The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 13, 2012, 10:08 PM   #1
omaddy

interstate gun transfer

I live in Illinois and want to trade my handgun to a friend in Mo for his handgun. I understand that we have to have FFL's in our home states to legally make this transfer. So this is a question for you FFL's out there. Do I take my handgun to the FFL in MO and vice versa? Or can one or the other FFL handle the transfer for both guns?
Old March 13, 2012, 10:12 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

You just need an FFL in the recipient's state of residence to do the transfer. If you need to ship the gun to the MO FFL, there are some restrictions. I don't believe that USPS will allow a private individual to ship a gun to an FFL, but UPS and FedEx will, with certain restrictions. Also, be aware that some FFLs won't accept guns from private individuals, even though it's legal.

EDIT - after reading bittorrent's reply below, I re-read the OP and realized there are *two* guns involved. He's right - each person who's receiving a gun needs to have the transfer of that firearm done in *his* state.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; March 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old March 13, 2012, 11:10 PM   #3
bitttorrrent

One FFL could not do both. Since logically, say you are transferring your gun to MO, so you send your gun to the FFL in MO for the other guy to pick up. Now this FFL can't do much with the other guys gun cause he is in MO and you are not. This MO FFL can send the gun to a FFL in IL for you if the one in IL will accept.

A big circus act, but this is Federal Law and is felony if not followed properly.

I was trying to explain this to my Dad cause I'm in IL and he can't just give me a gun from MI. He would have to go through a FFL in IL.