The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2016, 05:35 PM   #1
Nick_C_S

Range Report: 44 Mag; 240 JSP; HS-6

Hi gang,

Since I got my 629 w/5" bbl, I've been meaning to do this work up. Prior, my only 44 was a 629 w/8-3/8" bbl. I was a recoil junkie back when I was shooting my 8" "Dirty Harry." The 5" + 30 years of aging requires something a little more tame.

It was only natural that HS-6 got the call. I've loaded 240/HS-6 in the past (it was W540 back then), but it wasn't long before I moved to WOT flame throwers packed with super slow stuff, and the HS-6 load recipe was lost to antiquity.

This was done in two range sessions. Speer #14 runs from 12.3gn to 13.7gn. I first decided that I wasn't going to attempt max. So I mentally started at 13.5 and worked back in 0.3gn increments - 13.5, 13.2, 12.9, 12.6. Knowing HS-6 as well as I do, I decided to save a step and skip the 12.3 (generally not a recommended practice).

The first session was on 5/10 and was the 12.6 and the 12.9. I didn't want to go any further in the first session until I got to see how they were running - besides, I had already skipped one step (the 12.3).

The second session was today. And I overlapped the 12.9 - but they were produced during a different load session. This is good practice to see how consistent one's loading technique is from session to session; and it is thus, something I do frequently. It can sometimes be eye opening and humbling. But not today

All data are 10-round samples. All are from my 629 Classic 5". Bullet is a Speer 240 grain JSP (#4457); Brass = mixed and old ; Primer = CCI 350 (magnum primer). I fired a cylinder of 44 Spl lead wadcutters before each string to lube the barrel for consistency. Here goes . . .

12.6 grains: 1132 f/s; 17.05 SD.
12.9 grains: 1143 f/s; 25.94 SD. (on 5/10/16)
12.9 grains: 1149 f/s; 16.97 SD. (on 7/26/16 - different batch than above)
13.2 grains: 1158 f/s; 14.96 SD.
13.5 grains: 1172 f/s; 17.14 SD. - primers were flattened; and two cases were difficult to extract. Both difficult to extract cases had a peculiar sharp bulge near the case head. I discarded them. And that would be the edge of safety - no more.

HS-6 likes heavy bullets and all these rounds ran clean. I have decided to "set" the recipe at 13.0 - seems like a good place to me . I'll load up a box of 50 and take 'em for a spin for further evaluation (clean running, accurate, etc.); but I'm pretty sure I have my recipe.

What was highly noteworthy was the much reduced recoil and report compared to my old 22.5gn W296 recipe. While the W296 loading is a huge booming round; the HS-6 loading isn't nearly as loud and the recoil is more of a quick snap, rather than a huge drawn out thrusting. Vast difference. Yes, the W296 runs 1194 f/s, but that extra 30 or 40 f/s comes at a big expense. It's no longer worth it to me. These HS-6 rounds are going to be a mainstay in my 44 Mag stock. I am very pleased.
Old July 26, 2016, 06:34 PM   #2
CommandoX

Thank you for the update and information Nick_C_S.

I've been kinda itching to try HS-6 but keep remembering how much powder I already have on hand. I think you've given me the excuse I needed.
Old July 27, 2016, 04:22 AM   #3
SARuger

Hmmm, I use 2400 right now with a 10.5" barrel and 240g XTP.

I have a couple of bottles of HS-6 that I use and love in 9mm/124g.

Might have to give it a test!
Old July 27, 2016, 12:10 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I've been kinda itching to try HS-6 but keep remembering how much powder I already have on hand.
Although I do like HS-6, it is ironically on my list of powders that I will not replenish. I have about 1.5 #'s of it right now. I suspect it'll be exhausted in about a year - maybe a little less.

When the shortage of '13 hit, I was buying every powder I could get ahold of. My inventory increased to 13 powders; and I liked them all for various purposes. I have found that each and every one does at least one thing really well. But it's time to simplify my inventory. I have now selected four to keep; and the remainder will not be replenished. HS-6 is on the cut list.

Quote:
Hmmm, I use 2400 right now
I recently bought my first # of 2400 to replace W296. 2400 is a little more versatile. I've done workups with it for 158 357 Mag. Haven't done any for 44 Mag yet. I will eventually - mostly for my Marlin 20" lever-action. But right now, I have a bunch of 240's already loaded with W296. I have no more W296, btw. It was on the cut list too

As far as low-recoil type rounds as purposed in my OP, when I'm out of HS-6, I'll do a workup with Unique. I have 2 #'s of that stuff too, with very little use for it. Unique is on the cut list too - but between HS-6 and Unique, were talking years worth of the above-purposed ammo. After that, I suspect I'll move to non-cut-list Power Pistol. But that's way down the road.

Quote:
I have a couple of bottles of HS-6 that I use and love in 9mm/124g.
Me too. It makes great 9mm ammo - 124's and 147's. 115's, not so much. I can't state it enough: HS-6 likes heavy bullets - that's the key to loading it "right." At any rate, it works best and is a little less weight persnickity in semi-auto cartridges. In revolvers, it definitely needs the heavies to run right.
Old August 18, 2016, 09:04 PM   #5
sixgunluv

I've been running 6.7gr of HS-6 under MG 115 for years with excellent accuracy in the 9mm....i don't understand it when people claim that it's only acceptable with heavy bullets.
I've also been using 12gr of HS-6 under a 250gr lead bullet in the 44mag with equally pleasing results.
Old August 20, 2016, 10:12 AM   #6
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I don't understand it when people claim that it's only acceptable with heavy bullets.
I never said that HS-6 is "only acceptable" with heavy bullets. I said HS-6 "likes heavy bullets;" and it does.

It's been my extensive experience with HS-6 that it performs best pushing heavy bullets. My chronograph tells me that ES's and SD's are consistently much lower pushing the heavies. However, this phenomenon is much more pronounced when loading cavernous revolver cartridges.

As I mentioned, HS-6 is "a little less weight persnickity in semi-auto cartridges." With that, I have little doubt that you've made some fine 9mm ammo with HS-6/115's. Checking my chronograph logs, I've loaded 115's with HS-6 and have had some good results - but not great results. That same chrono data also tells me that HS-6 "settled down" and gave me more consistent results under 124's and 147. Furthermore, with 115's I had much more consistent results - and higher velocities - using Power Pistol. So my "set" recipe for high velocity 115's is with Power Pistol.

As far as accuracy goes - and this is across all chamberings - it has been my experience that the biggest factor - by far - is bullet selection. If the bullet shoots accurate in your gun (must fit the barrel properly, I would suspect), then what powder propels it seems to be of little consequence, from my experience. (We're taking handguns here, at 10 to 25 yards. I'm sure rifles are a different matter entirely. But I've never loaded rifle specific ammo though.)

Quote:
I've also been using 12gr of HS-6 under a 250gr lead bullet in the 44mag with equally pleasing results.
As I would expect. It's a heavy bullet. What is also noteworthy is that HS-6 is good for lead because it burns cool. My only lead 9mm recipe is with HS-6 under 147 LFP's. It's good range ammo.