The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 15, 2002, 04:26 PM   #1
aggie1976

Saiga Semi-Auto in 12 gauge

What experience does anyone have with the Saiga Semi-Auto in 12 gauge (or 16, or 410)? They "look" interesting, but I am curious as to the dependability of the piece.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!
Old May 18, 2002, 06:03 PM   #2
Brooks

Saiga 12 ga.

Here is an old review. I think that they have a manual bolt hold open dvice and chokes now.

http://www.jpfo.org/siaga.htm
Old May 20, 2002, 10:45 AM   #3
aggie1976

Saiga 12 guage

Thanks for the link, I don't recall anybody doing a writeup in ay gun magazine on this piece.
Old May 20, 2002, 11:48 AM   #4
Dave R

No one at TFL owns one? I thought we had a t least one of everything here...
Old May 20, 2002, 02:46 PM   #5
aggie1976

Saiga 12 guage

From the depth of knowledge I've read here I was sure someone would have rung one of these puppies out long ago!!
Old May 23, 2002, 01:44 PM   #6
dZ

for some reason, i find the .410 version tempting for $179

heres a wrinkle
you could rebarrel it with a rifle barrel and shoot 45/70 semiauto!
Old May 23, 2002, 10:13 PM   #7
Coronach

Quote:
you could rebarrel it with a rifle barrel and shoot 45/70 semiauto!
Things that make you go 'hmmmmmmm.'

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old May 27, 2002, 07:27 AM   #8
Burlington Road

G&A Magazine

Guns and Ammo reviewed Saiga 12 ga. ---Dec. 1998

Some guys on the --www.AK47.net

bought them and like them. One guy stated it cycled faster than Benelli and was the softest recoiling shotgun he had tried.

Here is a thread-http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showth...ga+and+shotgun

Last edited by Burlington Road; May 27, 2002 at 08:27 AM.
Old May 29, 2002, 09:32 AM   #9
aggie1976

Gun Test review of the Saiga 12 guage

Got the latest Gun Test magazine yesterday and there, bigger than life, was a comparison of the Saiga 12 guage semi-auto versus (can't believe I forgot the name ) a magazine fed pump 12 guage. This same shotgun was talked about on this forum earlier this month. Oh well, bottom line, the Saiga proceeded to shuck the action cover off of itself early on in the testing. This is the same cover as on the top of the AK-47 version. That killed the testing right then and there as the Gun Test guys stop all activity with any piece that sheds parts (duhhh!) So, not a very good sign from what I can tell.
Old May 29, 2002, 10:00 AM   #10
buzz_knox

Did the article say if they has locked the receiver cover in place? I presume they opened the mechanism at some point to look at the action. If so, and they didn't properly secure the cover, then I could see it popping up.
Old May 29, 2002, 10:29 AM   #11
rocko

I believe I read in on another board that they stated in the article that were not sure if the top cover was appropriately secured. So... I wouldn't give their review too much credence, if you are one to believe the gun rags in the first place. Didn't they also classify the bulgy makarov as being "unsafe to fire"? How many satisfied mak owners are out there? And I've never heard of any issues indicating they were dangerous to shoot. Sounds to me that the G&A guys spend too much time with their bolt actions and don't know how to reassemble an AK.

Rocko