The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 10, 2013, 02:07 PM   #1
sounion

Need an ID on this rifle

new to the forums!

Was looking to get an ID for this rifle I came across. Has good markings. "Harpers Ferry" behind the hammer. "JCB" on the muzzle. American Eagle stamped in from of the hammer. "P" carved into the stalk. "1852" below "Harpers Ferry".

Basically, I want to know what kind of rifle this is, anything that might be interesting about it (with Harpers Ferry printed on the side, it's history could be really interesting!), and if possible, what it might cost?

By the way, my knowledge of guns and rifles is supremely limited, so I may not know what I am talking about hehe.

Thanks in advance!

Old February 10, 2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Harper's Ferry 1852 lock and patchbox point to a model of 1841, the "Mississippi Rifle." It was produced from 1841 until 1855.

Original caliber was .54, some were rebored to .58 for common ammunition with the 1855 and later rifles and rifle muskets. Others, especially in the South, stayed .54 and they made Minie balls for them.

Show pictures at full length, its desirability depends on its originality. If the barrel and stock have been shortened, its value is much less.
If it was upgraded in service by reboring or adding bayonet lug or better sights, it would be of interest but not much lower or higher in dollar value.

The large P on the stock is not an official government marking, likely the soldier or some owner after it was surplused.
Old February 10, 2013, 05:42 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I thought those had sling swivels on the trigger guard; I think it has been removed. And evidently a previous owner was using it as a shotgun, so it might have been reamed to smoothbore as well.

Jim
Old February 10, 2013, 08:24 PM   #4
sounion

Thanks for your swift reply!

So you think this has been converted to a shotgun?

What would the "JCB" on the rifle be?

I will work on getting a full length picture for you guys. I'll also try to get a photo of the muzzle as it may give hints to the bayonet attachment...
Old February 10, 2013, 09:24 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I found a couple of inspectors with the initials JCB, but not at the right place or the right time period. Maybe someone else has a more extensive list.

The reason for the question on the bayonet lug is that those rifles originally had none, but some had them added when they were converted to .58 caliber to use as standard muskets.

Jim
Old February 22, 2013, 05:29 PM   #6
sounion

Okay, I got a full length photo. Will try and snag other photos as you might need them.

Anything learned from this photo?
Old February 22, 2013, 06:03 PM   #7
Jim Watson

At a minimum the stock has been cut off to "sporterize" a Mississippi rifle.
It may have had the rifling reamed out for use as a shotgun.

Dollar value is much less than if it had not been altered.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:01 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Makes me want to cry, but I guess someone back when needed a shotgun more than he needed and old rifle.

Jim