The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 16, 2000, 04:57 PM   #1
rr41mag

I am new to glasses I just started wearing a year ago. The doc says I need them for reading and driving. I don't wear them when I shoot but I do notice having to wait a short period for optic adjustment when I do take them off. Should I wear them when I hunt? Should I take them with me? I shoot just fine without them.

------------------
A son is the best friend you'll ever have!
Old November 16, 2000, 05:10 PM   #2
stephen_g22

I would go to the range and shoot a group with your glasses, then without.

When I first got glasses I was shooting without them and couldn't hit a thing, my shooting improved with the glasses.

I can read without my glasses just not very well, the same thing goes for shooting.

Good Luck!
Old November 16, 2000, 06:50 PM   #3
BadMedicine

If the doc says you need them for deiving, then chances are, you need them for hunting too. If you hunt fine without them, then hunt like that, but wear your glasses as little as possible before hunting. ie, while driving their, but not while walking to the stand. If They don't bother you though, I would definatley where them, as they can only improve your shots, and abuility to spot game.
Old November 16, 2000, 07:17 PM   #4
Dave R

Glasses are no shortcoming when hunting/shooting (unless they fog up on you...)

One advantage--at the range I visit my prescription lenses count as eye protection and I don't have to wear the cheap "Home Improvement" eye protection they provide. Which probably means I have a clearer sight picture than the guys with "naked eyes".

No problems with scope, either. Just mount it so eye relief is adjusted your your vision wiht glasses on.

There are many, many hunters with glasses. Now one more, I guess.
Old November 17, 2000, 08:05 PM   #5
Field-dressed

I wear contacts but I have hunted with glasses on. I found the fogging and rain drop problem to be a real pain where I hunt in Alaska (I think BadMeds can back me up on that). I'd give glasses a try as suggested. If you see better but can't stand the fogging problem you might give contacts a try, soft lenses are really comfortable for me and insurance covers 'em. Good luck.