The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 16, 2012, 11:36 AM   #1
ridin dirty

scope wont fit the ruger all american?

i just read good reviews about this gun, contacted a local gun shop hes not selling until the end of the month. happened to be at Dicks sporting goods they had the rifle but they didnt have a scope on hand to fit the mounts, is there only special scopes that fit this rifle.
Old September 16, 2012, 12:04 PM   #2
jmr40

The rifle comes with Weaver "style" bases. Any Weaver, or Weaver type rings will fit. You should be able to put ANY scope on the rifle if you match the scope to the rings. Rings come in different heights, with scopes with a large front objective you need higher rings to make room for the scope.

In rare cases you will find some scopes will need special extension rings to work, but I cannot imagine a problem with the Ruger American.
Old September 16, 2012, 12:27 PM   #3
ridin dirty

i first wanted the bushnell tropy, then tried the pro staff 3x9x40, both scopes closer to $200, i wanted a good scope for this gun. i am fairly new to this, the scope rings that fit into the notched mount on the gun were so far apart that the ring in front was hitting on the flared part of both scopes not on round barrel of scope. any suggestions? i know i dont have a clue but is it possible the person at dicks didnt have a clue either?
Old September 16, 2012, 12:40 PM   #4
big al hunter

You just need a longer scope. Measure the mount rings outside to outside while mounted on the rifle. Check the scope measurement before purchasing. You will find one that fits.
Old September 16, 2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Hawg

Yep, just need a scope with a longer tube.
Old September 16, 2012, 01:31 PM   #6
tahunua001

or you could get something like this

the ruger american should have the same scope base as the M77
Old September 16, 2012, 01:52 PM   #7
PetahW

You can use the scope you want/have, w/o buying a longer scope.

A Weaver extension ring (or two), will place the ring the width of the ring away from the end(s).

Just ensure the extension ring you buy is the same height as the other ring; or buy as a ringset.

Go to www.swfa.com

Old September 16, 2012, 04:08 PM   #8
ridin dirty

thanks for all the info. after you figure in the , scope, mounts, and adapters, probably putting me at close to $700 for the package, Howa, has a target master 308, scope, combination for $789. i'm thinking the Howa, any suggestions on that.
Old September 16, 2012, 04:22 PM   #9
warbirdlover

The NIkon Prostaff would be far better then what comes on the Howa I'm betting.
Old September 16, 2012, 04:25 PM   #10
jmr40

A longer scope would fit, or just buy extension rings.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...XTENSION-RINGS

Looking at the American I have a hard time believing you'd have a hard time making almost any scope work. A long action Savage is the only gun I've ever had the slightest problem with.

I could be wrong, but my 1st thought is that the guy at Dick's was clueless. I still think either of those scopes should work with standard rings. Neither is an especially short tubed scope.
Old September 17, 2012, 02:53 PM   #11
jmr40

Found the solution to your problem.

I took a close look at a Ruger American today. The bases have the slots for the scope pases on one end of the bases. By simply taking 1 or both bases loose and turning them around you can vary the distace between the rings greatly. They are mounted on the gun from the factory with the slots as far away as possible.
Old September 17, 2012, 03:33 PM   #12
hooligan1

Nikko Sterling scopes are what comes on the Howa's there Warbird. His problem was most likely ring spread.
Old September 17, 2012, 04:31 PM   #13
bamaranger

nope

The Ruger 77 and the All American do not take the same rings/bases.
Old September 17, 2012, 05:53 PM   #14
jmr40

Quote:
thanks for all the info. after you figure in the , scope, mounts, and adapters, probably putting me at close to $700 for the package, Howa, has a target master 308, scope, combination for $789. i'm thinking the Howa, any suggestions on that.
A Ruger American will be $350ish. It comes with bases so you need rings, about $20. A Nikon Prostaff is somewhere between $150-$200, haven't priced them lately a you'd be no more than $570 into the Ruger with a Nikon scope.

Quote:
The NIkon Prostaff would be far better then what comes on the Howa I'm betting.
While the Prostaff is near the bottom of what I'd suggest, it will work, and is a far better choice than what comes on the Howa. There are better scopes, for only a little more money, but the Prostaff is a solid choice and better than the Bushnell or Nikko Serling. Not a bad choice at all for a $350 rifle.

Between the Ruger and Howa. The Howa has been around for a while and has a solid repuation. They are well made guns using traditional methods and consruction if that is important. They are the heaviest of all actions and made in Japan.

The Ruger is a newcomer using new, unproven methods and materials. Some would call them shortcuts to save money and make more profits. They are very lightweight. A Ruger will be close to 2 lbs lighter than a comparable Howa if the Howa comes in a Hogue stock.

The Howa is a safer bet if you don't mind a heavier gun. It will also be more expensive, especially since you will replace the cheaper scope eventually. For my money I'd gamble on the new Ruger design if I wanted a budget gun. I like that it is USA made and Ruger has a reputation of building good guns, even their budget models. The weight is a huge selling point for me, maybe not for others. Ruger advertises 6 1/8 lb in 308. The Howa I used to own was just under 8.
Old September 17, 2012, 06:15 PM   #15
Mobuck

There are plenty of GOOD $100-150 scopes on the market. Unless you really like the Ruger American, I'd look hard at the Howa. There are many options for fitting scopes to rifles properly and Brownells or Midway have a wide selection.
Old September 17, 2012, 06:55 PM   #16
hooligan1

I handled the Ruger American, a week or to ago, and I would have to agree about it being lighter than a Howa,,, for sure,.... and only time will tell if it's cheap....
Old September 18, 2012, 12:30 AM   #17
ridin dirty

jmr40
your right about the bases, dicks did even turn them but wasnt sure about the front one being turned, thought it might interfere withbolt action/shell discharge. the gun is on hold for me, ill go back and have them turn the bases and mount the scope. there are different height scope rings do i go for the high ones or low ones. thanks again for evryones help. if the switching works i like the Bushnell Trophy XLT 4-12x40 DOA Reticle Rifle Scope, it was $199.
Old September 18, 2012, 12:40 AM   #18
ridin dirty

the Howa Legacy Targetmaster has the Nikko Stirling 4-16x44 with a 30mm tube. being new to hunting, i like to read the reviews from the end users not so much the magazines which is why i like everyones input, you've probably used it didnt like it, great, saves me money i like it. ill go with the ruger after all its american made.
Old September 18, 2012, 07:20 PM   #19
tahunua001

the height of the rings is goign to depend totally on you. you need to be able to rest your cheek on the buttstock and instantly be able to pick up the crosshairs, if you have to mash your face into the rifle then you need higher rings, if you have to rest your chin on the buttstock or completely lift your face from it then you need lower ones.
Old September 19, 2012, 05:18 AM   #20
Picher

I held a Ruger American and thought it was pretty good, but didn't like the forend grooves/ridges. After trying a Tikka T3 Lite, I decided the Ruger wasn't for me.
Old September 19, 2012, 07:02 PM   #21
Metal god

jmr40

Hey , just wanted to ask what specific things your talking about that were short cuts and unproven
Quote:
using new, unproven methods and materials. Some would call them shortcuts
. I just want to know what to look out for . I sure would hate for my 6 month old rifle to just up and fall apart on me . Right now my american shoots 3/4 MOA with off the shelf ammo .

I only have about 200 rounds through it so my gues is its just now starting to settle in . so there is still a chance it will fail soon .

All kidding aside seing how I own one .I really would like to know more of what you have heard and or know about the manufacturing process of the Ruger American rifle

Here is my review On the rifle http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492169

Last edited by Metal god; September 19, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old October 5, 2012, 06:45 PM   #22
ngzcaz

Good to see the results. I just bought one in .270 for my son. He got the Leupold VX-2. I'm going to set it up before he gets it. Sure would be nice if I can take a target like that along with the rifle..
Old October 5, 2012, 06:46 PM   #23
ngzcaz

subscribing to post...
Old October 6, 2012, 06:51 AM   #24
Kreyzhorse

Off set rings or even a mounting rail will solve the issue. I recently had to install a rail on my Savage 110 after switching to a shorter scope and off set rings wouldn't work.

Not a big deal at all.
Old October 7, 2012, 08:32 PM   #25
Grayson

Had the same problem mounting a Burris E1. Simply take the front base off and turn it 180 degrees. This will solve your problem.