The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 27, 2013, 11:53 PM   #1
sigshepardo

Carrying disassembled handguns

I live in Indiana and was wondering if its legal to transport a pistol in my vehicle if its disassembled. I do not have a carry license and was wanting some clarification. Anything you guys know about disassembled gun transport would be great. Thanks.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:48 AM   #2
+1k ammo

Look up the State Laws, but in Illinois there is no carry law (YET!) but I can bring my firearms in my car on the way to the range etc. and that is legal.

They don't have to be broken down, but in a locked case or trunk and ammo in separate area. Also, not in the glove box that is easily reached. Common sense. I put my locked range bag in the back or way back of suv.

Indiana might be different though??
Old January 28, 2013, 03:10 AM   #3
Metal god

Quote:
Look up the State Laws,
to be sure ^^^^^^^^^^

I'm pretty sure you can transport your firearms from place to place but NOT just carry them in your car . C.A. is the same as Indiana as for transporting your firearms . They must be unloaded , locked and ammo in separate container/case then the firearm . I'm not sure but I think you must have one or the other ( gun or ammo ) inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle but that may be what the lock is for . Meaning if they are both sitting in the seat next to you . You can easily unlock the gun and load it so you must not be able to get to it . I usually have the guns in the car or truck and the ammo in the trunk or bed of truck .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 28, 2013, 08:51 AM   #4
AH.74

Here is a summary, and one of the best places to go for general questions or to start an area of research:

http://handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

It looks like there is nothing about dis-assembly mentioned. I would consider getting a gunvault lockable unit or something similar, and using it in the trunk or rear of the vehicle.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:45 AM   #5
adamc

Here in Connectuct it is the same law, as ammo & fire arms must be separated...

Kind of tough in the small car I drive
Old January 29, 2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Librarian

Dis-assembled seems not to matter in most places.

Using the Federal definition of firearms as the example, 18 USC 921
Quote:
(a) As used in this chapter—
(3) The term "firearm" means
(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to
or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an
explosive;
(B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
(C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
(D) any destructive device.
Such term does not include an antique firearm.
no mention is made of 'operability' or 'completeness'. It would appear that, generally, firearms transportation laws apply to a firearm in whatever state of mechanical assembly/disassembly it may be. Your state law may differ.

In the instant case of California, handguns are different from long guns. Both must be transported unloaded, but handguns, and 'registered assault weapons', must be transported in a locked case. No rules apply to transporting ammunition in relation to a gun, beyond 'unloaded'.

The FAQ page is here.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:39 PM   #7
speedrrracer

Quote:
Dis-assembled seems not to matter in most places.

Using the Federal definition of firearms as the example, 18 USC 921
Quote:
(a) As used in this chapter—
(3) The term "firearm" means
(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to
or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an
explosive;
(B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
(C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
(D) any destructive device.
Such term does not include an antique firearm.
no mention is made of 'operability' or 'completeness'. It would appear that, generally, firearms transportation laws apply to a firearm in whatever state of mechanical assembly/disassembly it may be. Your state law may differ.

If you were correct, and state of assembly / operability wasn't an issue, then why wouldn't all firearms parts be considered firearms?
Old January 29, 2013, 06:47 PM   #8
JimDandy

Your guess is as good as ours. You generally can mail an AR-15 upper no sweat. Lowers are another matter.

Another place to look, by the way, is your state's hunting laws. Often something is snuck in there as well- usually something along the lines of must be cased or broken down into at least three seperate parts...
Old January 29, 2013, 11:32 PM   #9
Metal god

Quote:
If you were correct, and state of assembly / separability wasn't an issue, then why wouldn't all firearms parts be considered firearms?
My bet is it has to do with what does disassembled mean . One can argue that simply having the mag out is disassembled . Just having the grips off . You can put the slide on a glock and most semi autos in a second and be ready to go . I can have my AR in two pieces and have it together and shooting before most could load and fire a revolver . Disassembled does not really mean inoperable .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .