The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 21, 2009, 02:47 PM   #1
sneaky pete

5.7X28 Uppers for the AR platform???

old Sneaky Pete here: I'd apperciate any commentary -good or bad about the 5.7X28 uppers availiable for the AR lowers. Sounds kind of interesting and as I just bought the wife a really expensive digital camera It's my turn for a new toy. and how would it be on ferral hog pests tearing up your pastures?? THANX in advance--SNEAKY
Old August 21, 2009, 02:52 PM   #2
csmsss

I guess I'm not understanding the purpose of this. The 5.7 ballistics are inferior to 5.56 NATO, and the ammo choices limited and expensive.
Old August 21, 2009, 04:36 PM   #3
azredhawk44

Sneaky:

One of the cooler features I'm noticing of them... they offer quite a bit higher mag capacity due to the top-feeding 50 round magazine. And they eject down the mag well.

Imagine taking a 30 round traditional AR mag, cutting the feed lips off and removing the spring and follower. Built in brass catcher.

Whether for fomenting the revolution or just for convenience at the range, that's kinda cool.

The heavier offerings in 5.7x25 are subsonic. Perfect for a silenced SBR platform.
Old August 21, 2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Kmar40

Quote:
I guess I'm not understanding the purpose of this. The 5.7 ballistics are inferior to 5.56 NATO, and the ammo choices limited and expensive.
There is no purpose for it. It just sounds cool to Counterstrike Commandos.
Old August 21, 2009, 08:29 PM   #5
TheManHimself

Quote:
There is no purpose for it. It just sounds cool to Counterstrike Commandos.
Untrue - at least for the subgun crowd.

There are many legally registered selective fire AR15/M16 lowers on the market.

Most of the modern small-caliber subguns, on the other hand, such as the P90, MP7, etc. are unavailable except as post-86 dealer samples.
Old August 21, 2009, 08:30 PM   #6
seant

I would consider it as a reasonable mall ninja accesory.
Old August 22, 2009, 12:15 AM   #7
olyinaz

Some of the replies the OP got were pretty rude and I find that sad given what this forum is supposed to be for. Since when do any of us need some kind of reason for wanting a gun or particular caliber? Huh?? UFB! Sounds like the same garbage I get from the gun haters on my block, "Why do you need a gun like that?" I don't need a Rolex watch but if I want one I'll bloody well GET one! Same daggum thing goes for any particular firearm I can legally buy.

At any rate, I was actually looking at these at a local shop today and to actually answer the OP's question (what a concept...) the downsides I see are these: 1) Cost. The dang things are expensive. So much so that I can buy a basic M4-style carbine for about the same price. Same problem with ammo. 2) Reloading the ammo sounds like a nightmare but I dunno for sure because I've not tried it. 3) The performance of the round doesn't light my hair on fire.

Upside? It looks like a heckuva lot of fun to shoot!

It's your money. If you want one...

Best,
Oly
Old August 22, 2009, 06:39 AM   #8
Mike40-11

I think it would be an interesting little rifle. Tiny little recoil, 50 round mags, a somewhat unique cartridge, it just looks neat.

That said, I don't know if it's quite neat enough given the cost of the upper and the ammo. Fun, but I don't think I'd spend the money. Then again, I keep looking at the .50 Beowulf uppers and I have absolutely no earthly idea what I'd do with that.

Last edited by Mike40-11; August 22, 2009 at 06:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old August 22, 2009, 05:27 PM   #9
CraigC

It's an interesting concept and I think it would be a lot of fun to shoot but I really don't think the 5.7 is an appropriate cartridge for feral hogs. Unless you're shooting piglets to roast. It would work wonderfully on predators up to fox and coyote as well as rodents and the handy-dandy magwell ejection makes for easy brass retrieval for the handloader.
Old August 22, 2009, 05:38 PM   #10
DBAR

I've always considered getting one of those uppers, even before they where in production. I remember when they where just an idea. I may have to get one of those for my SBR. That would be kind of cool.... I guess some of you guys would have to then call me a "Mall Ninja". Granted, I'd be a heavily armed "Mall Ninja", and you'd being doing so at your own risk.

DBAR
Old August 22, 2009, 06:43 PM   #11
jammin1237

a very cool upper...i have been thinking about this round for some time, the only down side is the cost and availability of ammo...

upsides in my opinion... the ballistics are slightly more than the .22 wmr, but in a center fire cartrige allowing you to reload and or make custom loads... you can also purchase a pistol in that caliber, and the fact that it holds 50 rounds in a compact format that expends used brass right out the bottom is a big plus...

if i had more room in the gun safe, i would already have one!

get one

cheers
Old August 23, 2009, 09:29 PM   #12
ranger dave

you have it all wrong

the 5.7 round is not as powerful as the 5.56 this is true but. i can get 50 rounds for $ 18 thats alot cheaper then. most comm. 223 at this time its cheap to reload . and most people dont fire there 16 inch ar's past 100 yards my 5.7 is good to 150 yards and its fun as hell. i use a old ar mag as a brass catcher. and as a sub gun its great
Old August 23, 2009, 09:41 PM   #13
xtremehunter83

+1 on what ranger dave said, also the price of the uppers in 5.7 seem to be coming down and making them more reasonably priced
Old August 23, 2009, 11:54 PM   #14
Dikran Yacoubian

I'd say its worth it just for the novelty. I was hesitant at first, but the PS90 has ended up near the top of my "fun gun" scale.

-- Dikran Yacoubian
Columbia, SC
Old August 24, 2009, 12:14 AM   #15
Skan21

Can't say i would buy one, but it would probably be a kick a** woodchuck round. Probably be good for possum and prairie dogs too, but there's no prairie dogs up here.

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 24, 2009, 02:07 PM   #16
sneaky pete

I just had a "Scarry" thought

old Sneaky Pete here: I was just going back over the posts and saw in TheManHinself's post the mention of "subgun" and I had a "brainfa**". Anyone remember those devices that you could put on your trigger-guard that caused what seemed like full auto fire--BUT because the trigger was actually being pulled back faster then you could do it it was by BATF definition NOT a machine gun-beause there was an actual triger-pull for each round fired. Now think of that 5.7-50 round magazine and one of those bolt-on devices???? Sounds like that might be lot of fun??? I guess that this might be considered a great "Mall Ninja" gun. I think that I have been eating too much chocolate lately. THANX--SNEAKY
Old August 25, 2009, 08:19 PM   #17
Recoiljunkie44

Love the fact it is bottom eject and always been a big fan of having pistols and rifle in the same cartridge so why not its not like FN produces anything that would ever be considered junk although some more adaptable then others! If i had the money id go for it

Walt: " well you know,I prayed for them to come
but no one answered"
Old August 25, 2009, 08:35 PM   #18
ranger dave

class 3

there are a ton of class 3 m16 out there that with an upper change you hav a full auto 5.7
Old August 26, 2009, 07:20 AM   #19
sneaky pete

BUT then under tne watchful eye of the BATF

old Sneaky Pete here: Oh my Ranger Dave I seriously do NOT have any desire to give the BATF an excuse to be looking over my shoulder by being a registered class-3 owner. Wth that device I could instal it or remove it at my choice and the BATF would never know. Secondly the device in the $30 range. THANX--SNEAKY
Old August 26, 2009, 09:42 AM   #20
smee78

If they made a 22lr version I would be all over it. Even 25acp would be fun as a range gun.
Old August 26, 2009, 10:39 PM   #21
ranger dave

true

thats true pete but i got a class 3 collection when my grandfather passed so i feel its my duty to keep the atf bussy doing paper work for my guns and maybe just maybe they will run out of money and close up shop lol
Old August 31, 2009, 11:59 AM   #22
illbfrank

The device is called a BMF Activator...it's a crank that mounts in the trigger guard...one crank = 4 rounds downrange.
Old August 31, 2009, 12:00 PM   #23
illbfrank

cost about 20 bucks and is available at Midway, Cabelas, and other outlets.