The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 2, 2001, 10:41 PM   #1
Ought Six

On a breezy day, pick an open shooting spot with the wind at your back and a safe backstop. Blow up a bunch of ballons (match # of ballons to weapon ammo capacity) and put them in a large trashbag. Have the shooter stand at the ready, and have someone just behind the shooter shake out the trashbag, holding it by the bottom. The ballons will skitter along the ground bobbing over terrain features. The shooter tries to get them all before they get away. This is lots of fun, and develops good shooting skills on small, unpredictible moving targets.
Old January 3, 2001, 08:54 AM   #2
Gopher .45

This exercise is much harder than it sounds. We used balloons dropped from several feet of the ground and all the shooter had to do was start from the ready position and bring the gun up and fire. More than one of us emptied a magazine trying to hit one balloon at 7 yards. What made the drill difficult was that the balloon bobbed around some, did not fall straight, and new misses created currents causing more bobbing.
Old January 3, 2001, 08:56 AM   #3
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

Sounds like a PITA to me, but could be very good practive for bunny hunting.

I'll have to try this next time I get out.

I don't approve of political jokes, I've seen too many of them get elected.