The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2005, 05:24 PM   #1
BigSlick

Once fired brass and the Glock

Hi guys,

What a place looks like some of you guys have it as bad as I do.

It's nice to find a place where you can discuss the minutia of reloading with someone who actually doesn't roll their eyes when the subject comes up.

OK, first question.

I want to reload 40 S&W for my 23. I have looked all over for a decent batch of once fired brass. Lot's of once fired brass out there, but I am a little concerned about reloading brass that has been shot thru a Glock due to the factory barrel not fully supporting the case.

I have read many posts here about the topic. Seems that some of you do reload brass shot from factory barrels, others have replaced their barrels.

I will be replacing the factory barrel with a good aftermarket in the next week or so. My dilemma has been where to find a good quantity of once fired brass that doesn't have a bunch of bulged cases in the mix.

Most of the local shows have 40 once fired by the boat loads. Upon examination, at best, the mfr mix is all over the place, many have bulged case heads and in reality, probably 20% would end up in the trash after sorting.

As a last resort I can buy virgin, but that really increases the cost of reloads. I know it is the only sure way to know a history of a batch, but damn, surely not everyone who shoots a 40 uses a factory Glock barrel.

Any sources for once fired without a ton of rejects included in every bag ?

I plan on using Hornady 180 JHP's, Titegroup and Winchester primers. I am trying to keep my powder to one or two unless/until I find a spectacular load. At this point Titegroup gets the nod for economy and clean burning. I may go to an AA #5 or 7 or ?? as experimentation dictates.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

BigSlick
Old January 25, 2005, 08:48 PM   #2
Jailbirdwatcher

It is highly recommended that one not fire reloaded brass in 40 cal Glocks. At least not brass that has been fired in a Glock Pistol. Something about an unsupported area in the chamber area. Handloaded ammunition in new brass is ok. I recently sold my model 27 for this reason. There are websites that have pictures of Glock 40 cal KB'S. Pretty scary! I carry a 1911 in 45 ACP now.
Old January 25, 2005, 08:52 PM   #3
HSMITH

Reload the brass from the factory barrel and shoot it in the factory barrel. When sorting throw out any big bulges and keep the rest. It isn't 1/1000th as big a deal as it is made out to be.

If it makes you feel better just throw it out after 2 or 3 loadings, 40 brass is nearly free anyway. The only reason for an aftermarket barrel is for shooting lead bullets or trying to get the Nth degree of accuracy out of a Glock.
Old January 25, 2005, 11:56 PM   #4
Nnobby45

I agree with Smith, and also, bulged cases in fired .40's aren't exclusive to Glock pistols.
Old January 27, 2005, 03:05 AM   #5
Tim R

I think there is too much Hype with reloading for Glocks. Many of us have reloaded 40 without an after market barrel. I reload for my G-35 and it's stock Glock barrel without problems. I use RCBS carbides and have not found the need to use a Lee FDC.

I also believe MOST reloaders who do run into problems try to make the 40 something it is not. I don't use max loads, but I don't do this on any thing I load for anyways. If a guy keeps his head in the daylight, I don't think it's any more tricky than any other pistol.

I do know a guy who has had problems with 2 Glocks. He was taught to go right to the max load without working up. First one went away after not making sure his powder throw was completely empty of a fast buring powder when he switched calibers. It cost him a new frame.

The second one costs him $30.00 + in parts when he loaded right at max. There is some variation in the throw to start with and I don't think he left any margine for error. I know I stop working up when I find things good enough and have not come even close to max loads, I mean if it ain't fun why go up any more. I have since reenforced the idea that you have to work up loads with the guy.

Power Pistol seems to work pretty good in 40. You might find problem with Win primers as there seems to be a QC problem with the new brass colored primers. I use CCI and have not had any problems with the Glock liking them.
Old January 27, 2005, 07:57 AM   #6
Austin Charles

Load the 40

I have loaded thousands of 40 and as long as you stay in the book you'll be fine.

I have seen a KB with factory ammo. Never reloaded so as I said stay a little down from max and load away.

I get my brass from Brass Man.

I like Montana Gold JHP 165 for my 27 & 23.

Just use your head and check your brass, I have right now on 1000 cases ( 8 ) times fired in the 40 and i'm going untill I see some signs

I have fired max and powder puffs out of these 1000 cases. I have found (3) that have had small splits. So I tossed them. These came in the 3-4 reload, have not seen anymore over preasure signs yet.

Winchester 231 and Power Pistol,WSF and VV I like the best in 40. I hate Unique for anything :barf:

Now get to reloading, spring is almost here
Old January 27, 2005, 09:18 AM   #7
N.H. Yankee

I bought a bag of 2000 once fired range brass and got them home only to discover that nice Glock primer swipe and when I measured the cases 75% were way over usuable spec and some had a bulge at the web near the point of KABOOM. I ended up heaving all of them, and now just buy new 40 brass for my 40's, as I do not shoot a nonsupported 40 so I can reuse my brass. That is the 1 downfall of the Glock 40's and from what I've heard the 45's are also unsupported, only the 9mm Glocks from what I'm told are suppoerted. You are making a wise decision getting an aftermarket barrel, it would be wise to assure the new barrel has a supported chamber. I gave up on used 40S&W brass as there is so much waste in throwaways and time invested sorting the brass I just get new from midway, midway also sells once fired range brass in volume.
Old January 27, 2005, 11:00 AM   #8
Jeeper

There are a lot of competitive shooter using 40 in their golcks and shooting once fired brass. They shoot more rounds in a month than most weekend warriors do in a year. What is the difference? They dont load stupidly to the max just to be macho. Load in a normal range and you will be fine.
Old January 27, 2005, 12:25 PM   #9
Trini

Reloading

I have fired many K's of 40 S&W using brass that was fired in Glock's... Have never had a problem.. At the clubs I shoot IPSC at many of the shooters use the range brass that is picked up... Have never known of anyone's gun going KB.. Just remember to stay within the range listed in the loading books.. If you get info from another shooter, always start about 10% below what they tell you and work up to a load that works for you..

Good luck and keep on shooting...

T
Old January 27, 2005, 07:44 PM   #10
N.H. Yankee

The brass I received was once fired LEO brass and not reloaded. Most were Speer marked and I dont know if Speer may have a problem with weak brass but the ones I got were TRASH!
Old April 17, 2005, 01:20 PM   #11
michiglock

I have several friends who shoot Glocks in .40 and reload for them using their own spent brass, they shoot several thousand rounds each. I just bought a Dillon 650 and am waiting for components. No after market barrels