The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 20, 2012, 10:24 AM   #101
jmortimer

"There is no reason any of us should fear our rights as Citizens will be affected by a Presidential Election."

sotomayor, kagan and then next couple appointments that will probably occur during the next four years. There is a 4th grade civics lesson for you.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:33 AM   #102
Glenn E. Meyer

Let's drop the snark, folks.

Warning.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:38 AM   #103
jtmckinney

Democrats want to hold the White House in 2016. If they are able to pass or introduce any real legistation (that get's out of committe and onto the floor) that weakens the 2nd Ammendment there chances go way down. They remember 2000 and gun rights was one of several things that could have swung the results the other way. We need to keep it this way.

I also think it is not in our best interest to only think one party will stand up for our 2nd Ammentment rights. Gun Rights is one of the litmus test a Representative must pass to get my vote but then it goes onto other issues.

The Republican party is going to have to get better. There is talk that Texas is becoming a swing state and even a blue state the way demographics are swinging. As of the last election Republicans still have a big advantage in Texas with many elected un-apposed. One strong Democrat leader could change that.

When Justice Scalia was on Meet The Press a few months ago pushing his book one of the points he made was the importance of electing Representatives that make laws they may have to rule on if the law is challenged. Who is sitting on the Supreme Court is big, but they are only one piece of the puzzle.

I voted for Romney but it wasn't a vote of love or trust. He said the right things but I did not completely trust him on 2nd Ammendment issues. We will survive four more years of President Obama (he is our elected President) if we keep our 2nd Ammendment Rights intact.

Have a great day!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old November 23, 2012, 06:40 PM   #104
Warrior1256

Trying to figure out what Obama is going to do is fun and interesting. But bottom line is we will have to wait to see what he really tries to do and then be reactive.
Old November 23, 2012, 07:47 PM   #105
Glenn E. Meyer

I don't think being reactive is a good plan. The RKBA should be proactively portrayed to all segments of the American populace.

Trying to circle the wagons in one segment of the population won't do it.
Old November 26, 2012, 04:52 PM   #106
thallub

Quote:
I watched Treasury Secretary (? Maybe he was atf. long ago) announce that street sweeper was declared an "explosive device." I was disgusted.
In 1984 a shotgun was banned from import: This was the first time a long gun was banned under the "sporting purposes" clause of the GCA 1968. In 1986 another shotgun was banned from import. In 1989 over 40 semi-automatic guns were banned form import. In 1998 more "assault weapons" were banned form import under the "sporting purposes" clause of the GCA 1968.

Last edited by thallub; November 26, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old November 26, 2012, 08:49 PM   #107
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Just a reminder: This thread was meant to be the only (mostly) political thread. I'm in the process of evaluating some other threads that most likely will be closed for the drift into politics.