The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 4, 2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Playboypenguin

Would you carry a gun you cannot accurately shoot one handed?

When deciding what to carry do you take into consideration ever being in a situation where you only have one good hand to operate you CCW? Do you practice bringing your CCW to bear and firing with just one hand at the range? Do you do this with both your weak and strong hands? Do you choose caliber based on whether you can accurately shoot it one handed?

I personally do take this into consideration. I will not carry any weapon in any condition that requires two hands at any time. This mainly means I will not carry a semi-auto without one in the pipe or a caliber to large for me to control one handed. It also means I practice at the range shooting one handed with both my strong and weak hand. I do not try to shoot jagged holes with my weak hand, but I do want to be able to put them all on a pie plate at 20 yards.
Old December 4, 2009, 02:37 PM   #2
doh_312

If it is a choice between taking the gun with me or leaving it at home, I'll take it even if I cannot shoot it one handed.

That said I do practice one handed shooting, weak and strong. I am confident with both hands and all the handguns I have. I carry all my guns in the condition that all I need to do is pull the trigger. Racking a slide one handed is not something I want to expect to do. But I do practice it
Old December 4, 2009, 02:41 PM   #3
J.Netto

Yeah, I practice weak and strong hand, and actually I'm left eye dominant. So, even though I'm right handed, It almost feels more comfortable shooting with my left hand.

I think it's always a good idea to practice like that, when you can.

Quote:
Racking a slide one handed is not something I want to expect to do. But I do practice it
+1 on that, I also practice one handed reloads too.
Old December 4, 2009, 02:47 PM   #4
omega

Agreed, PBP, and that's why I am puzzled by the folks poo-pooing the 1911 ambidextrous safety. What's tough is pulling the gun from the 4 o'clock holster with the left hand - even an open rig without straps or retention. It'd be a shame to be armed (one armed? ) and not be able to get to it.
Old December 4, 2009, 02:55 PM   #5
SilentHitz

I was born a lefty, but have been around firearms all my life, and shoot mostly right handed now. I practice both ways, and also don't care about 1 ragged hole...I don't do target competition lol.

Being in a wheelchair, I need to be able to hit shooting with either hand. Let's face it, rarely if ever are you going to be lined up "just so" to do 2 handed shooting. I've had no problems shooting 1 handed for decades and for the most part carry a 1911. One of my newest purchases is a 2 1/2" 629 snubbie, and it has only been fired one handed. That's the way I will most likely have to shoot it in a stress situation...so that's how I practice.

http://k5fv.com/
Old December 4, 2009, 03:02 PM   #6
ZeSpectre

Quote:
When deciding what to carry do you take into consideration ever being in a situation where you only have one good hand to operate you CCW? Do you practice bringing your CCW to bear and firing with just one hand at the range? Do you do this with both your weak and strong hands? Do you choose caliber based on whether you can accurately shoot it one handed?
I've said it many times, I practice "all four"
Weak hand - Single handed
Strong hand - Single handed
Weak hand - Two handed
Strong hand - Two handed

I've BEEN in situations where I wanted to present a gun around a corner without exposing my body.

I've BEEN in a situation where (I didn't have to fire, thank the maker) I only had one hand free to "persuade" a threat to back off.

In my opinion anyone who hasn't considered single hand (and weak hand) shooting is leaving a HUGE gap in their self defense readiness.

I guess that's a long way of saying "NO" I absolutely would not carry a gun for self defense that I couldn't operate single handed.
Old December 4, 2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Absolutely! (although I rarely shoot weak hand when others are watching ).

Seriously, not only should you be proficient shooting both ways, I believe it important to be able to reload one-handed, and in the case of semi-autos, tap & rack one-handed. In choosing a defensive weapon, you should take that into consideration as well.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 4, 2009, 03:35 PM   #8
DRice.72

Could someone pm me a link on re-loading one handed?

I have never even seen that done. (I haven't been around pistols much at all)
Old December 4, 2009, 03:42 PM   #9
ZeSpectre

Quote:
Could someone pm me a link on re-loading one handed?
I have never even seen that done. (I haven't been around pistols much at all)
DO NOT PRACTICE THIS WITH LIVE AMMO! GET SNAP-CAPS!

One handed reload (YouTube)

My preferred method (Hooking the rear sight on your shoe heel to cock)
Another Technique (YouTube)

And method 2 done by cocking off the belt not the shoe (YouTube). (I use/prefer "off the shoe)
Old December 4, 2009, 03:57 PM   #10
DRice.72

Did that guy in the second vid put the gun in the bend of his knee? Amazing!
Old December 4, 2009, 04:05 PM   #11
ZeSpectre

Quote:
Did that guy in the second vid put the gun in the bend of his knee? Amazing!
I don't understand why you'd find that amazing.
Old December 4, 2009, 04:33 PM   #12
LordofWar

NEVER!

That is because when I go to gunfights I dual field a matched pair of Desert Eagles .50 AEs
Old December 4, 2009, 04:37 PM   #13
KingEdward

No.
Old December 4, 2009, 04:42 PM   #14
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Would you carry a gun you cannot accurately shoot one handed?
No and I most certainly don't. It's one of the reasons I don't like titanium airweight .357s or 3 inch aluminum frame .45s.

My upper limit is the Glock 27, .40, with 155gr Winchester JHPs, which I can shoot with either hand.

What is more, can your spouse use your gun well?

Have you made sure those in your family that can defend themselves be able to use your gun well?
Old December 4, 2009, 04:56 PM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'd carry no gun at all and be comfortable 99.999% of the time. One that I can't shoot one handed would be of no concern to me. If "Accuracy" is the only concern then I'd say that you ought to be able to get ONE good shot from any gun, it's the follow-up that might be delayed, which is another area of minimal concern. IMHO, YMMV
Old December 4, 2009, 05:02 PM   #16
mavracer

DEAF you'd rather have me shoot at you than my USMC NYborn SWMBO (she's kinda mean).
as to the OP due to a willingness to deal with lifes adversarys (IE multiple broken arms)I'm close to ambidextrious(sp?) not only can I shoot one handed with either hand I can shoot skeet and sporting clays adequately left handed which has lead to another oddity I barely have any eye dominance when I shoot left handed (yes even handguns) I use my left eye.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 4, 2009, 06:04 PM   #17
DRice.72

I am not at all what you would consider proficient with a pistol. I have only fired a pistol five or six times in my life. Not really being proficient with the basics, it never occured to me that one might need to re-load one handed. Since it never occured to me, I have never looked into how to go about it. That vid was the very first time I have seen the process. So yes to me it was amazing.
Old December 4, 2009, 06:06 PM   #18
Doyle

Nope, that is why I got rid of the CZ-52 that I had bought as a "truck gun". It is a single-action and I couldn't cock it one handed without shifting my grip (hammer is poorly positioned in relation to the grip).
Old December 4, 2009, 06:15 PM   #19
Stevie-Ray

I might carry my PLR-16 around my neck, but only in a SHTF situation, AND that would be along with my regular carry, which incidentally, is perfect for either hand. (ambi 1911) I do practice both hands with my regular carries and find that I am generally more accurate with my weak (left) hand, though I am far faster with my right.
Old December 4, 2009, 06:30 PM   #20
Hog Hunter

I dont have a gun i cant shoot accuratly one handed, i belive instead of going out just popin off rounds. im constantly shooting from my truck, on the ground behind cover, one handed, from a jacket pocket, ect. ect. of course making sure safty is first
Old December 4, 2009, 06:30 PM   #21
ClayInTx

No.
I don't even practice two handed.
I do practice with either hand.
I practice a quick draw, not a "cowboy" quick draw but a sure quick draw as fast as I can with certainty.
I also practice what I call a half-draw.
I carry for self defense.
I've said before and say again:
I don't need a 3 inch group at 50 yards; I need a 12 inch group at 10 feet.
I prefer to do better but I figure a 12 inch group will likely do the job.
Target shooting is a game. Self defense is real.
Old December 4, 2009, 07:01 PM   #22
Glenn Dee

nope.
Old December 4, 2009, 07:51 PM   #23
Deaf Smith

mavracer,

It’s not wither you or your USMC NYborn SWMBO can shoot better at me, it's if you are incapacitated and the only weapon she can get is your gun. Can she handle it?

I shoot with either hand (but my right is faster and my left more accurate.) While I can use either eye, I prefer my right one.

Buy my wife can use my Glocks or revolvers, and that is what is kept available to repel borders (and a trusty M1 Carbine.)
Old December 4, 2009, 07:57 PM   #24
Willie Lowman

I won't carry a gun that I can't handle weak hand unsupported.

practice helps too...
Old December 4, 2009, 07:59 PM   #25
Tommy Vercetti

I don't shoot one handed