The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 19, 2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Amurr

Anyone know how to get an FFL license in NY states?

Hi guys,

I am a New York State resident with a fully valid permit.

If i wanted to get an FFL license, what would be the process, timing, cost etc? How long would it take, what are the necessary actions etc.

Obviously, I have no criminal record etc...

Thanks,
Alex
Old April 19, 2009, 10:02 PM   #2
Don H

I'd think that the local BATF office would be the best source of current information. A phone call would most likely answer all your questions.
Old April 20, 2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Start reading....

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/fflc/ffl/faqs_lic.htm
Old April 20, 2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Start reading....
And good luck!
Old April 20, 2009, 11:57 AM   #5
rwilson452

For starters I think to get blessed for a FFL in NYS your going to need a storefront. Unless your talking about a C&R FFL.
Old April 20, 2009, 09:00 PM   #6
Musketeer

Quote:
For starters I think to get blessed for a FFL in NYS your going to need a storefront.
I believe so. NY had issues with people having FFLs so they have done their best to destroy their ability to do so. A physical store front requirement is one. Harassing them once they have it is another.

Contact whoever does pistol licensing in your jurisdiction for more info.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old June 30, 2011, 09:51 AM   #7
whiskymedic

resurrecting an old thread

I understatnd its hard to get a FFL in Ny but if you get one in another state then move to NY need you reapply since its federal?
Old June 30, 2011, 11:42 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Back in the 1970s my Dad checked into it (and I'm certain its a lot more difficult today). Besides the FFL, with all its requirements, there was a NY STATE firearms dealer license you had to have, and all the regular business licenses as well. Also, they were pretty picky about zoning laws too.

Our local gunsmith had his shop in what was once his garage,but he had been there since just after WWII. Another fellow had a gunshop in his basement, which had its own outside entrance. But it was 40+ years ago...

Check with the local BBB, chamber of commerce, and zoning board, as well as the ATF. Talking to a lawyer couldn't hurt either (except for the cost). Do NOT rely only on information from the cops (or the internet!).

Getting an FFL in another state and moving to NY is only good for knowing if the Feds will grant their license to you. It does nothing for the NYS requirements. And the out of NY FFL would have to be amended (or reapplied for) when you changed address, anyway.

Good Luck.
Old June 30, 2011, 09:53 PM   #9
dogtown tom

Quote:
whiskymedic I understatnd its hard to get a FFL in Ny but if you get one in another state then move to NY need you reapply since its federal?
The license is address specific. If I were to move across the street I would need to file for an amended license. I could not continue business at the new address until ATF approves my request and does another premises "interview".

ATF will approve the FFL application if you can legally operate a business at that location. (legal under state/county/city/HOA/zoning/etc)

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE