The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2011, 01:05 PM   #1
Renfro

Cap Gun Powder

I know this isn't exactly a reloading question but I figured this was the place to go.
A buddy at work is working on a little experiment and is using the powder out of the red ring cap gun caps. Does any one have an idea of what type of powder this is or if you can purchase it some where instead of tediously removing it from the caps?

Thanks
Old August 19, 2011, 04:02 PM   #2
oakfloor

Could be "Flash" powder, as used in some fireworks is my guess.
Old August 19, 2011, 09:04 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...can purchase it..." Nope. It's some kind of percussion sensitive compound that has no purpose other than making noise. Might have been very low grade BP at one time.
You should probably stay away from your buddy until he's finished playing with it.
Old August 19, 2011, 09:42 PM   #4
jolly roger

Knowing a bit about explosives I would say "experimenting" with Armstrong's Mixture...AKA flash powder is not good. That's what's in a cap in very small amounts. Enough of that collected out of several caps could be a problem. Very sensitive to impact. Flash powder scares the crap out of people who use real explosives...
Old August 19, 2011, 09:45 PM   #5
jolly roger

And don't even THINK of loading some in a case...
Old August 20, 2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Pahoo

This dog does more than bark !!

Roll caps are getting harder to find these days. I load my small cannons with them, after trimming. If loaded hot enough, you can drive a BB about 1/4", into soft pine. The report will also make your ears ring. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 20, 2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Renfro

He's not try to make anyhing too dangerous an I would never put the stuff in a case, I'm a little fond of my eye sight and hands. I didn't figure there there would be an available source for the powder because of it's potiental dangers. If you want to see what he's doing YouTube exploding pellets, the one by shooting eggs is a good video.
Old August 20, 2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

There seen to have been different mixes at different times. Some black (Greenie Stick-um caps), some with aluminum or magnesium dust in it. We used to spend hours stripping whole rolls of it and set it off all at once in a dish. That was when I was 7 or so.

I do recall the residue was pretty corrosive and also that it smelled of phosphorous. Despite a lot of later experimentation with things a lot more powerful than caps, I got through childhood and adolescence with all my fingers and both eyebrows. But I wouldn't ever repeat some of what I did then, today.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 20, 2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Pahoo

Those were the days !!

Quote:
I do recall the residue was pretty corrosive and also that it smelled of phosphorous. Despite a lot of later experimentation with things a lot more powerful than caps, I got through childhood and adolescence with all my fingers and both eyebrows. But I wouldn't ever repeat some of what I did then, today.
You got that right and have to bite my tongue when relating old stories to my grandson, like making rocket engines out of match heads. Or how to make a match gun out of a clothes pin and one of my favorites the "Cap" grenade. Of course we will never talk about the zip guns. I too have all my fingers although they are pretty scared up. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old August 20, 2011, 07:09 PM   #10
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick
Despite a lot of later experimentation with things a lot more powerful than caps, I got through childhood and adolescence with all my fingers and both eyebrows. But I wouldn't ever repeat some of what I did then, today.
Amen, brother. I remember a day when I walked into the local druggist and inquired about purchasing a quantity of saltpeter. He asked me what I was doing with saltpeter and I told him "Making a bomb!" He shrugged his shoulders and sold me a large Rx bottle of the stuff.

This day and age, he would have been calling the police and I would have had to explain what I was doing. Not so in those days.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com