The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 24, 2016, 03:07 PM   #1
puppyface

Has anyone contacted Glock on erratic ejection ?

I have a new Glock 30 that ejects casings up and sometimes off the forehead. I noticed that the problem is more pronounced when firing standard velocity ammo; 230 gr fmj, and it seem to improved when using faster HP's. I know that this is a problem that has been discussed a lot on the net. Has anyone here contacted Glock with the same issue, and what was their response....Thanks.
Old November 24, 2016, 05:48 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

Wear a baseball cap pulled low on your head. Problem solved.
Old November 24, 2016, 06:53 PM   #3
burrhead

Call Glock and complain. After they blow you off buy a new extractor.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old November 24, 2016, 07:01 PM   #4
puppyface

I am expecting that
Old November 24, 2016, 07:35 PM   #5
lee n. field

Are you having any actual failures to extract and/or eject?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 24, 2016, 07:52 PM   #6
Indawind

I just consider it a little slice of Glock Perfection.
Old November 24, 2016, 07:54 PM   #7
puppyface

No failures to extract or eject, just erratic ejection patterns.
Old November 24, 2016, 09:55 PM   #8
4 Paws

Same issue here also. Been shooting Glock pistols for 25 yrs. Recently picked up a gen 4 model 34 and have noticed more than a few times spent casings bouncing off my face. Never experienced this with any previous model or generation pistol.
Old November 24, 2016, 10:49 PM   #9
g.willikers

As you have discovered, the ejection pattern is dependent on the ammo.
And also on the recoil spring.
The usual method to get perfect ejection is to choose a spring and ammo that gives the results you want and stick with that.
Old November 25, 2016, 01:55 AM   #10
Sarge

This question comes up regularly at Armorer school and at the last one, we were told that Glock's position is that as long as fired cases are getting clear of the gun, the extractor/ejector are doing their jobs. But if I had a pistol that dinged me all the time, I'd find a way to correct it.
Old November 25, 2016, 10:30 AM   #11
puppyface

Settling on one or two brands of ammo might get you though the day at the range, but It does not fix the problem. I'll call Glock. If they tell me that the new Gen 4 pistols were designed to operate with poor exjection and hot brass in the face of the operator is "just part of the Glock experience" or some other BS ,I will have to moved on to a better brand Thanks for your replies.
Old November 25, 2016, 10:52 AM   #12
g.willikers

"part of the Glock experience."
Now that's funny, right there.
If their PR was a little sharper, they could have claimed the erratic ejection was part of their training procedures included with every gun.
You know - shoot and move, shoot and move.
"We meant to do that."
Eghads.
Old November 25, 2016, 11:51 AM   #13
puppyface

I have a 26 that I like and works "perfect" But I hope Glock is not starting to believe their own hype.....if they think they can sell guns just on a name and then turn out a sub standard product....... there are a lot of stories on the net similar to mine. I'll call them but I just hate getting screwed by someone over the phone.
Old November 25, 2016, 12:20 PM   #14
TunnelRat

Quote:
But I hope Glock is not starting to believe their own hype.....
There have been cases of ejection problems for some time TBH. Randy Lee at APEX Tactical Specialties has a whole article out there somewhere about the less than ideal ejection patterns of Glocks going back a number of years. In 70 something handguns I've owned (with a number of duplicates and probably a dozen or so Glocks in 9mm) I have to say that the ejection pattern of Glocks seems more problematic than any number of other pistols. Now all that said I still carry Glocks and use Glocks for home defense.

I've found that for whatever reason the older Glocks tend to have fewer issues with ejection (again all my experience is with 9mm Glocks). It's at the point where I follow the following guide in terms of serial number range:
https://looserounds.com/2014/09/30/b...t-to-look-for/.
The irony of this is I don't have an issue with MIM and have a number of pistols with MIM parts that work fine. But I have owned a number of older Glocks whose ejection has been better than basically all of the newer Glocks I owned (I know it's not problematic when I never have to think about it). I've actually found newer Gen 3s more problematic in ejection pattern than the Gen 4s.

Case in point I have a 2013 Gen 3 whose ejection pattern was off the forehead regularly when I got it (multiple times a magazine). I tried an APEX extractor, the 30274 ejector, and mixed and mashed. I found the stock extractor and the 30274 ejector mostly took care of the ejection problems. I still get the occasional case off the head but very infrequent really. You shouldn't have to do that kind of dance though. Now any number of people will likely respond that they've owned any number of newer Glocks with 0 ejection problems and I can't discount that. It seems like a very inconsistent issue.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 25, 2016, 01:41 PM   #15
JDBerg

I had the BTF problem with my Gen4 G-22 and the replacement upgrade ejector seemed to fix the problem. But eventually I let that one go anyway.

But seriously, if you are concentrating on all the factors that go into properly hitting your targets, rather than being unduly preoccupied with how & where the brass is flying, you just might be doing a better job of hitting the targets!
Old November 25, 2016, 01:44 PM   #16
VoodooMountain

I never contacted glock but I had this issue in a gen 4 19. I sanded the stock extractor out of curiosity based on something I read online and it worked pretty well but I still had btf.

Swapped to an aftermarket extractor and still have occasional btf.

I have swapped rsa and ejectors as well.

This particular gun also has failure to extract one every hundred rounds or so and it's the only 9mm glock, of 4, that I have this issue with.

It very much upsets me that I can buy an inexpensive $300 pistol that works like a charm but glock seems to be going backwards. It's bad enough they want $500 for these things. They should at least keep pace with a hi point for crying out loud.
Old November 25, 2016, 01:48 PM   #17
noonesshowmonkey

One of these:

http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=7291&CAT=748

and a new extractor.

$30, a punch, and maybe 10 minutes of time.
Old November 25, 2016, 02:25 PM   #18
puppyface

TunnelRat: Your right Glock should be all over this if it is a problem. I don't think anyone buys a Glock thinking that they may have to upgrade parts in order to make it right. They have built the reputation of ready for duty out of the box. Our department issued Glock .40's about midpoint in my career. No problems that I remember. My 26 Gen 3 ejects without issues.
Old November 25, 2016, 02:31 PM   #19
puppyface

Might try a new extractor and ejector, cheap enough. I really don't like sending guns back.
Old November 25, 2016, 02:37 PM   #20
puppyface

Voodoo mountain: Yea, I have two "cheap" pistols have proved to be more reliable that my $500 plus Glock. one is a CZ 83 and the other is a Makarov ( see attachment) I bought a month ago new in the box for $285.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (239.5 KB, 33 views)
Old November 25, 2016, 03:18 PM   #21
AK103K

Quote:
Settling on one or two brands of ammo might get you though the day at the range, but It does not fix the problem.
So youre going to blame Glock for you using ammo that may be the issue?

Inconsistent ammo most certainly will cause the problem you describe. If it bothers you, and you dont reload, or buy good lots you know work by the case, then at least buy the brands that work by the box.

I get similar results with pretty much everything I shoot, if Im constantly mixing up the ammo, or, in the case of autoloading handguns, using reloads that have been heavily cycled through the queue.

My autoloading rifles, and SMG's, have always had a tendency to put brass in different places and at different distances, based on what it was I was shooting out of them. I see similar results with my handguns as well.

One thing I discovered after being told by the internet that I needed a new extractor for one of my Glcoks was, it wasnt the extractor, but my well worn, and worn out brass that was the issue.

I replaced the extractor, and the problem continued. Then I noticed that when I was shooting new, factory brass, the problem went away (mostly Winchester +P+ and Federal +P+ with some Winchester NATO mixed in).

Switch back to my reloads, and depending where I was in the queue, it was either good, or not so good, with the oldest lots being the latter. Once I was becoming convinced that it was my brass, and not the extractor, I put the "old" extractor back in, and tried it again. Guess what? Ran fine with new factory brass, and not so good with the worn out lots of reloads. Its still in the gun now as I type, and has had tens of thousands of round through it since.

For me, it seems that the rims become torn up from constant use, and the extractor has to deal with out of spec brass.

The plus side to all this is, I get to practice all sorts of unplanned and random failure drills while I practice.

One other thing to consider here too is, how you grip the gun. If youre inconsistent in doing so, it can also have a similar effect.
Old November 25, 2016, 03:36 PM   #22
puppyface

The standard velocity ammo ( 230gr. ball) seems to be worst than the faster hollow points I tried. So, in part, ammo is a factor. But....In my own past experience with Glocks, they always worked out of the box with all types of ammo. That for me was the main attraction for buying them. So yes I am going to blame Glock for the ammo I use. I remember guys having to spend a lot of time and money getting the RIGHT factory load for their 1911's. I want a gun that runs ball ammo, 230 gr. period. My Springer Loaded with eat ANYTHING even steel case but I don't like to carry all day and feel like I have an anchor on my belt.

Last edited by puppyface; November 25, 2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old November 25, 2016, 03:49 PM   #23
AK103K

Well, as was noted, Glock seems to think if the empties are being extracted, and clearing the gun, the gun is working, and it is. Not saying its not annoying though.

If the ammo youre using, isnt consistent, then youre E&E is likely not going to be either. Thats just what it is.

This really isnt just a Glock problem either, although you do seem to hear about it a lot more on the internet.

If you reload, I think you could prove this theory pretty easily to yourself. Load up a 100 or so rounds using new brass, and randomly load them up and down the scale in the data table. Shoot them and see what happens.

Load another 100 at the proper power level, and see what happens.

I have a feeling, youre going to find the full power loads are more consistent.

Hopefully, they arent the ones consistently in your face.
Old November 25, 2016, 04:08 PM   #24
puppyface

I run factory exclusively. Geco seems to work the best. Winchester White Box and the bulk Remington are in the middle. Sellier and Bellot seem to make the problem worst. If the new Glocks run better on faster, lighter ammo, thats cool with me. I am just saying that in the past, the main attraction of carrying Glocks for me, besides the weight, was the reliability with a full range of ammo. If that has changed with the Gen 4's, I going to lose interest.
Old November 25, 2016, 04:23 PM   #25
VoodooMountain

Quote:
I run factory exclusively. Geco seems to work the best. Winchester White Box and the bulk Remington are in the middle. Sellier and Bellot seem to make the problem worst. If the new Glocks run better on faster, lighter ammo, thats cool with me. I am just saying that in the past, the main attraction of carrying Glocks for me, besides the weight, was the reliability with a full range of ammo. If that has changed with the Gen 4's, I going to lose interest.
I find that interesting. The issue doesn't seem to be a direct correlation with how hot the ammo is as I've noticed through reloads and factory.

What piques my interest is the fact that S&B is problematic. It's a warmish load, brass case, fmj, but the case rim on S&B is different and is fairly well known to not run reliably in some guns.

To me this points to a geometry issue with the glock. Either in the Extractor, ejector, slide, or a combo therein.