The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 15, 2010, 11:45 AM   #26
amamnn

The most helpful to me in the last few years has been Sierra's manual. Years ago it might have been Richard Lee's book or before that the Lyman manual. These days I run everything through Quickload ---BUT--- as the Quickload program will tell you over and again, I double check that data against my manuals, mainly the Sierra because it has data for target cartridges that most others, if not all the others do not.

I have had the experience of seeing a load that is stated to be under max pressure on my Quickload screen and seeing that same powder charge as above max in my manual. The manual was right. I had a hard bolt lift nearly a whole grain of powder before the Quickload max was reached.
Old October 15, 2010, 12:02 PM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amamnn
I have had the experience of seeing a load that is stated to be under max pressure on my Quickload screen and seeing that same powder charge as above max in my manual. The manual was right. I had a hard bolt lift nearly a whole grain of powder before the Quickload max was reached.
That's true, but once you tweak QuickLoad to match the real conditions and powder lot, it's going to be right on the money almost all the time. The manual is not adjustable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbicatter
For some reason I have an uncanny knack for picking a bullet and powder combination that has very little written data available. As a novice reloader, I am reluctant to use software to provide my load data. However, reluctant as I am of making a mistake with data entry, I believe Quickloads software will be my solution in the end.
I totally understand. It's hard to imagine it. I've only just started reloading about a year ago. It's just plain scary at first, no matter where you get the data, at least it was for me.

I always double check QuickLoad with the closest data I can find but, like you, I can never find the EXACT bullet and powder combination that I want to use.

In the end, the same rule applies. Start low, work up and look for pressure signs. Just as importantly, since pressure signs are not reliable, is to verify muzzle velocities. You can pretty well bet that if QuickLoad says 2850fps and you're getting 2950fps (this just happened to me) then you're also getting the PRESSURE of 2950fps. The QuickLoad burn rate assumption was off by 5% for that particular powder.

That instance is, by far, the largest error that I've seen so far. QuickLoad predicts the MV of my 204 Ruger with 32gr V-Max bullet over Benchmark to 99.7% accuracy.

I don't think any reloader, especially for rifle rounds, can spend a better $250 than on QuickLoad and a chronograph.
Old October 15, 2010, 08:47 PM   #28
johnjohn

Lyman,Lee, ABC's
Old October 15, 2010, 11:41 PM   #29
Taroman

Probably Lyman. Has more generic information and more lead bullets.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old November 6, 2010, 08:44 PM   #30
Clark

Quote:
peetzakilla

That's true, but once you tweak QuickLoad to match the real conditions and powder lot, it's going to be right on the money almost all the time. The manual is not adjustable.
Quickload over estimate on my jug of H4350 for velocity and pressure is 4%.
QL overestimates by 3% on Re22.
QL is right on the money in Varget.
QL is right on the money for my canister IMR4895.
QL is right on the money for Re17.

Rather than tweak Quickload a percentage more or less powder, I would like to run into someone who knows how to alter the constants in the powder library.

You reading this Hartmut?
Old November 6, 2010, 09:17 PM   #31
mikejonestkd

ABC's, Lee second edition, Lyman and the Speer are the four I started with just over a year ago. Supplemented them with manufacturer's websites, and a few cartridge specific load books and I'm just about all set....for now at least.

Reading all the reloading threads on this forum really helped, its a great place to ask questions and there are members that know more about reloading than I'll ever learn!
Old November 7, 2010, 01:22 AM   #32
HiBC

Late 60's,the Hogdon manual was the one Claude,my local gunsmith,handed me.
It taught the process,the safety,gave data for Hogdon powders and some perhaps slightly biased data from the other powder mfg's.It had Lyman cast bullet data.That manual served me well.Another local smith sold bulk surplus Hogdon.
These days I use a fair number of Noslers,and I like their manual.
For the folks with 10,15 year old manuals,most of what is in there is still good,but powder and bullets just change a little over time.MFG technology,companies get bought and sold,
I recall a friend bringing me his dad's sporter 30-06 mauser.He said "It kicks real hard and the primers fall out and there is this black stuff...Is is supposed to do that?
Turns out his dad contacted his old hunting buddy to load up some ammo for the son.The gentleman faithfully reproduced the load they used long ago.I found the load in PO Ackley's books.A perfectly safe load for old surplus H-4895.Not so with modern H-4895,and these have changed as Hogdon went to the extreme series powders.
I like to keep pretty current.I like to get the magazine format Hogdon annual every year.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:09 AM   #33
kraigwy

The newer manuals are great for referance, but when it comes to really understanding reloading, I found the older books more helpful.

Phip Sharps COMPLETE GUIDE TO RELOADING.
Whelen's WHY NOT LOAD YOUR OWN

One of the best in my library is Mattern's HANDLOADING AMMUNITION which came out in 1926.

Yes, lots of things, powder, bullets, primers, etc, have changed over the years but those older guys really got down into the nitty gritty of reloading the modern guides don't cover.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 7, 2010, 09:21 AM   #34
TXGunNut

Good point, Captain. I wondered why I like the older manuals and couldn't put my finger on it until now. The principles of loading haven't changed, the components change every year.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old November 7, 2010, 10:10 AM   #35
jaguarxk120

The third book you forgot to mention is "Principles and Practice of Loading Ammunition by Earl Naramore"

The three books are the standards that all the others copy from.

The loading data my change with time, but the way we do things is still the same.

Today the reloader has more options as far as tooling go's than ever before. And the tooling out there is the best there ever was.
Old November 7, 2010, 07:17 PM   #36
willr

Don't overlook the NRA Guide to reloading. It has plenty of advice and reasons why. Of course, it has no loading data, but that can come from elsewhere. I have found it very valuable.

willr