The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 26, 2016, 02:44 PM   #1
srjh2

Right handed rifle- Left handed shooter

I am interested in getting a flint or percussion rifle in the near future. I shoot left handed but most of the rifles i see are right handed, is it safe to shoot a right handed rifle left handed? I am concerned about the flash from the ignition.
I know they do make a few lefties but i don't see much of a selection. I guess i could just shoot from the right side but don't want to.
So what do you guys think, safe to shoot from the left side?

Last edited by srjh2; January 26, 2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old January 26, 2016, 03:56 PM   #2
wogpotter

Having been stood next to a B/P rifle that had had the cleanout plug left out I'd say NO!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 26, 2016, 03:57 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I've shot right handed rifles with my left eye.

You can always have a rifle made for you too.
Old January 26, 2016, 05:16 PM   #4
D Thomson

I'm a lefty and have been shooting right handed cap locks for years with no problems [TC Hawkins, 50 cal]. Make sure you keep a good nipple in the rifle. They burn out and you can blow the hammer back on discharge and allow the spent cap to go flying. This can happen right or left handed. Safety glasses are always a good idea. I will not shoot a right handed flint lock, hold one to your shoulder and you will see why I don't. The pan igniting right in front of your eyes is not a good idea. Black powder is a lot of fun, enjoy.
Old January 26, 2016, 07:33 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

BTW, wear safety glasses.
Old January 27, 2016, 11:07 AM   #6
sltm1

Left handed T/C's are out there, it took a while but I found a Renegade 50cal and still have it today. Search the auction sights.
Old January 27, 2016, 11:29 AM   #7
kilimanjaro

I've had to shoot LH with a RH rifle, you should be alright if you always wear safety glasses. You should be wearing them, anyway.

Might want to get a spontoon, or join the artillery, if you don't get used to it.
Old January 27, 2016, 12:43 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

There are lots of commercial, left handed, flint or percussion rifles out there. If you're buying from your local shop you'll likely have to have 'em order it though. No big deal, but be prepared to put at least 50% down.
I wouldn't worry too much about a percussion lock but would not shoot a backwards flinter. Even with shooting glasses. Like D Thomson says, that big fire is too close to your face.
Old January 27, 2016, 12:45 PM   #9
Toney

If I didn't have long sleeves on when I shot my side lock it would sting the crap out of my forearm from stuff out of the primmer...

I had a left handed bolt once, never did get used to it and kept reaching over for the bolt handle.
Old January 27, 2016, 12:45 PM   #10
Hellgate

Wear glasses. No rock locks. I'm a leftywith gobs of big ol' 58 cal MLs.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old January 27, 2016, 01:56 PM   #11
bn12gg

I'm left handed. But, grew up shooting right handed rifles left eyed. My flintlocks and percussion muzzleloaders present no problem nor do my semiautomatic shotguns as they eject hulls out the right side of the chamber. If you are concerned put a flash guard on your flintlock.

David

ps -- Wear glasses.
Old January 29, 2016, 09:00 PM   #12
srjh2

Thanks everyone for the excellent answers to my question. I have about 40 years experiece with shooting and reloading smokeless power, however I am new to blackpowder. This forum and YouTube is a good place to start learning.
Old January 29, 2016, 09:16 PM   #13
Dragonflydf

I shoot southpaw and have had no problems with muzzleloaders, the only weapon I have problems shooting left handed is a UZI in 45ACP.
Old January 30, 2016, 04:50 PM   #14
bedbugbilly

Due to eye issues, I have to shoot rifles left handed (I'm right handed). I've shot percussion and flint right handed rifles left handed and they pose no problem. I once bought a left handed percussion rifle shortly after I had to go to shooting left handed - just to try one. It left the herd shortly afterwards. Being a right hander, it felt "backwards". I also shoot right handed cartridge rifles left handed including bolt actions. You soon learn to do it and it becomes "second nature".

In my situation - an "under hammer" is ideal. I have two H & A under hammers and I probably shoot them more than my conventional percussion or my flinters.

Look in to an under hammer. Pecatonica carries the H & A under hammer actions as well as gun kits for building one. You can do as much of the building as you want - they have several stocks or you can make your own.

When you are shooting a flint right handed rifle/fowler left handed, you face is behind and out of the way of the flash hole so you have no issues with that. The only issue you have is if someone is standing close to you and it's just common courtesy and safety, regardless of if the gun is left or right, to advise anybody standing in line "to move".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 30, 2016, 06:49 PM   #15
JJ45

I know a hunter with a great deal of experience in all kinds of hunting.

He is right handed and had a right handed flintlock. The spark distracted him when shooting the right-handed flintlock and he went out and bought a left handed flinter! RIGHT HANDER-LEFT HANDED FLINTLOCK

My son is left handed and shoots left handed but has a right handed TC Renegade that he shoots with no problems. LEFT HANDER-RIGHT HANDED FLINTLOCK.
Old January 30, 2016, 08:17 PM   #16
sltm1

JJ45....PLEASE DEO NOT RELY ON YOUTUBE FOR SHOOTING INFO!!!! There are plenty of bp sights out there with knowledgeable people willing to help, like this one. YouTube is where bad info is turned into bad fact by people who should know better than to open their traps (by and large...and if you're new to bp, how would you know the difference?). Stay safe brother and enjoy the ride!!!
Old January 30, 2016, 08:37 PM   #17
JJ45

sltm1...I don't know what you are talking about. I have been shooting BP since 1979 when the Pa. game commission opened a Flintlock only season after Christmas.

What I stated was very simple fact and really not hard to believe at all.

And BTW, I only watch you tube by accident.
Old January 30, 2016, 08:59 PM   #18
sltm1

Sorry, JJ, I get a bit muddled when I drink and think, duh!!! There's a gent on another sight who claimed that YouTube was his info guru, and I read that about an hour ago and kept perusing the bp sight's I often go to...got mixed up, ergo, No Firing on the Drinking Line !!! What can I say, I'm pushin 70 and it's pushin back.
Old January 30, 2016, 10:32 PM   #19
srjh2

Quote:
JJ45....PLEASE DEO NOT RELY ON YOUTUBE FOR SHOOTING INFO!!!! There are plenty of bp sights out there with knowledgeable people willing to help, like this one. YouTube is where bad info is turned into bad fact by people who should know better than to open their traps (by and large...and if you're new to bp, how would you know the difference?). Stay safe brother and enjoy the ride!!!
As far as YouTube is concerned, i watch Mike Beliview (Duelist1954), he seems to know what he is talking about on BP, the rest of the guys on YT not so much. I should have just mentioned him and this forum, my bad.
Old January 30, 2016, 10:56 PM   #20
sltm1

No sweat...John Barley Corn is rhe culprit
Old January 31, 2016, 12:13 AM   #21
Wyosmith

You could make one yourself.
I earn most of my living making muzzleloaders. if you need help or coaching, let me know.
Old January 31, 2016, 05:19 AM   #22
JJ45

No problem stm1....I got to thinking. On forums it's easy to misunderstand a reply.

I found it weird that my right handed pal should go out and buy a left handed flint lock. It goes to show that every shooter is different.

My son, on the other hand is left handed and given a right handed flint lock by me. He shoots everything else left handed but seemed not to notice any problems with his right handed rifle.

I doubt if there were any left handed muskets among the Continental Army or the Redcoats just as I have never heard of a left handed 1860 or 1863 Springfield issued during the Civil War. Garands and 03s were all right handed as far as I know....sometimes you gotta make due with what you got.
Old January 31, 2016, 10:05 PM   #23
BlackPowderBen

Mike Belvieu knows his black powder. His channel is great!
Old February 1, 2016, 11:01 AM   #24
srjh2

Thanks Wyosmith, will do.
Old February 6, 2016, 06:07 PM   #25
Wyosmith

Here is a lefty.

Last edited by Wyosmith; February 8, 2016 at 11:57 PM.