The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 1, 2011, 08:40 PM   #1
shooter43

hunters course

Where would I find a place to take a hunters safety course? I want to get my hunters license but im not sure if any outdoors stores offer them or if I need to pay to get in one or not, but nevertheless, Im 16 and i need my hunting license.
Old February 1, 2011, 08:42 PM   #2
zoomie

Go to your state game and fish website and look around there. I'd help you out, but your profile doesn't list a location.
Old February 1, 2011, 08:42 PM   #3
hoytinak

Get with your state's Parks and Wildlife, they should have a list of intructors in your area.
Old February 1, 2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Granted that this is a training forum, but I think this one's more appropriate for The Hunt.

Moving.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 1, 2011, 09:39 PM   #5
zoomie

Florida... here's your answer.

http://myfwc.com/SAFETY/Safety_Hunt_Safety_index.htm

Notice the one-year exemption if you're hunting with someone over 21. Might buy you a little time before you have to get the class done.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Doyle

I just helped my buddy at work select a course today. I'll tell you what I told him. Jump on the courses right NOW and register. If you wait until next month, most of the ones on the FWC website will be filled and closed to new applicants. Fl has a problem in that it requires a hunter safety course for all hunters born after a certain date, but it doesn't provide proper funding for teaching the course. Therefore, the availability of the course is VERY SCARCE.
Old February 1, 2011, 11:22 PM   #7
shortwave

Forgive me if this was covered in the site zoomie suggested. Didn't check it.

But... check to see if Fla. offers doing the study part of the hunter safety course 'online'. Many states offer this. You then just go to specified testing sights to take the test.
Old February 2, 2011, 08:16 AM   #8
Doyle

Quote:
But... check to see if Fla. offers doing the study part of the hunter safety course 'online'. Many states offer this. You then just go to specified testing sights to take the test.
The vast majority of the HSCs offered in FL are split classes. The traditional 2-day course costs the state more money so they are using the internet as a means to continue the classes without cramping the budget. The on-site completion class usually starts pretty early on a Saturday morning and gets out mid-afternoon.
Old February 2, 2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Doyle

One more thing. Since you are 16, you'll need a signed permission slip from one of your parents.
Old February 2, 2011, 09:07 AM   #10
YARDDOG(1)

On a positive note, It's FREE & you'll get to go to a range and get to shoot a 22 & a 12g. Good luck, shoot safe & make coppies of certificate, It's also good for your CWLP ; Y/D
Old February 2, 2011, 01:22 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
On a positive note, It's FREE & you'll get to go to a range and get to shoot a 22 & a 12g.
That's good to hear.

Back when I took my course, it was $58 for 8 weeks (one evening meeting time per week), and we had to 'buy' the range time on qualification day (which happened to be 4 degrees F). (Obviously not Florida)
Old February 3, 2011, 01:28 PM   #12
langenc

Fl has a problem in that it requires a hunter safety course for all hunters born after a certain date, but it doesn't provide proper funding for teaching the course.

MI dont provide funding for the instructors. It does supply some texts. Clubs step up and do the teaching, ours at no cost. We even throw in a really nice lunch, each day. Some clubs charge $10 and that dont usually inc lunch. Lauch may be provided for another $$-dogs, burgers etc.
Old February 3, 2011, 02:09 PM   #13
Pahoo

Iowa as well as others states, requires that one attend a Hunter Safety class, in order to obtain a hunting license. Most states feel they have an obligation to provide this training. Some financial support is provided by the state and Pitman Robertson act. All instructors are volunteers and various conservation groups, provide the classroom and ranges, for live fire. Most of our classes are free and even lunch is provided. Even though it may be minimal, most states do provide financial and logistic support. Personally, as a hunter safety instructor, I don't expect or want any financial compensation. Most instructors feel as I do. ....
Could out state do more? Absolutely.
I could be misinformed but I understand that Wisconsin buys the student's, "first" hunting lincense. .....
Might add that our state classes are posted on the IADNR website. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 3, 2011, 03:32 PM   #14
Doyle

I went ahead and took the FL course even though I was exempt. There is a county-owned park near me that allows some limited hunting but it requres a HSC for all users. Because I was already an experienced hunter (and a really good test taker), I finished the written exam in about 5 minutes while everyone else was still on the first page. While we were waitiing for the others, the 2 instructors and I just talked. They recognized what I knew and asked me to get involved as an instructor.

I would love to do that, but my work schedule just wouldn't allow it. I've got about 8 years before I can start thinking of retiring. After I retire, I fully intend to go get my HSC instructor certification. True, the volunteers are unpaid but I figure that it would be an enjoyable way to spend my retirement time.
Old February 3, 2011, 04:02 PM   #15
Pahoo

Quote:
There is a county-owned park near me that allows some limited hunting but it requres a HSC for all users.
This is very common across the country where city and county governments are trying to control deer populations. They charge hunters to come in and take care of "their" problems and then complain about residences seeing blood trails on fresh fallen snow. ....

Quote:
I would love to do that,
if so, there is really no good reason to wait. I say this because there really isn't that much of a time commitment that you have to make. It's not so much about what you know, although it helps, it's more about what you are willing to give. Most of the instructors that i work with are just about the nicest bunch of guys you could find. The main reason I got started 21 yrs. ago was that I wanted to give something back. I was too much into taking and not giving, in my early years. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 3, 2011, 04:18 PM   #16
Pahoo

shooter43
Here is a sight for your state, that you might find of some interest. ....
https://public.myfwc.com/hgm/huntersafety/clsmap.aspx

I have also included a site where you can find information the rest of the USA as welll as Canada. You can take this on-line course and test. You need to go in and review each state's requirements. ....
http://www.huntercourse.com/

Be Safe !!!