The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 28, 2015, 11:25 AM   #1
BoogieMan

value of 43 colt 1911

Found a colt 1943, 1911.
condition is 95% plus. Very light holster wear and a couple of nicks from the link pin but no idiot mark.
$1250 firm. Should I jump on it
numbers match
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 28, 2015, 12:06 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I don't usually get into Internet Price Is Right, but the way surplus .45s have been going, that is an excellent deal. Assuming it is all original. Good that the numbers match; what about the barrel?
Old April 28, 2015, 12:09 PM   #3
BoogieMan

Are you asking if the numbers match on barrel or the condition?
Condition is A++. This gun probably has a round count at the most a few hundred.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 28, 2015, 12:37 PM   #4
RickB

If the gun is as described, $1250 is a bargain.
Matching slide and frame is given too much importance, but that's the way the market works.
Old April 28, 2015, 12:54 PM   #5
Jim Watson

The barrel will not be numbered but a 1943 Colt barrel was marked "Colt .45 Auto" on the lower left side of the chamber, just above the link lug and "P" on the link lug. Probably an "F", "N", "D", or "7" on the bottom of the barrel; maybe a leftover "G" barrel depending on when in 1943.

A High Standard or Flannery Bolt barrel would definitely be a replacement, as would one with Colt 45 Auto on the top of the chamber.
Old April 28, 2015, 01:08 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

You mean a milsurp 1911A1?
I've seen mix masters on-line at well over 2 grand USD. A guy on M14forum.com was selling one in 2011 for $3500. Either the seller has no idea what he has, it's not a '43 vintage milsurp or he's messing with the world. A few hundred rounds only isn't likely either. However, if a miracle is happening, you 'd best jump on it PDQ.
Old April 28, 2015, 02:13 PM   #7
BoogieMan

Just came back from giving LGS my money. It is a '42 not a '43. Stamped with WB. Everything that you guys have mentioned (thank you) checked out. Feed ramp has no sign of marks from feeding ball ammo and isnt park, the top of barrel has only one line from the slide being racked, new detent on hammer face, all that together leads me to believe that shot count is very low. After seeing it again in better light I will say that the finish is more like 90% not 90-95%. Has a few nicks, most likely from the last owner who inherited it and sold it to my LGS. LGS probably bought it for under $500. I cant wait to pick it up. Have to wait for my NJ pistol purchase permits to come in. Hope its soon
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 28, 2015, 03:06 PM   #8
KeithNyst

If all the finish and parts are orignal and 90%, to me it sounds like $2500+ pistol. Look forward to detail pics.
Old April 28, 2015, 03:54 PM   #9
Jim Watson

WB?
Are you kidding me?
Col. Waldemar Broberg was chief inspector at Colt for not quite a year, not the shortest term on record but close.
Adds more value.
Old April 29, 2015, 05:57 AM   #10
BoogieMan

I was comfortable with the purchase. But, you guys have me very excited now. I hope I didnt miss anything and it turns out to be a dud. This is my first historical firearm with any significance. All my other old stuff is Com Bloc and has very low collector value like M1895, or was bought new like 460xvr.
Now I have to find a '42 Garand to match the M1911.
I am 2 weeks into my wait for my NJ Permits, hoping that I have them within another 2-weeks.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 30, 2015, 01:36 AM   #11
Northrider

Congratulations on a great find to add to your collection. The word envious comes to mind.