The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 26, 2009, 10:53 PM   #1
attila787

feeder advice

Well I scored a deer lease an hour 1/2 away from home. I need to buy a feeder and I was thinking about buying one of these 6 ft. feeders specifically:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0050113228816a.shtml

You guys see anything wrong with buying a 6ft feeder? I'll admit I'm short and want to make my life easy out there.

Also if you guys can point me to a place for some good prices on feeders. I found the same one mentioned above on the wal-mart site for 94.00 bucks...not bad.
Old April 27, 2009, 05:10 AM   #2
bswiv

Just looking at it I am wondering............if you have bears or overly active hogs in the area it could end up tipped over...?

As for the brand I have one of their fish feeders out on the dock. It's been there for a couple of years. Works well.............
Old April 27, 2009, 09:48 PM   #3
attila787

Well we don't have bears here in south/central Texas, but I don't see how a Hog could knock this down because if they could they would be able to knock the taller ones.
Old April 27, 2009, 10:01 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Hogs can just break them trying to over turn them. The taller ones have thicker legs and wider base size. But if you get it and they damage it, you can build it back stronger.
Brent
Old April 27, 2009, 10:29 PM   #5
kyle1974

pigs will hammer and destroy that feeder.

coons will crawl up the legs and empty all your corn.

deer will lick the spinner plate and get whatever corn the coons didn't get.

I'ts a pain in the butt to fill up, but you really need a feeder much higher off the ground.

I build my own out of 55 gallon drums and electric conduit for legs, around 7 feet long each, and put a varmit cage around the motor to keep the racoons out.
Old April 28, 2009, 07:35 AM   #6
Doyle

Moultrie feeder motors and times do not hold up. I don't see how they stay in business. We occasionally buy Moultrie feeders but we count on replacing the motors within the first season. The most durable timers are digital. The analog timers have plastic gears that strip too easily.

If you have squirrels, the plastic barrels won't last too long. The squirrels will chew right through them.
Old April 28, 2009, 03:36 PM   #7
trooper3385

I would get one that is on a pully with a hand crank. Trust me, it makes life much easier filling them up when you can lower them to the ground. The feeders are not that hard to make. Just need the pipes and a 55 gallon barrel. You can find the funnels that fit inside the barrels at most feed stores. Spend a little more money on the timer. A good timer is a must. Nothing more disappointing than pulling up to the feeder only to find out that it hasn't thrown corn since the last time you were out there.
Old April 28, 2009, 10:15 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Check out the SpinCast feeders. They're close to I-35 on the north side of San Antonio. I've used them for years. The timers are very reliable, and the wire from the solar panel to the battery is now armor-plated so the squirrels don't eat them.

Easy enough to make a feeder with one of their units, a 55-gallon drum and three pieces of pipe for legs. Just leave an aluminum stepladder nearby for refilling.

I'd set up the timer for minimum quantity, a half-hour after first light, maybe noonish, and then again just before sundown.