The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 9, 2014, 11:32 AM   #1
Doug S

3 Modern CCW Classics For Discerning Newbies Who Want To Get Right Down To It...

The weather is breaking and I’m in the mind to do some shooting this week (I have the week off). It has me thinking, that in my opinion, in this day of “Nano’s”, “Shields”, “LCP’s, “XD” (models x 10), etc., etc., that there are three modern classics that would serve anyone well who is interested in getting into CCW. These three are not the all time best in every category one might consider, but they all three have demonstrated attributes that would serve any discerning person well. Primarily these attributes are reliability, durability, and concealability. Not to mention all 3 are in about the base price range for acquiring such a combination of attributes. These are all well tested, and have proven themselves over time. You might find superior arms in any one of the above named categories, but you'd be hard pressed to find guns that are a better combination of these attributes than any one of these three…Glock 26, Ruger SP101, S&W 642 Centennial. If you are a newbie and want to forego the learning curve, these are a safe bet. There you have it…may 2cents, and it’s worth every nickel you paid for it For many who've already been through the process, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by Doug S; March 9, 2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old March 9, 2014, 12:02 PM   #2
Cirdan

I started with a G26 for ccw, but it's a bit chunky and heavy. So I switched to an LCP - very light weight and small enough to carry under any clothing. Only problem is you can't shoot it worth a @$$%. Too small to get a good grip, and muzzle flip means it takes forever to get a second shot off. Now I'm trying the Nano.

You just have to keep trying until you get the right tool.
Old March 9, 2014, 12:09 PM   #3
mrt949

SEECAMP 32.
HK P2000 SK V2 LEM .
RUGER SP101.
The Rason they are all DAO
Old March 9, 2014, 02:25 PM   #4
Doug S

Then again, I guess the learning process is part of the fun.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old March 9, 2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Sparks1957

Where have you been all these years, Doug? I've spent an awful lot of cash over the years looking for my grail gun, and if you had told me earlier you would have saved me a lot.
Old March 9, 2014, 02:57 PM   #6
8MM Mauser

An SP101 was one of the four guns I was about to buy before financial emergencies struck me. I was ready to order it when a car broke down and needed replacing. That gun is an excellent balance of power vs. size.

That said, I didn't end up getting it and now have a G19 on the way.

I still kinda want an SP101 though...
Old March 9, 2014, 03:21 PM   #7
Doug S

Quote:
Where have you been all these years, Doug? I've spent an awful lot of cash over the years looking for my grail gun, and if you had told me earlier you would have saved me a lot.
Sorry, Sparks1957

Quote:
An SP101 was one of the four guns I was about to buy before financial emergencies struck me. I was ready to order it when a car broke down and needed replacing. That gun is an excellent balance of power vs. size.

That said, I didn't end up getting it and now have a G19 on the way.

I still kinda want an SP101 though...
8MM Mauser, Sorry to hear that your troubles kept you from getting the Ruger. I agree it is a really nice gun, but that G19 will serve you as well (and probably better) as any. Good choice.
Old March 9, 2014, 05:08 PM   #8
8MM Mauser

Quote:
8MM Mauser, Sorry to hear that your troubles kept you from getting the Ruger. I agree it is a really nice gun, but that G19 will serve you as well (and probably better) as any. Good choice.
Thanks. For 4 years I was all ready to buy a gun come tax return time only to have it replaced by something else;

2008: A G19 became a Car (Chevy Cavalier)
2009: A USP became another car (Toyota Camry)
2010: An XD became a baby girl and assorted paraphernalia (worth it!)
2012: An SP101 became yet another freaking car (A ford Taurus to replace the Camry)

Now it is 2014 and I have circled back to the G19. Funny how that happens. To be fair though, I would probably own them all if not for these curious circumstances. I am glad I skipped the XD actually, but the SP101 and USP are still on my list.

Next year I will be graduating from my University so... I feel like I'll have earned another one.
Old March 9, 2014, 06:23 PM   #9
mk70ss

Three more that get right to the point.

Quality 1911
S&W Model 19
Ruger Mark III .22

These will fill a whole bunch of needs, all are quality, and will work for many years.
Old March 9, 2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Doug S

Quote:
Next year I will be graduating from my University so... I feel like I'll have earned another one.
Congrats to you, and best wishes for your future. I'm sure the degree will work towards alleviating any financial woes.

Thanks to any and all for playing along, and suggesting those CCW firearms that they think make the list.

Last edited by Doug S; March 9, 2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old March 10, 2014, 09:45 AM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

A snubby 38, a polymer 9 and a 1911 - that does it.

Mine are a 642, 19 or 26 and a SW 1911SC Commander.
Old March 10, 2014, 10:12 AM   #12
Colt46

The SP-101

With modern .38 ammo the SP is a pussycat to shoot well. Even using +P loads.
Old March 10, 2014, 07:50 PM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

Checking out in the Supermarket today,the young clerk saw the back of a gun rag I was buying. He asked about the LCR and I got to explain about 357 magnum vs. 38 +P snubbies.

Slow day - only in TX. I guess that wouldn't happen if I were still shopping in NYC.
Old March 10, 2014, 09:21 PM   #14
Kev

^^^ Gun rags in NYC are probably illegal, or have brown wrappers as to not expose anyone to GASP! Guns!^^^^
Old March 10, 2014, 10:12 PM   #15
jimbob86

For Newbs:

Quote:
If you are a newbie and want to forego the learning curve,
..... get an alloy framed 1911 in Commander or Officer size, in 9mm. One gun that is comfortable enough to shoot at the range all day, small enough, and more importantly, light and slim enough for EDC, accurate enough for satisfactory plinking, cheap and easy to feed .....

The 1911's SA trigger is so much simpler to master than any of the other guns mentioned.

IWB carry of a lightweight 1911 is so much more comfortable than a revolver of any stripe (revolvers are round and don't ride under a belt well at all....... pocket carry of a steel framed wheelgun like a sp101 is not practical without really big, reinforced pockets.

Folks recommending 3 guns, with 3 different triggers are advocating complicating things exponentially...... that "learning curve" represents a skate park obstacle course, as opposed to a smooth incline ......

One trigger system. That is the most important thing ...... and starting out, choose the easiest. Master that, and then, if you have more time and money than you know what to do with, pick up another.....just don't get confused about which gun you are Carrying today......
Old March 10, 2014, 10:34 PM   #16
Kennydale

Being somewhat of a newbie. Right now i EDC a Ruger SR40C. I have no problems with the gun (have had it slightly over a year). sometime in 2014, i would like a second firearm. part of me believes i could carry a mid sized 4" barrel FNS, FNX or Walther PPQ. (Not a Glock fan, though I am tempted to rent a G23 again). Then on the other hand, I like my carry size and i am thinking it would be nice to have a M&P40C, or maybe a PX4Storm in .40S&W. Then maybe i think i should have at least one 9mm.
Old March 12, 2014, 09:40 PM   #17
KyJim

For concealed carry:

1. SW alloy J-frame snubby for a compact reliable handgun for use as either a primary or backup..
2. Ruger LCP or Keltec P3AT (.380s) as a backup or when wearing light summer clothing that makes even a J-frame hard to conceal.
3. Alloy framed 1911 in Commander or CCO size configuration. Flat and easy to conceal in normal clothing, ergonomic, and just plain fun to shoot.
Old March 12, 2014, 10:16 PM   #18
blackamos

I have carried many guns in the summer over the years and I always come back to the 638 or now the lcr. I think the shape of a 5 round revolver in a pocket of a pair of shorts breaks up better than a pocket 9mm. But that is just my option, YMMV.
Old March 13, 2014, 03:13 PM   #19
WESHOOT2

more modern than a stick or rock

J-frame S&W
5" 1911

And the rest......
Old March 16, 2014, 09:38 PM   #20
chris in va

I had a SP101. 357 recoil was ridiculous, and five shots of 9mm equivalent didn't make sense.

Plus it was the same exact size as the Sig 220 I also had, just heavier.
Old March 16, 2014, 10:09 PM   #21
Model12Win

I sure do like my J-frame 642 .38 special.

YMMV.
Old March 17, 2014, 07:21 PM   #22
thedudeabides

I've carried some kind of variant Colt CCO for over 15 years (I have a Dan Wesson and a Colt Gunsite).
Old March 17, 2014, 08:28 PM   #23
DAdams

Seecamp LWS .380
Rohrbaugh R9
S&w M&P 340
Kahr PM9
Boberg R9-S
Edmar Mednis
Old March 17, 2014, 09:27 PM   #24
gbran

[IMG][/IMG]