The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2008, 10:13 PM   #1
greyhnd33

38 special Lee Loader???

Hi,
I am thinking about getting a Lee Loader in 38 special but need some info/help.
I want to load 148 grain lead wadcutters flush to the top of the case, but I am not sure if this is possible with the Lee Loader??? Can you reload 148 grain lead wadcutters? If not what type and grain of bullet do you have to use with this kit?
Thanks for any help you can give me!
Old July 26, 2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Stumper

I do not own a 38 spcl Lee loader but based on the others I have owned/used it should load wadcutters just fine. Be advised that you will likely decide quickly to move on to a more efficient loading system. Th eLee loader makes perfectly fine ammo-it is just S....L...O...WWW.

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old July 26, 2008, 10:31 PM   #3
fastforty

I started with a .38/.357 Lee Loader, bought a press after 200 rounds. The "tap, tap, tapping" of hammering the cases in & out of the die with drive anyone within earshot bonkers, LOL. But yeah, it works & it's a cheap way to start reloading.
Old July 27, 2008, 11:02 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

my first 'KB'

The 148g WC work.

Serious safety advice: wear safety glasses while loading; wear a thick glove on the hand that holds the rod used when priming cases.
Old July 27, 2008, 04:01 PM   #5
jdscholer

Ah, the memories. I started with a Lee Loader for my 20 ga. when I was about 14 years old. It taught me the fundamentals, and the satisfaction of bustin roosters with my own reloads which were sometimes a little far on the custom side. Or maybe custom loads on the "Far Side".
I got my first center fire rifle at 17, a .243 Win., Ruger 77, and immediately bought a Lee Loader to go with it. This time God was looking out for me, because my brother in law gifted me with a good powder scale and the Speer Reloading Manual. He apparently saw a need.
With this more complete outfit, I assembeled loads that would often group 3/4 of an inch or even better at times.-5 shots,100yds. This with an off the rack rifle with sporter barrel and Weaver 4 power scope. I out shot enough guys with fancier equipment to know that my meathods were on the right track.
A better job brought me a Rockchucker and all the accessories, but I think anyone who wants to get started could learn a lot with a Lee Loader. Please get a few books and a good scale though. These are items you will want when ya finally move up to a quieter technique of loading.
Old July 28, 2008, 05:36 PM   #6
farmall

Good advice here. I sure can't fault the Lee Loader. Some of the shootinest ammo I've ever loaded has been with the Target Model loaders in 22-250, 243 and 220 Swift.
They are a great way to find out if reloading is for you without a significant cash outlay.
Andy
Old July 29, 2008, 10:10 PM   #7
mikenbarb

I use a couple Lee loaders(not often) and found it easier to use a small pipe clamp instead of hammering the bullet in. I just glued on leather pads to the clamp and take it easy with it till it gets to where its got to go. if not enough, I just tap it once or twice to finish it. They work great but they are slow like stumper said. I have a zero error one that loads better than my press and dies.