The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2008, 12:53 AM   #1
MDS

Challenger press

Anyone here use the Lee Challenger press? I'm thinking of dedicating one for .223
Old December 18, 2008, 01:28 AM   #2
SavageMOA

I have one set up for .223 actually. It's a fantastic setup. Very inexpensive and gets the job done. I don't really see what the $150+ single stage presses could offer over it that would be worth it.

Results you ask? I regularly shoot sub-MOA 5 shot groups out of my Savage 12FV.
Old December 18, 2008, 01:31 AM   #3
MDS

I'm new to a lot of reloading. Havn't done .223 yet. Can you swage ok, when you need to on that press?
Old December 18, 2008, 02:17 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

You can't swage bullets in normal loading presses of any brand I am aware of. I'm sure plenty of folks have done it with varying degrees of success, but to avoid breakage you need something very heavy to form the lead into bullets by pressure. Corbin makes the heavy presses required.

If you are willing to shell out $50 for a Challenger, consider spending an extra $25 and get the Lee Classic Cast press. It will do anything (except swaging) that a reloader truly needs to do. Only if you get into match shooting at longer ranges (600-1200 yards) where you need 1/2 moa ammo or better, will the ammo benefit from something like the Forster Co-ax press.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; December 18, 2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old December 18, 2008, 12:35 PM   #5
MDS

I'm talking about crimped primer cases. Not bullets.
Old December 18, 2008, 04:44 PM   #6
wncchester

If you mean, can you safely swage GI primer pockets with something like the RCBS or Dillon tools, yes.

The only real requirements for getting excellant service with that press is to be rational in it's use. Follow the instructions to keep the lever-toggle bolt tight AND lube your cases properly, which you should do with any press.

No case reforming tho, it's not made for that! If you want to swage 30-06 cases into 22-250 get a Lee Classic Cast press!
Old December 18, 2008, 05:05 PM   #7
ac700wildcat

I just broke my challenger press last week while neck sizing some 30-06 brass. I have had it under 2 years which is how long the warranty is and all they did was give me a part number and a price. The part is only like $4 and I need two of them. They want me to pay for the part and for shipping, instead of shipping me the two cheapo connecting links on a product under warranty for free they want me to pay for everything. I'll be fixing the press and selling it or I'll just use it for bullet seating.

Luckily I have an RCBS JR press that works just fine and is older than I am that doesn't give me any troubles. I'll be ordering a Hornady Lock n Load press after xmas, because the jr is a little hard to get my fingers in to hold bullets when seating them.
Old December 18, 2008, 05:29 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

MDS,

I would not expect to be able to swage primer pockets in the Challenger. I have the Dillon primer pocket swaging tool, and the amount of beef in its cast aluminum frame is much greater than in the challenger's. And even with that, it cracked at the pivot pin journal after a time. Dillon promptly replaced the frame without asking questions, same as they always do with a broken part, but my point is just that it's an operation that can take some force and the little press isn't really to be expected to be up to that.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 18, 2008, 07:17 PM   #9
hodaka

I bought a Challenger in 1985. I now have a Dillon 550 and a heavy press I bought with the Midway logo on it, but the Challenger still gets a lot of use. I have it mounted on a portable bench (Frankford) and when watching football it gets lots of use. Works great for all of my reloading chores including making 6.5-06 and 25-06 out of 30-06 cases and .270 cases.
Old December 19, 2008, 12:26 AM   #10
MDS

Thanks, Looks like I need to look at a more heavy duty press.
Old December 19, 2008, 07:44 AM   #11
rwilson452

If you looking for a heavy duty single stage press, look at the Lee Classic Cast.

If you get one, Just don't drop it on your foot.
Old December 19, 2008, 09:27 AM   #12
wncchester

Last edited by wncchester; December 19, 2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old December 19, 2008, 09:34 AM   #13
wncchester

"They want me to pay for the part and for shipping, instead of shipping me the two cheapo connecting links on a product under warranty for free they want me to pay for everything."

Wildcat's links are what break if you don't keep that bolt I mentioned tight.

The Classic Cast is a much stronger press (all steel), perhaps the strongest of it's competitors, and not expensive. But you will still need to keep that same bolt tight or the handle will be floppy!
Old December 19, 2008, 09:59 AM   #14
rwilson452

floppy handle

Locktite is your friend

Quote:
"They want me to pay for the part and for shipping, instead of shipping me the two cheapo connecting links on a product under warranty for free they want me to pay for everything."

Wildcat's links are what break if you don't keep that bolt I mentioned tight.

The Classic Cast is a much stronger press (all steel), perhaps the strongest of it's competitors, and not expensive. But you will still need to keep that same bolt tight or the handle will be floppy!