The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 23, 2015, 08:04 PM   #26
WV_gunner

Marlin had a semi auto carbine in 9mm. It died off. Someone already mentioned the Ruger in .44 mag, it too died off. Lever action ones will always be popular though. NEF had many different chamberings that included pistol rounds, the whole company is dead. Except for the random few buyers if it's not a hi point or a lever it won't be bought. Pump pistol caliber guns died after a couple tries, unless you want a reproduction. Rossi has the circuit judge, an excellent gun but I'm surprised it's still in production. I would like to see a raging version in .454 but while we are at it why not a Governor rifle or a BFR rifle? Another pistol carbine is the AR, if you can dream it then you can get it. AK have been converted too. Pistol caliber carbines have been here for a long time and aren't going anywhere.
Old September 25, 2015, 02:58 AM   #27
bamaranger

repro

I wonder if the reproduction military firearms, mostly vintage type, might not become more popular. Sort of dependent on the availability of .22lr ammo, but why not in the new .22......9mm? Not full auto, semi would work.

We've seen the STG44, the PPsH, 1911's in .22, ....why not a Thompson, a BAR, MP38, gosh, an M2? Pretty niche, but so are these others. Hey what about an M60, an SVD, an MP40? Expensive....yeah, to redesign and overcome, but the interest may be out there. A blowback action may be cheap to do, I dunno. Certainly cheaper, to own, and to shoot, than an original.
Old September 25, 2015, 06:50 AM   #28
BlueTrain

Aren't Thompsons still available? I have seen and handled a BAR which I think was a "replica."

The problem inherent in reproducing most older firearms is the cost, which was often one of the reasons they were replaced in the first place. Supposedly the Luger was expensive to make and presumably so was the 1903 Springfield, yet they were both still being manufactured in quantity in 1942 or 1943. There were other reasons they were replaced, of course, but cost is always a factor, even more so when you're paying for it yourself.

Larger fully automatic and even semi-automatic weapons can be incredibly expensive to make because of the use they're expected to receive. Can you imagine the stresses of a M1917 Browning machine gun being fired full auto? But they were still in use when I was going through basic training in 1965.

All of the above notwithstanding, Lugers have been reproduced from time to time. The company that was located in Colt's old factory supposedly produced M1910 Colt automatics (never saw one) as well as a line of reproduction Colt single action revolvers (had two of them). Of course, Colt still makes Colt Single Action Army revolvers and in a sense, they're reproductions.

And speaking of Colts, someone is supposedly going to make M1903 Colt pocket autos in the form in which they were issued in the US Army (for general officers) but I doubt I'll ever see one, much less have one. I did have an original one, however, but not army issue.

Even allowing for the cost, however, things like that are still only niche market products, I think. And probably the biggest cost factor is the lack of skilled workers to produce things with the finish that was the standard in, say, 1935. And if there were, they wouldn't be paid at 1935 wage rates. Besides, there are lots of old things around that sometimes are available at competitive prices--which I can't afford anyway.

It is also remarkable the number of things that are still being manufactured and by the original manufacturer since before WWII and some from even earlier.
Buy War Bonds.

Last edited by BlueTrain; September 25, 2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old September 25, 2015, 07:27 AM   #29
kozak6

Smart scopes are a brand new thing that hasn't caught on yet. There is a heck of a lot of potential, though.

Quote:
Aren't Thompsons still available?
Yeah, Auto Ordinance, owned by Kahr, still makes Thompsons. Not very popular, though.

Quote:
Hey what about an M60, an SVD, an MP40? Expensive....yeah, to redesign and overcome, but the interest may be out there. A blowback action may be cheap to do, I dunno. Certainly cheaper, to own, and to shoot, than an original.
Actually, the .22 GSG MP-40 is already available, and they had a 9mm version at the SHOT show.

All the GSG .22's are basically airsoft shells with .22 guts, so it's kind of surprising there isn't more variety.
Old September 25, 2015, 08:35 PM   #30
reynolds357

Smart scopes are in their infancy. They are still way over priced and way under performing. Great concept, but still a long way from perfection.