The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 2, 2012, 09:55 AM   #1
BleedinPurple

My Budget AR build is coming together

Hey guys,
just the other day i received my Spikes Upper from AIM Surplus(great to deal with...free and fast shipping) ...really excited to get this project done...

I recevied the Spikes 14.5 inch Mid Length Lightweight Upper with pinned dynacomp muzzle brake to make it the legal 16 inches...the upper came with MOE furniture and tested BCG and flat top receiver...

just this morning i purchased a PSA blemished lower from Palmetto State Armory and am having it shipped to my ffl...(in stock as of 10AM for 59.00 plus 7 dollars shipping)

i have heard that PSA blemished lowers are high quality and for most people receiving them they cant even find the blemishes...so im excited...

has anyone here done a build with a blemished PSA lower and how was the experience? i know psa guarantees proper function from the lower and that the blems are strictly cosmetic but i would like to hear from someone that has used these

next to purchase is a lower build kit and i will probably wait for a PSA daily deal to get the entire MOE lower build kit so i will have everything together in a package...PICS to come once i get this thing finished...but unfortunately for good old MD is going to be a few weeks because of MD's nice long waiting period for regulated firearms...

Ok im done...happy shooting
Old November 2, 2012, 05:08 PM   #2
BillyJack3

I have a very similar build. Spike's upper (14.5" Middie CHF) on a Spike's lower with a PSA MOE Build Kit. Love the crap out of it! You should be good to go with the PSA blem lower. Definitely post pics when done.

Old November 2, 2012, 10:17 PM   #3
BleedinPurple

ahhh thank you for that picture...that is exactly what mine is going to look like minus the hammer forged barrel...mine is the lightweight version...but that thing looks real pretty and im real psyched to see what mine will look like...

and im pretty sure the blem lower will be just fine...i figure the first time i put this thing through it paces and maybe even take a class the lower will pick up a scratch or 2...this thing will not be a safe queen...

this next 2 weeks or so is going to be brutal
Old November 3, 2012, 12:11 AM   #4
djcantr

I've picked up four of their blemished stripped lowers and two of their blemished stripped uppers. I think you'll be real pleased with yours. I was only able to find a blemishes in a couple of them and they were tiny. It will get dinged up more than that during assembly and the first time I take them out. I'd stock up on those lowers as they're an excellent value. I'll probably buy a few more soon. Good luck!
Old November 3, 2012, 03:08 PM   #5
BillyJack3

Thanks. I love the way mine looks and functions. It wasn't a blem lower until I installed the LPK and slipped when I was inserting one of the pins. Then, it was a real nice blem lower!
Old November 3, 2012, 05:17 PM   #6
BleedinPurple

haha thats why i wasnt that concerned with getting a blem...i am no surgeon and im sure there will be a nick or 2 when i put the lower together...i just cant wait to get her all done...

i just need to figure out what i want to do for sights...i think im going to start small and just get mbus rear sight...and then maybe a strikefire vortex red dot in the future once i get some rounds through her
Old November 15, 2012, 12:03 AM   #7
BleedinPurple

Just a little update:

My PSA "blem" lower arrived at my FFL today and my MOE lower build kit came today from PSA...i dont know who was rating these lowers that came out of that factory, but as i have heard from many people these PSA lowers are flawless...i looked over it for a good 10 minutes just wondering if i was going to find anything and it was beautiful...this must just be their excuse to get rid of some inventory at great price(59.99).

The MOE lower build kit from PSA inculded everything I am going to need to finish the lower when I am finally able to pick up my lower(about a week)...everything comes nicely bagged away and all the parts look well oiled...MOE stock and mil spec buffer tube also included...

I also ordered 10 nmhtg magazines, from what i have read are just about as good as they come as far as aluminum magazines go...i plan to buy 10 PMags as soon as i can build some cash back up...

cant wait to get this thing built, but now i just have to wait for the good ol state of MD and their lovely 7 day waiting period...

as soon as i get her done im going to post some pics

Last edited by BleedinPurple; November 16, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:53 AM   #8
BleedinPurple

One thing that i would like your opinions on is the rear sight...im going with a fixed rear and i have it narrowed down to the Daniel Defense A1.5 which is going for about 66 shipped or the Fixed Troy Battle sight which i have found for 50...i have seen reviews for both of them, but are they both so similar that it just comes down to preference...the A1.5 definitely looks bulkier but i cant decide and i need to buy one in the next couple of days...any opinions would be great
Old November 18, 2012, 12:12 AM   #9
uradaisyifudo

Nice thread, I have been thinking about a build along those same lines, saw the psa blemished lowers and was intrigued. Just mounted a set of troy folders on my fnar, where I also have the vortex strikefire which I will probably move to the 223 build and put a longer range scope on the 308...fun hobby/habbit but it costs money and requires patience. What I like about the folding sights is they will lay flat, out of the way for different scope configurations. Thanks for sharing your build, more food for thought.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:35 AM   #10
Quentin2

You say you want a fixed rear sight. Have you given thought to flip up instead? Good ones are reliable and fold down to get out of the way then at a push of a lever pop up and return to zero. I like the MBUS 2 myself.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:51 AM   #11
BleedinPurple

i had thought about the flip ups, but since i dont really see any optics going on there in the immediate future i liked the idea of having a fixed sight...this is more of a HD shtf type weapon and i just felt like irons would be a good start...i figure get good with iron sights and once the optics go on it should make things even easier...

thanks for the responses though...i ended up going with the DD a1.5 fixed rear as i have seen many positive reviews about it...

unfortunately i dont think i am going to have everything before thanksgiving so i probably will not actually get to pick up my lower until friday...but thats ok because my magazines and rear sight havent arrived yet...and i have no ammo...

that will be the next thing i buy...

but ill tell you, there really is no such thing as a budget build...without ammo i am already about 900 in to the gun with 10 magazines...but i did get 150 dollars cash back on my credit card!
Old November 18, 2012, 08:34 AM   #12
sailskidrive

What part of Maryland are you in?

I usually use the LWRC flip up sights on my builds and buy them from 2A Sales in Jessup.

For HD you're probably going to want a red dot sight, not irons.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:22 AM   #13
BillyJack3

Good call on the DD fixed rear sight. It made the final on my list also.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:58 AM   #14
BleedinPurple

Im in the Hagerstown area...

also while a red dot is something that i would like to have down the line, as it is right now the funds just arent there to spend 3-500 dollars for an Aimpoint or Eotech.

while there are cheaper red dot alternatives i would rather spend the extra money on ammunition rather than a red dot at this point..
Old November 18, 2012, 11:33 AM   #15
sailskidrive

The dwell time has got to be pretty short on a 14.5" mid length; it should be a soft shooter. BillyJack have you had any under gassing issues?

I've been seriously thinking about picking up another Spikes upper. I'll be interested in your review of the mid length after you get some range time.

Regarding the red dot, I currently own an AimPoint Comp3, EOtech XPS, and a Trijicon SRS. I think you're smart to wait on the optic until you can afford one of the better ones. I've owned the Vortex Strike Fire, a Burris, and a Bushnell; none of them are as good as the first three. In my opinion its worth the wait.

Currently, the Trijicon is my favorite.

Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old November 18, 2012, 07:22 PM   #16
BleedinPurple

that is a beast of a red dot..ive never seen a trijicon red dot, but that thing looks nice...but unfortunately that thing costs more than my entire build...

maybe someday!
Old November 21, 2012, 01:21 AM   #17
BleedinPurple

one other thing..i believe that the MOE lower build kit from PSA came with a carbine buffer...is there any issue running the carbine buffer with the mid length gas system..

i dont really think this would be an issue but i see many threads talking about H buffers and all of that other technical stuff, but dont have any experience...