The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 15, 2011, 10:03 PM   #26
myshoulderissore

Quote:
So sad how wee have come to be such a frightened nation.
Or sheep, who will be unprepared, and are not on this forum.
Old October 17, 2011, 10:27 AM   #27
SocialAnarchist

There is a huge difference between being a frightened nation and a prepared one.

It is entirely possible to be prepared and not live life scared of everything. I am prepared and because of that I see no reason to live in a constant state of fear that the bad guys, zombies, alliens, or whatever, will get me. You know like the boogey man from when we were kids.
Old October 17, 2011, 10:43 PM   #28
ScottieG59

No battle drills yet

In the Army, we had battle drills to deal with many contingencies. In my civilian world, it is not as easy and the rules of engagement are a lot different. I am not at my best when I am asleep. In the past, it has helped to have a larger dog who can take point. However, when it comes to hearing the intruder, the big dogs seem to sleep as heavily as I do. The mix I came up with may seem strange, but I went with Shih Tsus as the alarm dogs, since they are unbelievably alert even in their sleep. They would wake up our English Mastiff, who would respond. They made such a great team.

I just cannot count on waking fast enough without a decent early warning system.

I do security checks after everyone else is in bed. The kids have a tendency to leave doors unlocked despite my warnings. Also, if people are watching, they may notice someone is moving around.

I usually carry a Glock 27 with night sights and a Crimson Trace LaserGuard, loaded with Speer 180 GR HP. My flashlight is 180 lumens and has strobe and dim settings. I also carry two extra magazines. I keep this all bedside.

Realistically, in my area, everyone in armed and has dogs and only someone with a death wish would do a home invasion. Typically, the breaking happen during the daytime, when people are at work. In those cases, you might bump into someone who has broken in. I always come home armed and alert.

I have cleared houses several times, though not in a long time. It is way easier with a dog who takes commands. They can smell where an intruder is. The first time I did this was when I was maybe 13 and our dog and I both thought something was wrong. He moved ahead searching as I followed with a rifle. Luckily, we found nobody there.

Now, we have kids that like to lurk around after bedtime. That adds some risk to the reaction. In past years, we had a teenager who would go out after we were in bed and come back just before school. That added the risk of possible open doors and her sneaking around the house at strange hours. Now she is grown and has her own place and kids to worry about.

Things can get complex when there are others around. We have a newborn now too and my wife is lurking around in the dark at all sorts of hours.

All of this points to my conclusion that a couple alert dogs and one or two large dogs in the house is a good start.
Old October 19, 2011, 10:41 PM   #29
ShaulWolf

My wife and I had just gotten to bed and asleep around 2300-2315. I wake up to our female German Shepherd snarling, barking, and banging against the rear sliding glass door. Our male GSD joins in immediately afterwards. If her extreme level of aggression wasn't enough to throw the red flag, then the male joining in was.

I immediately threw on a pair of shorts while telling my wife to stay put, grabbed my M&P40 from the nightstand, the LED flashlight next to it, and started to move towards the dogs.

The dogs continued to lunge at the door while I did a quick sweep of the downstairs towards the rear door. I turned on the rear lights and sent the dogs out for them to double check while I stood watch from the door. They immediately went after someone who was busy sprinting across the neighbors' yards far far away from the two angry GSDs and suddenly away homeowner.

I called the dogs bag, locked the door, and reported it in. After that I did a quick sweep of the house again and went to bed. I told my wife about the details later, and was promptly smacked upside the head for not telling her the dogs were actually alerting to someone and not spooking.

Lessons learned:
  • Trust my dogs
  • Get a tac light to attach to my gun
  • Have my cell phone ready as well
  • Keep one dog inside in case someone gets by me
  • Keep pants nearby since shorts don't have pockets
Old October 20, 2011, 01:31 PM   #30
Shadi Khalil

I live in apartment right outside DC, our neighborhood is not the safest place (you wouldn't know from the rent) and we have had quite a few bump in the night situations. Our apartment is pretty small, between the bedroom and the front door is about 10 feet. I keep a mossberg at my bedside and two revolvers on and in my night stand, one with a crimson trace grip. When I hear something that warrants investigation, I'll usually sit up in bed and pick up my 637 ct loaded with gold dot short barrels and just wait and listen.

After a min of waiting and listening, I'll set down the 637 and pick up the mossberg and surefire. My wife will wait in the bedroom with her P239 loaded with Gold dot 124gr standard pressure jhp.

The funny thing is, every time I jump up in the middle of the night, my wifes cat will follow me out into the rest of the apartment. If I just get up for a drink or to use the bathroom, she stays put. However, when I jump up and grab a pistol, she jumps up and creeps right along with me. Good ol' lucy always has my back...

Old October 24, 2011, 05:51 AM   #31
quepasakimosabe

Haha...I know what you mean about kids, i scared mine so bad he wet himeself and I think thats why he hates my AR. it was 0130 on a fri/sat and I heard a bump in the kitchen. I grabbed the AR with a 210 lumen surfire on it and noticed nothing in the hall/living room turn right into the kitchen blast the light and its my at the time 4 year old son eating cheetos...the cheetos went everywhere i lowered the weapon and ran to him picked him up and set him back in his bed my wife comes out the bedroom like why is he crying, and why did he **** himself? I was all amped up but calming down as I explained what happened...check the bedrooms if you have kids. learned my lesson. To this day when I get the AR out for anything he goes in the other room, poor guy.
To sum it up: Somewhere there is a TRUE BELIEVER training, he will not stop in his mission, he knows only the cause. What have you done today? For your brothers at arms, friends, family, your country, yourself?
Old October 24, 2011, 06:16 AM   #32
youngunz4life

we have a good alarm and false alarms are very rare. I get that funny feeling when it goes off. my wife and I share a safe word too in case one of us is up while the other comes downstairs in the middle of the night or something. We have many windows, all doors and their is a motion detector too. at bedtime it is on 'instant' so there is no delay before the alarm goes off(if I open the door from work I will have a brief period of time to eneter the code after breaching the alarm.

I would stay upstairs with the family, and the alarm people will call. They can tell me immediately what has been breached: they can say basement window, motion detector inside, garage door, etc. Basically, I would know immediately if this was for real or not. That's when I tell them to send police.
Old October 28, 2011, 03:37 PM   #33
pturner67

Eight years back, I had an actual incident involving an intruder. I was married at the time and lived in a very nice area known as Rosemont (basically part of Old Town Alexandria, VA outside of DC). The stealth motion detection sensor in the back of the house chimed into the master bedroom. I kept my Mossberg 500 under the bed within reach and was easily able to grab it. I knew where the motion was since that was the only sensor I needed since the bedroom was on the front of the house.

I got up, grabbed my gun, told my wife to follow me and immediately dial 911 from her cell and give the police our address, stay near the front porch and stay on the line with them until you hear some sort of confirmation one way or the other.

She heard a confirmation alright. She heard the notorious shotgun chick-chick sound and me yelling to walk backwards slowly and that I'd blow the guy fcvking in half if he even so much as tripped. The wife was on the phone crying. The guy was screaming for me to let him go. He finally got on the ground face down and hands behind his head. I had the gun on him the whole time. House was surrounded by 10 police cars. They had a gun pointed at the dirtbag so I put the gun down and also got on the ground. Once the police found out who the bad guy was, they were pretty nice to me.

End of story...It's not like the movies. It's very traumatic even if you're the one in control. I still don't sleep as soundly as I used to.

Last edited by pturner67; October 28, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old October 28, 2011, 04:34 PM   #34
pax

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...3&postcount=31

That's why I'm not a fan of weapon mounted lights for most ordinary citizen use. When you hear a bump in the night, you have no business pointing the gun everywhere you look in a home you share with family members. Never point the gun at anything you are not willing to shoot. If you are not willing to shoot your own 4-year-old son, your home defense plans should not include pointing the gun at noises you haven't identified.

pax
Old October 28, 2011, 04:56 PM   #35
golfballshootr

+1 to pax's comment.

Also, just curious, because I don't agree with it, not saying I am the one that's right, but.....a rifle round being potentially used in a house?? I think this could go south or become an entire new thread, but, if you were to illuminate bad guy (A), he has a weapon and/or makes threating gestures (B), you use the weapon (C), where is the round going if you miss, neighbor, adjoining room(s) (D)??
Old November 8, 2011, 08:13 AM   #36
rialtas

i think you did really well... the only thing i ever say is that as you will wake up half startled and groggy always keep the safety on until you actually see something as you cant undo bad mistakes.
Old November 8, 2011, 10:51 AM   #37
ltc444

interesting situation.

What do you do when you wake up at 0300hrs, turn the lights on and see a red dot stable about 18 inches above your head. The SO response time is 4 hours if ever.

I turned the lights off dropped to the floor. My wife rolled out of bed to the floor. She grabbed the Mossburg and I grabbed my 1911. (now keep a loaded AR 15 next to my bed and a loaded 338 Win close at hand.)

My friend, an ex marine sniper and legend in the SPEC OPS World, and I tracked a sniper team to their hide. The hide was 800 yards from my front window. They had all ready deded and we were left with footprints, crushed grass and the spot were they had set their bipods.

Word of advice don't ever upset the Pinal County Sheriff.
Old November 10, 2011, 11:23 AM   #38
bikerbill

I don't have an alarm, but I do have a particularly noisy beagle. If he goes off at night and I haven't heard any suspicious noises, I investigate, armed, while my wife prepares to call 911 on the old cell phone we keep in the bedroom for emergencies. He's usually upset that a skunk is using our backyard to get from one place to another, but you never know. If I'm really concerned, we'd stay in the bedroom and call 911 for help, but I can't call the cops every time he barks or we'd have a patrol car in the driveway 24-7.
Old November 11, 2011, 08:12 PM   #39
OkieGentleman

Middle of the night.

New house, new appliances. Loudest ice maker in the world, I thought the front door had been kicked in at 1 AM.

Pity the poor intruder into my house, Castle Law ( I feared for my life officer), old 45 will digest any load, I,m to old to fist fight and I sleep in the buff and clear the house the same way I got out of bed.

Hows that for a visual image?
Old November 12, 2011, 04:03 AM   #40
therealdeal

Quote:
I sleep in the buff and clear the house the same way I got out of bed
I re-read it. At first I pictured a naked guy going toe to toe with the intruder barehanded

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 12, 2011, 09:34 AM   #41
OkieGentleman

Nope, like I said I'm too old to fist fight. I figure if me showing up starkers with an old 45 in my hand doesn't make the intruder want to leave, he needs shooting. Or he is blind. Did you know if you polish the muzzle of your weapon it makes the bore look bigger? And when it is pointed at someone in the dark it appears to shine, that is what an OKC officer told me once over coffee. Yes the muzzle of his carry weapon had the bluing removed and was highly polished.
Old December 3, 2011, 03:29 PM   #42
Steviewonder1

My home alarm went off two days ago at 3AM. It took 15 seconds to gather my thoughts, get the eyes focused, get the 1911 and flashlight off of the nightstand, went to the Alarm Pad, read the zone which was the great room which is next to the bedroom one floor down with a 2 story ceiling. I remotely turned all lights on in the great room (X-25 Remotes all over the house), I pied the corner of the door out of the bedroom and looked down on the 4 windows in that zone and all looked secure. I turned the alarm off, called the monitoring station and told them all was well. The issue was two of the windows were not locked and over a period of time moved enough for one of the contacts to open. I secured both windows. It took more than a half hour to get back to sleep. My wife and I are the only two in the house so covering the house with a gun is not an issue for me. Later that day I re-checked the locking of all of the other windows.
Old December 3, 2011, 04:53 PM   #43
wayneinFL

Quote:
So sad how wee have come to be such a frightened nation.
I don't think people are frightened so much as they're tired of putting up with it.
Old December 3, 2011, 04:59 PM   #44
Deja vu

The only house alarm we have is my wife’s little yappy dog. It is not much threat to a burglar but it is very good at sounding the alarm if there is any problem. The only time I ever heard my "alarm" was about 1:15am on a hot summer night and the dog starts going nuts. I then hear a crash.

My wife calls 911 and I grab the guns (Remington 870 with 00 buck Shot and my S&W 640 I slipped in to my pajama pocket) As quietly as I could I got the kids in to our room, and waited for the cops. This whole time I hear occasional crashes. I was praying that I did not have to use my gun. Other than my family there is nothing in the house worth dying for. I all so saw my wife had the Marlin 1894C close at hand (The gun safe is in our bed room)

Well about 35 min later the Sherriff finally show up (did I mention I live out in the middle of no where?). He goes through the house and then I hear him swear really loud then start laughing. I was relieved to hear him laugh. I announce my presence very loudly so the police would know it was me and not an intruder, and walk down the stairs. That is when I see it. Our intruder was a Raccoon and it had made a real mess of things. I don’t think the raccoon was intimidated by the dog (we use to keep it locked the laundry room at night). The reason the sherrif was swearing was he has steped in some milk left on the floor and all most slipped.

As far as how I handled it. I don’t know what I could have done better. I did have to leave my room to get the kids as the wife called 911. I brought the kids to the bed room as quietly as possible and waited for the police. I was ready to shoot any thing that came through the door and my wife stayed on the line with the police the entire time.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old December 3, 2011, 09:27 PM   #45
Stevie-Ray

While staying at my new house, I got one "bump in the night." It's just the wife and me along with 2 cats, so I'm used to hearing the cats chasing and such. Problem was both cats were on the bed and craning their necks and staring intently at the other side of the house where the sound came from. I suspected the mud room, where the back door is, though there is 2 locks along with a knob brace. I investigated with my EDC and flashlight (Kimber UCDP and Ray-O-Vac Sportsman Extreme) and it was indeed the mud room. A box had fallen off the top of one of the cupboards I had yet to install. We're slowly moving and boxes are common, but putting them where they can fall unannounced is not. The cupboards have since been installed and I make sure boxes aren't sitting haphazardly. I'm sure I could improve, but overall, I think I did OK, though I was terrified.
Old December 4, 2011, 11:30 AM   #46
FireForged

To be critical... I do not consider creeping around looking for a potential bad-guy to be a good plan, and certainly not with someone in tow. I know it wasnt your home but I would never have a alarm that couldnt be quickly silenced from the master bedroom. I want to have a alarm that will wake me but once awake, I want to be able to hear, think and communicate easily. I agree with you that the concern over fumbling around with condition 1,2 or 3 is exactly the reason I selected a revolver for the nightstand.

Last edited by FireForged; December 4, 2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old December 4, 2011, 11:47 AM   #47
PADefenseTrainer

It's all about planning ahead

False alarms are great training opportunities. That's when you find out what you don't know.

I had a similar issue happen about 8 years ago. Same thing, I was sound asleep when the alarm went off.

But, I had planned for that, so I knew where my HK .45 with weapon light was (I don't care what you say, my home defense weapon will ALWAYS have a light on it!). My pattern is to have a full magazine and an empty chamber. I need to be awake enough to rack the slide before I can shoot the gun.

But I also sprang for a decent alarm system and all bedrooms have a alarm keypad in them.

My first step (after getting the gun) was to go to the keypad and the display tells me "GARAGE MOTION". I wait for another 10 seconds - and no other alarm.

So now I knew what area to check first. And since there were no secondary alarms, I could tell that there wasn't anyone else anywhere else.

I stopped to put on pants because I didn't want to be found dead in my house wearing nothing but Simpsons boxer shorts

It turned out to be nothing - probably a mouse or something. I have since tweaked the system to keep that from happening.

There's a lot of places in our lives where we can save money. But if you are going to have an alarm - splurge a little.
Old December 4, 2011, 06:35 PM   #48
Rusty35

Quote:
Deaf Smith

Alarm went off once. Wife and I did a 'mad minute' and all was quiet after that.

Took weeks to patch all the holes in the walls.

Deaf
Similar situation for me, only one bullet hole though, where the alarm used to be.
Old December 21, 2011, 08:25 PM   #49
fawcettlee

Huh?

That was my response upon hearing the alarm, and my wife's response upon my telling her the alarm went off.
Our 85 lb doberman sleeps on the first floor and he wasn't barking, but I grabbed my glasses, Fenix TK-11 and my HK USP .40 from my bedside and cleared the house. If that didn't work, my scary body would have done the job because the only thing I forgot to grab was clothes.
Old December 21, 2011, 09:34 PM   #50
jon_in_wv

Last week my "alarm" went off. My boxer was barking and growling something fierce. I looked out of the window and I saw some guy had backed a moving van up- my driveway and was lined up with my basement door. Apparently he heard the barking and had gave up his plan to spoil our Christmas and had just gotten back in the truck to leave. Lucky for him he didn't come in the house.