The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 22, 2001, 11:20 AM   #1
AC's & 45's

Short shotgun barrel

I just purchased a new 18" barrel direct from Remington. None of the supply houses I contacted could even get me one. So they all said. I didn't want to cut my full lenght barrel fo a number of reasons. The Mossberg replacement 870 barrels don't match the Remington's finish.

I am happy now.

I think understand the NFA 18" minimunm barrel length and the 26" overall length requirement.

What I don't understand is how the barrel length is determined.
Old June 22, 2001, 01:35 PM   #2
Bud1

Barrel length is measured from the face of the closed bolt to the distal end of the barrel.
Old June 22, 2001, 05:19 PM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Bud is correct. The method is to clear the SG, close the action, insert a rod or dowell, mark where the end of the barrel is, pull the rod out and measure.

Giz
Old June 23, 2001, 01:07 AM   #4
PreserveFreedom

In other words, it includes the chamber. That's one thing I have heard a bunch of people argue about in the past. They try telling you that you have to add the cartridge length to the 18" to be legal. If that was the case, you could have a perfectly legal shotgun that was illegal with magnums.