The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Followthehollow

Cast bullets with jacketed load data .44 mag

Ok I'm completely new at this, I've read through ABC's of reloading twice, plus a hornady manual and an ooold lyman manual that was given to me. I searched the forums and found a mention of it but not much else.

My basic question is am I ok to use jacketed load data with a cast bullet?
for example the hornady manual shows between 22.1 and 25.3 grains of alliant 2400 with a 200 grain jacketed bullet. Would this be ok to use with a 200 grain cast flat point bullet?

Thanks for any replies.
Old December 21, 2005, 06:17 PM   #2
somerled

It is far better to load lead bullets using data for jacketed bullets rather than the other way around. But it still isn't the best.

You'll be okay at the lower range judging by some Lyman data I have. Approaching the other way, the powder is going to have to be compressed.

I wouldn't want to clean the lead out of the barrel unless those bullets are linotype alloy.
Old December 21, 2005, 06:49 PM   #3
AlaskaMike

While I would think in this case you'd be perfectly fine starting with the 22.1 grain load and working up, there's no reason you have to settle for the jacketed bullet data. As far as I know, all the powder companies encourage you to call them if you ever have any questions about the safety of particular loads. I'd give Alliant a call and run it past them.

Mike