The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 28, 2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Hansam

Idiot question, need help.

So I've been reloading my own ammo for a while now so I'm not new to it. However I've been doing so with a multi-station set up using 3 separate single stage lee loading presses.

Now I've inherited a Lee 3-hole turret press with other accessories attached. Here's the idiot question - what the heck is everything and what does it do?

I mean I've got an idea of what things are, for example the primer feed, powder charger etc. but really I need to understand this thing better and how to use it properly before I botch something.

I've included photos to show the unit in whole. Currently it has a set of .357mag dies in it but I'll be swapping those out for .223 since that's what I shoot most.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help a guy who HAS been reloading but has never worked with a turret press before.
Old October 28, 2012, 01:16 PM   #2
CrustyFN

Hard to see with the pictures sideways but it doesn't look like a turret it looks like the Pro 1000 progressive. If it has a shell plate that holds three cases instead of a single shell holder then it's the P1000. I don't have any experience with a P1000 so I won't be much help.
Old October 28, 2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Hansam

Ah yes I guess it is a Pro 1000 progressive then. Of course I still haven't got a clue how to use it. Thanks for the clarification.

I'll drill some holes on my work bench and mount the thing then take more pics. Thanks again.

Added:

Ok so I looked on Lee's website and it is definitely a Pro 1000. With the proper parts it'll load .45acp, .44mag and .223. Of course it isn't set up to load .308Win which is the fourth caliber that I shoot a lot of. I guess I'll have to keep the other presses for that.

Lee's website also makes me believe that I cannot use the dies I already have in this press so I'll have to purchase dies specifically made for this... is that correct?

It is also evident that this particular press is missing parts - and I'll do my best to replace them.

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Hansam; October 28, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old October 28, 2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

Yes, not a turret. It is the progressive

In your current processing, do you take one case and move from press to press to a complete round? (Continuous processing)

If so, you have been emulating a progressive press already except just one case/operation at a time. Your transition should be easy.

The Pro-1000 is not without its problems, but it will produce quality ammunition.

Spent primers ejected do not all fall where they are supposed to go (under the base of the press). It is possible to mask off the areas they go to direct them where they are supposed to go, though. Or you could just sweep them up later (or use a drop cloth). While you are drilling the mounting holes, you might consider drilling another through which the primers that fall under the base of the press can exit. Otherwise you will have to dismount the press to remove the collected primers. Although I read of one guy who uses a vacuum cleaner to extract the primers.

Fresh primers are gravity-fed and the last two or three often require a little more help (without the weight of more primers behind them). A "pusher" tool can be easily made from a paper clip.

Your press appears to be missing the case feed parts. No big loss, as inserting the cases into the shell plate by hand is easy enough.

223 is about the longest rifle case you will be able to load on the Pro-1000 (I am told). Lee intended the Pro-1000 for handgun rounds.

Go slow. watch each step. Stop after every stroke and verify the primer advance (as the shell plate rotates), the powder drop at the top of the ram stroke and don't forget to place a bullet on the case mouth at the proper time (easy to forget in all the watching and stroking) .

The primers feed to the primer's ram while the shell plate is rotating. If the primer did not advance all the way, it can bind up the mechanism and get turned sideways or not line up with the primer pocket. Either event will result in a crushed primer and an interruption in your progress.

I just got back from a trip, so might still be a little incoherent. I will post again if I think of anything else.

Thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep
Old October 28, 2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Lost Sheep

More stuff

Your post #3 came while I was composing #4.

Quote:
Lee's website also makes me believe that I cannot use the dies I already have in this press so I'll have to purchase dies specifically made for this... is that correct?
Standard dies will work fine. I assume your single stage presses are using standard dies.

Quote:
Ok so I looked on Lee's website and it is definitely a Pro 1000. With the proper parts it'll load .45acp, .44mag and .223. Of course it isn't set up to load .308Win which is the fourth caliber that I shoot a lot of. I guess I'll have to keep the other presses for that.
Almost every loader I know has at least one single stage press in addition to whatever other presses they own. So, you will probably keep at least one of your single stages.

You did not ask for this advice, but I will offer it because it is essentially what I did.

I never got used to monitoring multiple simultaneous operations on my two Pro-1000s (one set up for small primers and one for large). I never got very fast and once ran my powder measure to empty and had to pull 35 bullets to ensure I had no powderless cartridges or squibs.

I got a Lee Classic Turret and am much happier now.

You might be able to trade the Pro-1000 straight across for the Classic Turret (don't settle for the Deluxe Turret, though). The Classic Turret will do the .308. With the auto-indexing, it's operation will be exactly what you are doing now on your separate single-stages and you have four die stations as well.

Whether you have a Pro-1000 or a turret, get extra turret disks for it. Leaving the dies mounted in the disk makes caliber swaps very easy and on the turret almost instantaneous.

Lost Sheep
Old October 28, 2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

First, register for this forum: http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/

They have lots of info on all Lee loading products (including the Pro 1000, which is what you have there), and the members are all very friendly and helpful. (Well, except me. I try to be helpful, but I can be a curmudgeon.)

The Pro 1000 accepts standard dies, so whatever dies you now have should work. I second the advice to buy extra turrets -- that allows you to set the dies for each caliber and not have to change the setup when switching calibers.

The on-press priming mechanism is specific to large or small primers. Priming seems to be the biggest headache with those presses, so I avoid that entirely by priming with a Lee hand-held primer. On your press, that inclined flying saucer thing is the primer tray. The thingie on top is Lee's Auto Disk powder dispenser. That works well, but be sure you have the full set of disks. There should be four, and each has six (?) holes of varying diameter. You play around until you find the disk/hole that drops the right amount of powder you need. Using that you cannot dial in loads to the tenth of a grain -- I load with Winchester 231, and jumping up one hole size typically changes the charge weight by about 3/10 of a grain. Naturally, for my .45 ACP purposes that leaves me a choice between slightly under or slightly over where I want to be, but it's workable.
Old October 28, 2012, 02:37 PM   #7
hounddawg

this thread on another forum might help

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-ca...al-sticky.html
Old October 28, 2012, 04:18 PM   #8
Hansam

Quote:
In your current processing, do you take one case and move from press to press to a complete round?
Yes, I take the case from one press and move to the next to complete the process for a complete cartridge.

Quote:
You might be able to trade the Pro-1000 straight across for the Classic Turret (don't settle for the Deluxe Turret, though)
I might do that but already having single stage presses I might just keep this for quicker production of the stuff I shoot the most of, namely .223 and .45acp. I might just keep on pumping out the .308 on my single stages.

Quote:
Spent primers ejected do not all fall where they are supposed to go (under the base of the press). It is possible to mask off the areas they go to direct them where they are supposed to go, though. Or you could just sweep them up later (or use a drop cloth). While you are drilling the mounting holes, you might consider drilling another through which the primers that fall under the base of the press can exit.
I might see if I can't rig up something where the spent primers will eject then fall down a chute to a pail for collection... thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Whether you have a Pro-1000 or a turret, get extra turret disks for it. Leaving the dies mounted in the disk makes caliber swaps very easy and on the turret almost instantaneous.
Excellent suggestion! Thank you for that, I'll spend a little more money now and save time later.

Quote:
The thingie on top is Lee's Auto Disk powder dispenser. That works well, but be sure you have the full set of disks. There should be four, and each has six (?) holes of varying diameter.
I checked Lee's website and there are 4 disks - which I have so I believe I have the whole set. I'll have to see what works for me regarding what I load. Honestly I'll settle for a little below or a little above if it'll make loading .45acp and .223 quicker and easier.

Thanks everyone for all the help! I'll try and get it set up on a separate work bench since I doubt I'll be taking down my other set-up any time soon since I can't load .308 on this thing.
Old October 28, 2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

AFAIK, the only progressive press that requires special dies is Dillon's Square Deal.

You mentioned spending time on Lee's site, but did not mention if you found they have the instructions for the press here, or if you found they have quite a large array of instructional help videos, here.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 28, 2012, 05:26 PM   #10
oldpapps

"Hansam

Ah yes I guess it is a Pro 1000 progressive then. Of course I still haven't got a clue how to use it. Thanks for the clarification.

I'll drill some holes on my work bench and mount the thing then take more pics. Thanks again.
If you drill a 'primer escape' hole under the press, as primers are punched out, they can/will fall on threw. I have a plastic tube feeding them into an bottle collector.

Added:

To change heads/cartridges you will need the correct bottom plate, not expensive or difficult to get.

Yes and no. Yes - with the thew the die powder feed system. But you can work around that, so no.

It is also evident that this particular press is missing parts - and I'll do my best to replace them.

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.
"

I have and used a Pro 1000 to load 40S&W and 45s. It works very well. I have the stuff to do .223/5.56 but prefer to trim all of my brass after sizing. This kind of defeats the hole progressive thing. However, I'm thinking of doing a set up for .300 Blackout, same bottom plate.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old October 28, 2012, 11:04 PM   #11
Jimro

To reload 223 on your Pro1000 you need a resizer die, Rifle powder charge die, and a seater die.

You can buy a set of Lee RGB 223 dies and a Powder Charge Die for not much at all. I set my seater die up so it wouldn't crimp as I don't load bullets with a cannelure in 223. I've been using the RGB dies for my AR match loads, and they feed just fine in my Colt HBAR upper, and my buddies White Oak upper. Mine has a 5.56 chamber and his has a Wylde, so unless you have a very tight chamber no need for small base dies.

Go slow at first. Lee recommends running a single brass through the press at a time until you get the hang of what each station does, and how it feels.

Jimro
Old October 29, 2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Sevens

Please make sure you follow the link provided by unclenick and download the instructions. You will need these for tips on how to take apart the shell plate carrier, which is pretty much the "brains" of this press. You need to take the carrier off and remove the shell plate and clean & lube it if that press has been sitting for a good long while. These are things you'll need to do if you wish to change calibers, too.

The instructions will tell you how to install the shell plate properly and how to adjust the indexing. The guts of the indexing on this press are NYLON gears and if you ding them up, they won't work again. Not to worry-- they will last for high volume as long as you haven't wrecked them by goofing with the press while it's mal-adjusted.