The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 18, 2001, 05:21 AM   #1
KPS

Normal for punches to bend?

I just received a Masen punch and hammer set from Brownwells and after disassembling my 1911 and putting it back together, the punches have bent.Is this normal?
Old September 18, 2001, 02:11 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you find a punch that does not bend, let me know. The best are the kind with a short pin set in a longer body.

BUT, I can't think of any pin on a M1911 type that would be so tight that a punch would bend. The only pin taken out in normal disassembly that even requires a punch is the mainspring housing pin, and it should come out with a tap or even with just hand pressure. What were you trying to do with the punch?

Jim
Old September 18, 2001, 04:00 PM   #3
KPS

I needed a little tap to remove the sear/disconnector pin and the hammer pin on my Systema Colt.I'm sure with a newer gun I wouldn't have had any trouble.To my surprise I found alot of sand and grit on the sear spring and in the mainspring housing.I was shocked because I've put over 400 round befor taking it apart and it has performed flawlessly.
Old September 18, 2001, 04:55 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Wow....my experience has been similar to Jim's. Had buckets of 1911s and so far haven't run into a pin THAT tight.

Corrosion ?

Sam
Old September 18, 2001, 06:58 PM   #5
Ed Brunner

Lets see, do they come out left or right???
I too havenever needed a punch for that, but who knows?

UNTIL IT'S OVER!

Ed
Old September 19, 2001, 12:49 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, guys,

I think I know the problem. Normally those pins are loose enough that they would come out if not for the safety.

However, my Argentine Colt (not Sistema) came with the sear pin in wrong, with the head on the right side. They could have had some idiot putting the guns together after refinishing and he did a bunch that way. If KPS's gun was that way and he tried to drive the pin out from the right, he was driving the head through from the wrong side, and could have bent a punch.

KPS, if the above was the case, please get a new pin and install it properly from the left side. I hope you have not enlarged the hole or you may have to have a new pin made and fitted. You may have broken the sear also, so check that out.

Jim
Old September 19, 2001, 03:29 PM   #7
Rottweiler

I always just figured a punch was a sacrificial tool, better to bend a cheap punch than seriously maul an more expensive part.
Old September 19, 2001, 10:37 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Rottweiler,

If you are bending a punch, chances are fair that some damage is already done to what is being punched.

With some experience, it becomes easier to tell when a pin is very tight or rusted in and needs muscle, and when you are doing something wrong. The pins in question should never require that kind of muscle.

(An example of how bad things happen is the Ruger standard model automatic trigger pin. A lot of DIY types and even a few gunsmiths applied the big hammer and bent the frame before finding out that the pin is held in by an e-ring on the inside.)

Jim
Old September 24, 2001, 11:40 AM   #9
Bill n AK

Yaa Jim
If you have inlaged the hole in the frame, you can drill out the frame oversised- but- the hardened parts may call for jig grinding ? You dont want to go there, good luck --Bill