The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 8, 2011, 11:19 PM   #1
yellowlegs

prob w 58 rem

ok im a rookie and dont know the names of parts but i need some help ... i took my rem apart after shooting to clean well and debur anything that needed it there were some burs on the hammer notches and trigger and the lil finger that turns the cyl . now there is 3 clicks 2nd is what im calling the cyl lock it strikes a bit beforethe notch it goes into also after 2nd click hammer goes back to 1st click pos . if {in 2nd clk pos } i tuirn thy cyl to lock . the hammer wont pull back and trigger wont pull . i am hoping someone will help me figure out what i did .. it didnt need fixing before i thought i could improve it . well if anyone can make since of this please educate me . i noticed the roa has some metal removed in the area im ref.
Old March 8, 2011, 11:57 PM   #2
arcticap

Here's a really nice disassembly thread with large photos of all of the 1858 parts and a large diagram.
You'll probably need to take it apart to fix it, so maybe you can examine the parts to see if there's anything obviously wrong.

Rem. 1858 New Model - How to Disasemble

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=223885

The THR website also has people who can help you.
Many revolver shooters are members of both of these forums.
Old March 9, 2011, 12:13 AM   #3
arcticap

edit

Last edited by arcticap; March 9, 2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old March 9, 2011, 01:25 AM   #4
yellowlegs

well

everything is together in the right place but the cyl lock touches the cyl sooner than before i was hoping someone knows what is wrong
Old March 9, 2011, 04:43 AM   #5
Hawg

The bolt should hit the cylinder just before the leading edge gets to the notch. If it's hitting before then the bolt legs are probably too short. You may can fix it by making sure both legs are parallel and evenly spaced.