The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 20, 2013, 02:01 AM   #1
Cousin Pat

Declining gun ownership in USA?

Reuters is saying the following today:

"Demographic trends are working against the NRA as well. Fewer than one-third of U.S. households owned guns in 2011, down from 54 percent in 1977, according to the University of Chicago's General Social Survey."

This does not seem likely to me -- does anybody have any data?
Old April 20, 2013, 02:17 AM   #2
Venom1956

Probably there is a large majority of brainwashed middle class that openly fear guns. On either side of the spectrum there are those who on the lower end know and need their utility in daily life or recreation. or the upper class that through proper education understand the purpose and benefits of owning a firearm for defense and protection.

Not saying all middle class but those are the ones easiest to convince.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 20, 2013, 02:44 AM   #3
Topher127

I have a hard time believing any of these statistics. You never know where they are getting their numbers. Last few gun shows I went to were packed, and my lgs has stock running through constantly, I doubt they are all repeats.
Old April 20, 2013, 02:46 AM   #4
DaleA

I think it would be interesting if they polled people they knew for certain owned guns to see how many of them would deny it.

During the election I had several friends who would mess with pollsters for sport. (This might be a trend...messing with pollsters.)
Old April 20, 2013, 04:46 AM   #5
silvrjeepr

I'm thinking they define a gun owner as an NRA member...
Old April 20, 2013, 04:51 AM   #6
Rembrandt

Those numbers may be correct, considering who conducted the survey.... University of Chicago. In state and city where restrictive gun control is one of the highest in the nation and has been getting worse in recent years, wouldn't surprise me.
Old April 20, 2013, 05:21 AM   #7
CurlyQ.Howard

From what I've seen it's an increasing number of folks who never before have had firearms obtaining firearms (and doing what is necessary to legally obtain them - such as getting an FOID in Illinois). In fact, FOID application numbers in Illinois are very high over the past months since Sandy Hook.
Old April 20, 2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

I don't believe that many households would admit to owning firearms to someone conducting a poll in this political environment.

Personally, in my circles I've seen firearm ownership and concealed carry licenses expanding.

The anti gun groups are simply throwing out stats to try to sway people to their cause and all are questionable and or out right lies.

90% of crime guns in Mexico come from the USA....

90% of citizens want expanded background checks.....

Only 1/3 of all homes own firearms.....

Keep in mind, you can get any statistic you want depending on how you ask the question.
Old April 20, 2013, 07:26 AM   #9
WC145

We're pushing 350 million guns in this country with the recent (since Obama) sales runs, far more than were around in 1977. I seriously doubt it's fewer than 1/3 of households hoarding them all.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old April 20, 2013, 07:36 AM   #10
ohen cepel

I think few people are going to tell a person on the phone, "yes, I have guns in my home". (please rob me).

If so few people own guns then why are NICS checks up 4 fold?!?!?

They lie to make headlines and to meet their agenda. If you pay attention they will contradict themselves in the same week. ie; 1/5 of kids are starving in America but we're all obese, you can't have it both ways.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old April 20, 2013, 07:37 AM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

We've had 58,000,000 NICS checks [pdf] performed since 2010. That number doesn't include private sales, or sales exempted from NICS checks in states with exceptions for permit holders.

It's impossible to come up with a hard number, but it wouldn't be out of bounds to assume a lowball number of 90,000,000.

Where are all those guns going? Is there a small minority of people hoarding thousands of guns each, or could it be that the average gun owner doesn't want to disclose what he has to a census taker?
Old April 20, 2013, 07:40 AM   #12
ohen cepel

Tom,
Great stat! If we take their BS # of 40% of all guns sold don't do the check then you get 81.2 Million, which still doesn't include the exemptions you mentioned which could put it at 100 million easily.

Yeah, less gun owners, that's the ticket!

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old April 20, 2013, 07:50 AM   #13
CajunBass

I don't have any data other than my own observations, but just last night, as my wife was filling out a 4473, there were at the table with her, a young black woman, and a Muslim couple. They sure didn't strike me as what I think of as average, everyday gun owners.

Just a snapshot, I admit, but I thought it was interesting.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 20, 2013, 07:59 AM   #14
Pilot

All these polls are absolute drivel, and used by the media to further brainwash the people. I don't buy it either. With all the first time gun buyers, including women joining our ranks there are definitely a lot more guns in private ownership than ever before.

Last edited by Pilot; April 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old April 20, 2013, 08:04 AM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Having ownership decline while sales skyrocket, while not impossible, sure does seem unlikely.
Old April 20, 2013, 08:19 AM   #16
cvc944

So even though guns were being manufactured for the 34 years between 1977 and 2011, and guns have a shelf life as long as the steel used to build them, only about half as many households have them. I find that odd, considering that NICS checks have doubled in the past 7 years. I wish we knew where all these guns that aren't in US households were, because if we did, we could get them into the empty racks and cases.
Old April 20, 2013, 08:43 AM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

If Reuters -- or any news organization -- were to call me and ask if I own any guns, I would decline to participate in their study. It's none of Reuters' business if I own guns, or how many.

I suspect I am not alone in that sentiment.
Old April 20, 2013, 08:46 AM   #18
osbornk

I have been asking my friends and relatives about guns for the last several months. Every single household I have asked about have guns for protection and most have handguns in addition to long guns. I was happy to find out that at least 2 of my motorcycle riding friends always carry (especially the Special Forces vet.).
Old April 20, 2013, 09:42 AM   #19
jeepstrapped

I think it is much more likely that people are less than truthful about owning guns for a variety of reasons. Least of which is that it's none of the pollsters business and probably to a degree there is some mistrust of how this "collected" information could be used.
Old April 20, 2013, 10:08 AM   #20
larryh1108

In light of the current political climate, if someone randomly called you for a survey and asked if you owned a gun or guns, would you say yes? I would not. If your doctor asked if you owned guns during a routine exam, would you say yes? I wouldn't. If a mall opinion survey taker asked if you had any guns in your household, would you say yes? I wouldn't. Point is, it's nobody's business but my own if I own guns or not. Polls cannot be believed. Ask Obama where he got his 90% of Americans favor some sort of background checks info from, an open poll at the White House?
Old April 20, 2013, 10:50 AM   #21
cvc944

To me, the four comments after my last post represent common sense. Actual common sense. It's not my business to know what any of you own, and it's nobody's business to ask you and then let me know what you own. Polls are not the best thing for America. Making a decision on your own, letting your core beliefs guide you without looking to others to see what they are saying or thinking is good for America. At least that is what I say to people who are taking polls that could be used to further divide our nation. And of course, then it is only common sense that casts any doubt on the 90% favorable number for UBCs, a number just too high to go unquestioned.
Old April 20, 2013, 11:08 AM   #22
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Pat
The inconsistency in results of gun ownership surveys is a recognized problem. Those inconsistencies and their possible causes are addressed well in two recent Wall Street Journal articles (#1 and #2).

One observation from the first article caught my attention and underscores how difficult it is to really nail down the results of polls.

Quote:
Who answers the phone in the household could affect responses. “We know that in a survey where respondents are randomly selected from adults in the household, a household headed by a married couple is substantially more likely to report guns in the home if the husband is selected than if the wife is selected,” said Philip Cook, an economist and gun-violence researcher at Duke University.
Old April 20, 2013, 12:04 PM   #23
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Cousin Pat
Reuters is saying the following today:

"Demographic trends are working against the NRA as well. Fewer than one-third of U.S. households owned guns in 2011, down from 54 percent in 1977, according to the University of Chicago's General Social Survey."

Caller - "Good evening Sir/Madam - I am conducting a survey on gun-ownership in the United States for Reuter's News."

Homeowner - "Um, yeah, ok."

Caller - "Are you a current gun-owner?"

Homeowner - <thoughts racing through mind... Did I have to register it?, What if my kid's school find out?", "Could this impact my job?"...etc...etc...etc...">.......<back to call> "Er, no. No, I am NOT a gun-owner <click>.

WE are the silent majority, and gawd help the politicians when we get really tick'd and toss 'em out onto the streets. Why else didn't UBC come out for a vote???? Eh???

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 20, 2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: language.
Old April 20, 2013, 01:02 PM   #24
Glocknload

I don't believe a word of it. I just got back from the range, AGC in balt. co. maryland and the range was packed.

Not only that, the media is nothing but a propaganda tool of the government. They figure that if they say something often enough, people will believe it. For example, '90% of the general population wants stricter gun control." total BS.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 20, 2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: insulting language.
Old April 20, 2013, 01:11 PM   #25
Nathan

It has been alluded to earlier. I think s much higher percentage of gun owners would have said yes, or agreed to participate in 1977. No way I'm telling a person who calls, stops by or stops me on the street that I have guns in my house.

In a go to a link and check yes or no, I would probably vote yes. So here you have the mechanics of making data!
Closed Thread