The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 21, 2012, 09:10 AM   #1
ScotchMan

Belt Advice around $50

I'm looking for a good leather belt on a budget. I currently wear a 5.11 Rigger's belt, it has two problems. First, you always lose about half an inch of tightness when closing it with the resistance style buckle, and second, the girlfriend hates it.

So I want a leather belt that can still support my carry rig. I got a 5.11 Leather belt with stiffener in it, but the size is wrong so I need to exchange it. Is this a decent belt or is it going to fall apart on me?

Any other advice on a good belt around the $50 point?

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old January 21, 2012, 09:20 AM   #2
roadrash

I have a double layer 1 1/2" Don Hume that I have been wearing for about five or six years.I wear mine every day even when I am not carrying a pistol.It is well broken in,yet still supports my Glock and mags just fine.
They run around $50
Old January 21, 2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

I'd suggest, if you can swing it, save up a bit. My first gun belt was a $50 Ross that held up pretty well for a year. After a year, it was pretty much toast.

My second belt was a $100 belt from the beltman. I've had it 4+ years and it is still going strong. While it is outside of what you are willing to spend, you'll be getting a much better belt for a little more money. Over the lifetime of the belt, it will cost you less money per year too.

www.thebeltman.net
Old January 21, 2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Water-Man

You can buy a pretty good belt from Crossbreed Holsters for $60.00.
Old January 21, 2012, 08:59 PM   #5
ScotchMan

I was interested in something from the beltman too, but then I read of people needing a new one every few years. At that price I could get a cheap belt and have it last just as long.

I exchanged the 5.11 for another one that is the proper size. I am wearing it now and amazed at how much more stable the gun is. I'm just worried its going to get scuffed up and damaged by the Crossbreed sliding on and off of it every day. Anyone have experience with the 5.11 and whether its equivalent or worse than the other options mentioned so far in the price range?

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old January 22, 2012, 12:55 AM   #6
oldandslow

sm, 1/22/12

I have belts by a number of manufacturers including the Belt Man. For the best bang for the buck try the Cabela's double thickness belt. I have two, one four years old which has seen a lot of tough use in the jungle hunting pigs and a new one my daughter got me for Christmas. Cost was $39.99 for one and the second at $29.99 on sale. They both still work well. For a good belt at a budget price they are tough to beat.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old January 22, 2012, 06:04 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I was interested in something from the beltman too, but then I read of people needing a new one every few years.
I bought a horsehide belt and it is still very stiff. Not like brand new, but very close.

I suppose it is possible to wear out a beltman in a few years but from my experience they seem to hold up very well with proper care.
Old January 24, 2012, 03:50 PM   #8
scsov509

Quote:
I exchanged the 5.11 for another one that is the proper size. I am wearing it now and amazed at how much more stable the gun is. I'm just worried its going to get scuffed up and damaged by the Crossbreed sliding on and off of it every day. Anyone have experience with the 5.11 and whether its equivalent or worse than the other options mentioned so far in the price range?
I bought that same belt a few months ago to see if it would hold up well enough to work for dress up days. The belt is still solid enough, but the finish has not held up well at all. It's got a bad scratch down the front where the buckle rubs against it, and then marks on the left and right sides where my holster and mag carriers come on an off each day. I've been able to touch it up with a brown sharpie and keep it looking decent, but it's definitely not one I'd recommend to other people.
Old January 24, 2012, 04:10 PM   #9
ScotchMan

Yeah I noticed it has a nasty mark on it already, after one full day of wear. I think its past being able to return it, it already has the indentations that come with wearing it. I guess I'll just use it to death and then invest in something else when the time comes.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I might check out the Cabella's belts if they are really that good for $39

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old January 24, 2012, 06:05 PM   #10
twobit

simplyrugged dotcom makes good belts (and holsters too!).
Old January 25, 2012, 07:37 AM   #11
rayban

May I offer my services....I'm around your price point.
Here's a few I've shipped out this week so far...