?, Thanks.
Old May 1, 2012, 08:27 PM   #4
zullo74

If I were you, I would point out the problems and then deal with the owner about the price. $100 off would do it for me.
Old May 1, 2012, 10:11 PM   #5
JJF

Thank you very much zullo74!