The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 4, 2012, 06:22 AM   #1
Shotgal

Shooting Laws in WV?

I've searched all over the place online and cannot figure out where it is legal to discharge a firearm in WV.

We moved here from California a year ago where there are very strict laws - like you cannot shoot even one shot at all/anywhere in L.A. County for instance.
Our property is about 2/3 of an acre - but in a residential neighborhood so we wouldn't even consider shooting around here.

There are places in West Virginia that have public gun ranges - http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/SRanges.shtm
But they are not anywhere near where we live, and there are some nightmare stories about wackos hanging around them.

We would join a gun range, but we're not going to stay in WV very much longer, and none of them seem to have a daily fee rate.

We are first time gun owners - just a 22 pistol for plinking - no hunting or anything - and just wondering if we go out in the sticks some place and shoot it a bit if that's legal?

Anyone have WV specific knowledge and hopefully an online link to the laws on shooting?
Old August 4, 2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Dave P

I say start with your county ordinances - most are online. Then look at state ordinances. Call your local gun shop. Talk to your neighbors ...
Old August 4, 2012, 07:16 PM   #3
hermannr

You can check www.opencarry.org/wv.html and www.handgunlaw.us. You could also go to the state specific forum on oepncarry.org and ask there. I do know there is a WV gun org on the net but I do not have the link...WV gun owners or something like that.

WV is an unlicensed Open Carry state, so you can assume most of the gun laws are fairly reasonable. Both of the links I gave you have links to the state law.

However! In almost every state, actual Discharge of a firearm (other than in SD) is left up to the local government. If you live in a county, look up the county law (probably isn't anything), if you live inside city/town limits, look in the city/town laws...you probably Will find something in the city or town code.
Old August 4, 2012, 09:00 PM   #4
wally626

i do not know the WV laws but in VA shooting on private land is lightly regulated except in the cities and more populus counties. Shooting on public land is highly regulated. You can only shoot, except in self defence, while hunting or on designated ranges. As was stated above the local county or city ordinces would cover discharge of weapons, many places probably have no rule at all in regards to private land. Your best bet would be to find a friend with enough land to allow for shooting, private clubs or public ranges.

Edit to add:

http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/laws.shtm

Lists the hunting laws/regs which are similar to VA. No carrying of guns during the off-season, except permit holders. So it looks like general target shooting on public lands is not allowed.

Last edited by wally626; August 4, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old August 5, 2012, 08:01 AM   #5
Shotgal

Thanks for all the replies, we'll check with the locals then - as well as the open carry forum/WV are which also looks helpful.