The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 14, 2006, 10:52 PM   #1
geogecko

(TX) DFW Area Initial Handgun Training

I have never fired a pistol in my life, other than a BB gun, and neither has my wife. We are considering taking some kind of initial training somewhere, and I've basically narrowed it down to these two places (I'm open to others within a certain distance).

#1 http://dfwgun.com/IntroFirearms.htm
#2 http://www.dallaspistolclub.com/nrabasicpistol.php

It's a bit confusing, here, because choice #1 is $115 for 2 hours, and #2 is $60 for 10-12 hours. Seems like the more intensive training would be the longer one, but I don't know.

I like the first one, as I get to know a place that I would probably consider shooting at (non-membership)...

If I really get into it, then I plan on taking some training out at Tac Pro, but that's a drive for me (at least an hour or more). I live in the Northwest Dallas area, near Grapevine Lake.

I'm open to other places, but would like to get recommendations, or opinions if you have used one of the places listed here.

Thanks!
Old October 14, 2006, 11:19 PM   #2
Venison_Jerkey32

As far as DFW area is concerned, I would suggest The Bullet Trap inc, because I have had good experience with them, never taken any courses there, but their website has information. They are in Plano so it isn't in your backyard. They also have alot of pistols to rent and try out. YMMV hope I could help.

http://www.bullettrapinc.com/
Old October 14, 2006, 11:47 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

The price difference is due to the curriculum difference. The length of the course isn't a good gauge of the value.

The 2 hour course is primarily a shooting course with the range providing guns for you to try out and to learn to shoot. It's also one-on-one instruction which means that you're the only means of support for that instructor for those two hours.

The 10 hour course is a general knowledge course about pistols and firearm safety, not a shooting instruction course. It's primarily a classroom course--there's very little shooting involved. There will most likely be several other students in the class so the cost of the instructor is shared.

If you know absolutely nothing about guns and your primary interest is in becoming a safe and knowledgeable gun owner, the 10 hour course is a good start.

If you need to get some shooting practice to improve your proficiency with a pistol, the 2 hour course is for you.
Old October 15, 2006, 12:11 AM   #4
geogecko

Thanks for the replys. Good information.

Bullet Trap sounds like a nice range. Not very close, and will depend on what days they offer classes, but I could probably do that. Ah, 5:30 on Thursdays won't work...

I've been reading a lot, and reading several online sites about handguns and CHL, so I know a little bit about them, and the responsibility. I think that both courses sound pretty good, although I wish there was more a combination of the two, you know, like half a day in the classroom, and an hour or two of individual attention in shooting training. That would be ideal.

I think the two hour course sounds like the best to me right now. I think the one-on-one training would be good for both myself and my wife.
Old October 16, 2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Big Calhoun

DFW Gun is good for more advanced classes, particularly security training.

The Bullet Trap is very friendly, and their initial gun classes are thorough and easy to follow. They also offer CHL classes which I should be getting into one next month.

I'm in the same boat. DFW Gun is only 20 minutes or so away from me, the Bullet Trap is murderous ride down 635 and 75 and then you hit all the construction at the Park Blvd exit...pain in the arse. IMO, though, you'll have a much better experience at the Bullet Trap.
Old October 16, 2006, 01:12 PM   #6
geogecko

I'll take your word on that. I don't think my wife is that interested right now, so it may be easier for me to go to BT. I'll have to take off work early on one day to do it though, since it would probably take me an hour and a half to get t0 Plano from Grand Prairie.

Looks like the training lasts a bit longer, and with only 10 students, it should be fairly one-on-one (or at least, better instructor to student ratio).

I'll probably take the CHL after this class, hopefully after having fired several rounds through my gun, once I get it...

Edit:
BTW, what is Northbound 75 like around 4:30 in the afternoon, on a weekday.

I just signed up for the class coming up.
Old October 16, 2006, 01:57 PM   #7
Big Calhoun

Northbound on 75 in the afternoon on a weekday is trecherous. All that work they're doing around Park Blvd and Parker Rd backs up everything coming off the mixmaster. Add about 25-35 minutes to your normal estimate.

If you end up needing to absolutely need an evening class, I think DFW Gun has a little more flexibility.
Old October 16, 2006, 02:08 PM   #8
geogecko

They do, because they have a Friday class, and I have every other Friday off, so that would be better, but I wouldn't mind this for just one day...

I'll probably leave around 3:30 to be there by 5:30. If I get there early, I can take a look around the store.

I also asked if I could shoot a .45 during the range session, since that is what I will be getting, and they said they have one that they will be showing, and allowing us to shoot, if so desired. Seem like nice people.
Old October 26, 2006, 11:30 PM   #9
geogecko

The class at Bullet Trap was this evening. It was excellent. 3mMike and Dan were awesome instructors/coaches in class and on the range. In fact, I arrived about 30 minutes early and got to look around. Everyone I talked to at the store was very friendly and nice (4 people in all).

I was amazed at how many guns we got to shoot, several .22's, 38 specials, 9mm's, and a .45.

Picking up the .22 for the first time was a little intimidating, coming from someone who has not shot a handgun before. The move up to the 38 special was surprising, and the .45 had less recoil than I thought it would.

Overall, I did the best shooting the SA 1911-A1 .45 than any, with about a 1" grouping (all touching), at 3 yards (I know, far away, huh?).

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation, I don't think the class could have been better taught.

BT is a bit of a drive for me, about 45 minutes, but I wouldn't hesitate to go there again, or make a purchase from them. Very nice folks, heck, they all even stayed 20 minutes late, since the class ran over!
Old October 28, 2006, 11:24 AM   #10
xnavy

http://www.winchestergallery.com/

Here is where I go for my renewals and practice sessions.