The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 24, 2011, 05:14 PM   #1
Burton

Savage 24 sights

Newbie here--tried to post this the other day on the rifle page, but think I messed it up. Anyway, I have a Savage 24V-A in .222 Remmington/20 gauge. I want to be able to use a scope for the .222 and see under it for the shotgun--at least the front bead. On eBay and Gunbroker I see cheap see- through scope mounts. Has anyone tried these? Are they rugged enough for hunting? Is there a way to use a rear sight, too, so as to shoot slugs. (THese barrels are never regulated.) Some of the scope mounts are said to move easily--does anyone know about these on Gunbroker? No brand is listed--Chinese junk?

Also, to build this into a decent survival gun, is there a way to have some sort of pivoting butt plate so as to have the trap door useage (like the Camper model) AND a recoil pad? I know the 20 does not kick too bad (except with 3" magums) but I am a man with no padding...skin on bones pretty much.

Thanks for any help.
Old March 24, 2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Burton

oops.

My previous post in rifles did post...sorry, not too swift here on the 'pewter and posting. Thank you for all the good input!