The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 12, 2014, 12:10 AM   #1
Bella

Hunters

In my current gun collection I do not have a small, pocket type semi auto pistol. I intend to rectify that situation soon.

Is there any model that could be used for hunting? I do mean small game at reasonable ranges. I guess I wonder if any would be accurate enough.

Has anyone tried this?
Old October 12, 2014, 12:20 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

The size of the gun usually isn't a big factor in the inherent accuracy of the firearm itself, but it does play a HUGE part in how well a shooter can make the gun perform.

In addition, pocket pistols, small self-defense pistols in general, often aren't particularly well-equipped when it comes to sights.

For those reasons, anything that would qualify as a pocket pistol would usually be considered a relatively poor choice for most any kind of hunting.
Old October 12, 2014, 12:35 AM   #3
Snyper

Many states have minimum barrel lengths for hunting to prevent people from shooting at animals with everything that will fire a bullet.

Here it's a 22 LR only, 6" minimum for small game
Old October 12, 2014, 12:38 AM   #4
Sevens

It would be tough to make a quality case for a pocket-sized pistol in the role of a hunting handgun... however, I would suggest that almost -any- pistol that utilizes a fixed barrel certainly has a chance of making quality hits on a target (or small animal) and if you're in tune with how the tiny sights mesh with where the bullet hits, the results could be satisfactory.

A tiny pistol with a fixed barrel can deliver very repeatable hits.
Old October 12, 2014, 05:15 AM   #5
s3779m

For BIG pockets a ruger mk3 would be great.
Old October 12, 2014, 02:54 PM   #6
jmr40

Not a pocket gun, but I have one of the 22/45's from Ruger with a 4" barrel. I've carried it occasionally for the chance at a rabbit or squirrel.