The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 9, 2011, 09:28 AM   #1
DLH1234

H&R Victor .32, six shot,mfr date

when my dad died I got his poker pistol...neat little weapon...marked "Victor 32 S&W CTGE" on top of frame above cylinder...SN 26796 (same # is under the stocks)...is there a reliable way to know when it was mfr'd or shipped from maker? I will try and attach a couple of photos...have 1/2 OLD box of .32 short colt 80 gr. ammo..I've shot it a couple of times...I was told to be careful about what I shoot through it. can anyone direct me to a H&R savant or written reference?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HR 32 overall A.jpg (152.0 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg HR 32 sn.jpg (148.6 KB, 352 views)
Old September 9, 2011, 12:53 PM   #2
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

DLH1234,
Welcome to the forum.

Your "VICTOR" was made by H&R Arms Co., sometime between circa 1913 and the late 1930s (exact dates are not available at this time, as the VICTOR was not catalogued, routinely by H&R.)
The VICTOR line was one of the H&R "off-brand" hardware store and catalogue sales pieces. The line included 3 frame sizes all of which were equipped with blued or Nickel plated solid frames, round barrels and unfluted cylinders. The Large frame (based upon the AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION and in later years the MODEL 1904) offered with 2 1/2", 4 1/2" or 6" barrels, in 6x .32 S&W Long or 5x .38 S&W. The Medium frame (based upon the medium YOUNG AMERICA D.A.) with 2" or 4" barrel, in 5x .32 S&W Long. The Small frame (based upon the small YOUNG AMERICA D.A.) with 2" or 4" barrel in 7x .22 rimfire.
Your piece appears to be the large frame (AMERICAN D.A. by the grip) in .32 S&W with a 4" barrel. The bottom of the grip has the manufacturer's name and address stamped in it - a feature found in some of the examples. While not commonly seen, the VICTOR line is not scarce or rare. Current RETAIL values range from a high of around $190 for one that would be NIB down to around $80 for a FAIR example.
IIRC, the .32 Short Colt cartridge is different from the .32 S&W LONG and may be dangerous/unsafe to shoot in your gun. I, personally would stick with the factory made .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long cartridges currently offered, any of which should be safe to use in your gun, if in safe condition to shoot.
Enjoy!
IMG_1143.jpg
Old September 9, 2011, 06:30 PM   #3
DLH1234

HR .32

thanks for the info. It's a neat little gun. I will get a box of SW .32 shorts or longs, shoot a few , clean it and put it away. It is the only "old" weapon I have. Probably deemed "unsafe" by modern standards for a couple of reasons but I'm getting back to appreciating revolvers.
Old September 9, 2011, 07:07 PM   #4
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

DLH,
You're welcome, glad to help out.
Forgot - with that s/n in the 20K range - I'm guessing your gun was made in the mid 19teens. Highest s/ns I've seen on the VICTORS have been in the 160K to 170K range.