The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 1, 2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Lokpyrite

Ammo problem

Hi folks, decided to test some new carry ammo at the range today for my XD 45. The 185 JHP gold dots that I have been using since I got the gun worked fine as always.

The corbon 230 grain+p had 1 failure to feed out of a box of 20.

Now we get to the biggest disapointment of the day, Ranger T series had 5 FTFs before I got disgusted and stopped using them, this is in less then a box!! The only reason that I'm not totally turned off of them is that I got them at the gun show and maybe someone slipped in some reloads maybe. 2 of the FTF caused a dent in the case so I threw them away, if that means anything let me know please.
Old February 1, 2010, 10:03 PM   #2
jman841

I find this extremely curious. FTF in centerfire ammo is very uncommon Especially in a high quality defense load. I would contact the manufacturer and get some information. They may be able to tell you if there is hand loads or assess some of the problem. FTF in any self defense load is unacceptable.

Do you have FTF's with any other ammo that you have bought from a non gun show source?
Old February 1, 2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Lokpyrite

the Corbon was bought at Cabela's just to clarify.
Old February 1, 2010, 10:33 PM   #4
drail

Ok when we say FTF do we mean failure to feed or failure to fire? If you have a feeding problem with the gun (or the magazine) I would look into that rather than just blame the ammunition. A great many pistols will choke on certain types of ammo without some modifications. With so many bullet shapes and overall lengths it is difficult to design and produce a semi auto that will feed all of them right out of the box. That said you MAY have got a bad lot of ammo but there is more going on here than you might realize.
Old February 2, 2010, 12:09 AM   #5
Lokpyrite

FTF = Failure to feed when I use that acronym., also I fired 100 rounds or so of American Eagle and Magtech FMJ and they worked fine.
Old February 2, 2010, 12:39 AM   #6
45Gunner

Quote:
2 of the FTF caused a dent in the case so I threw them away, if that means anything let me know please.
Most times this means the casing is hitting the ejection port wall.
NRA Life Member
Old February 2, 2010, 06:16 PM   #7
jman841

Ohhh ok, i thought you meant failure to fire which would not be acceptable. It sounds like there is something wrong with your gun not the ammo.
Old February 2, 2010, 07:41 PM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

The difference is the flat nosed hollow point bullet isn't sliding up the ramp and into the chamber like the FMJ's are. Some guns are fussy about that and a trip to the gunsmith who works on 45's should be able to fix it for you. Either that or just don't use that ammo. Personally if the gun is a good shooter and you want high performance ammo I would fix the gun. However just between you, me and the neighbors dog there is nothing wrong with 230 gr FMJ. It still makes a large hole and it doesn't put as much wear and tear on the gun.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--