The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 18, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1
jersey84

new to shotguns, desperate for help

I have just moved to NJ and I want to get into shotgun hunting but I need help. I purchased a mossberg 535 combo gun from dicks sporting goods because it seemed like a good gun for the money. The gun came with a 22inch barrel that has a choke that comes out of the end of the barrel that says "turkey lead only" and then it has a 28 inch barrel that came with 3 chokes (improved, full, and modified). what type of shot do i use with each barrel. i know that full choke is a tighter pattern that improved. i have 2 boxes of remington 3 1/2 #5 shot that my neighbor gave me. but which barrel and choke setup would i use to shoot slugs for say deer out of and are those good shells for turkey hunting
Old September 18, 2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I assume all the chokes fit both barrels? If so, the deer combination would be the 22" barrel with the IMP choke. (Getting a Cylinder choke would be good for slugs.) You could use the 28" barrel for slugs but that's a looong barrel and won't provide any real benefit over the 22".

The shells you have would certainly work for turkey. You need to pattern the gun and see how they work (with the full choke probably) so you know your limits.
Old September 18, 2012, 07:35 PM   #3
jersey84

the "turkey choke" extends from the barrel not like the other 3 that you need the choke key for to put inside the barrel
Old September 18, 2012, 09:11 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

My choke key has an image of George Washington on one side and an eagle on the other.

In general, but I don't hunt and should probably shut up, you never shoot steel shot unless chokes are rated for steel. Check whether a locality requires steel, which usually is a must for shooting over wetlands. Lead is fine. Say an IMP (improved cylinder) is fine for slugs. Your mileage may differ.
Old September 18, 2012, 10:32 PM   #5
rugerfreak

Save those 3.5in shells for later-----go get some 2.75in shells to get used to the gun.
Old September 19, 2012, 06:23 AM   #6
Pistolgripshotty

Test them out

Cylinder choke is designed for slugs but the best way to see how you like it, is to just try the chokes out and depending on the pattern down range, should let ya know what choke is best! Shotguns are fun btw have fun with it!
Old September 19, 2012, 08:04 AM   #7
shortwave

Is the shot in your 3.5 shells lead or steel shot?

Don't know your experience with shotgunning but other then something like goose hunting, never saw the need for 3.5 inchers. Unless of course you're just a recoil junky.

In most cases, when hunting(shot or slugs), you'll accomplish the same result with the 2 3/4 or 3" with a lot less recoil.

It will take some time/money but for turkey hunting you really need to pattern your shotgun with different shells to get the best load for your gun/choke combo. Again, other then a sore shoulder, I seriously doubt you'll find the 3.5" will out perform either the 2 3/4 or 3".
Old September 19, 2012, 10:41 AM   #8
jersey84

the loads just say "copper plated buffered turkey loads" . but basically i can use either barrel and choke its basically all preference?
Old September 19, 2012, 07:29 PM   #9
shortwave

Quote:
the loads just say "copper plated buffered turkey loads" .
Oh yea...3.5" turkey loads. Won't take long for you to know if you got that shotgun properly shouldered.

Quote:
basically i can use either barrel and choke its basically all preference?
Yup! You can use the turkey choke in either bbl. but pattern them both. I'd sure make that 22" work just for the sake of less weight.
Then you could switch to the imp. cyl. choke and get you some nice flight control 00buck and have a real nice SD house gun.

You can also shoot slugs through the imp.cyl. or mod. chokes.

Last edited by shortwave; September 19, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:28 PM   #10
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Modified for slugs, you can use the slugs in all but the super full, (turkey), choke. Put the long barrel in the back of the closet, the short barrel will do anything you want to do unless you are into goose hunting. Save the long legged shells for zombie day and buy a case or three of 2 3/4" in your favorite shot sizes. I suggest some #7 1/2, #6, #4 and 00 along with about 100 rounds of slugs. Try a few different kinds of slugs to see which shoots best in your gun and then load up on that kind but in my guns at least brand and type of slugs make little difference out to 60 yards so I went equally with Remington, Federal and Hornady, whichever was on sale that day.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--