The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 29, 2012, 09:58 AM   #1
MTHall720

Sig 1911 22

Does this gun shoot well with cheap bulk ammo ?
Old November 29, 2012, 10:02 AM   #2
springer99

No
Old November 29, 2012, 12:49 PM   #3
MTHall720

Thanks much! I was hoping it would not have similar problems as the mosquito
Old November 29, 2012, 12:55 PM   #4
pgdion

I don't know if it's similar problems to the Mosquito but it has a large more massive slide (compared to a .22 target pistol). You need a good charge to cycle it. Just got one of these but haven't had it out yet unfortunately. I read good reviews but pretty much CCI Mini-Mags and up. That would include Super-X SS and also the Blazer which can be had in bulk for only about $1 more per 500 than the Federal Champion.

I'll post a review when I give it a spin but it won't be until after Christmas (bought my own gift but it has to go under the tree ).
Old November 29, 2012, 01:13 PM   #5
qwiksdraw

They can get a little picky with lead head rounds and that becomes apparent mostly if the gun is dirty. Usually the coated rounds work fine. Yet some guns seem to do well with lead heads.

My Sig has no problems with any CCI round. Recently I tried Remington Golden Bullets (in bulk package) and had no ammo problems at all...I shot over 200 rounds.

For about a penny more per round, the copper coated round are worth it.
Old November 29, 2012, 02:33 PM   #6
MTHall720

Remington Golden I what I was thinking of.
Old November 29, 2012, 02:34 PM   #7
MTHall720

I'm glad to know that the heaviness of the slide is a major factor. Makes me re-think this.
Old November 29, 2012, 03:26 PM   #8
pgdion

I'm guessing a little on the slide mass but the .22 is a lot lower energy than the center fire rounds and .22's typically have what I would call 1/2 slides. Most of the full size guns like this use aluminum alloy slides to keep the weight down along with lighter recoil springs. I don't know that I'd call it a major factor but I believe it has to play a role. I don't think it's an issue with reliability ect, it just means weaker ammo won't cycle them reliably. Good points from qwiksdraw as the Blazer I planned to use are coated lead.

I bought mine as a full size platform to shoot the cheaper .22 on (and quieter for less neighbor irritation). So the way I look at it, even if I shoot the Super-X SS at $5.50 per 100, that's still way less than .45auto and even way less than 9mm and I get to shoot a full size service style pistol.

For what it's worth, the other .22 I was looking at was the M&P 15-22. That one gets great reviews. Very similar to the regular M&P but with an aluminum slide (a very nice quality slide though). But I wanted a 1911 and I didn't need another .45 auto (too expensive) and the Sig really caught my eye. It's like it was calling to me. I hope I made the right choice (or I'll probably end up with both eventually).
Old December 1, 2012, 05:47 PM   #9
9mm

Quote:
bought my own gift but it has to go under the tree
It can go under the tree, just take it out for a spin every weekend till christmas, and clean it and place it back in the box.
Old December 1, 2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The SIG is a re-branded GSG, which was reviewed by M1911.org awhile ago, here: http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=124

From the review:
Quote:
We received one surprise before we even began shooting. Most .22 conversions make it clear that they are calibrated for high-velocity ammunition and may not function reliably with standard velocity fodder. We test with an assortment anyway, of course, but we expect some issues in cycling with the lighter, slower loads. The owners manual for the GSG 1911 states that the pistol is set up to function with both standard velocity and high velocity ammunition.

A very pleasant surprise was that, throughout our entire test of this pistol (accounting for a few hundred rounds), we encountered NO malfunctions. No failures to feed, no jams, no failures to eject ... not even a single failure to fire. We were impressed, especially considering that the ammunition we used ranged in velocity from a sedate 1070 fps up to 1260 fps. In addition, the GSG 1911 didn'r appear to be as "picky" about ammunition as some .22 firearms can be. If there was no one ammunition choice that really stood out as head-and-shoulders better than all others, at the same time the pistol shot acceptably well with all the ammunition we used, meaning that an owner can anticipate a decent day of plinking regardless of what ammo he can find available.
Old December 1, 2012, 11:50 PM   #11
Marquezj16

Here's my review.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480758

Had problems with Winchester bulk pack. Did great with several other and no they were not premium ammo.
Old December 5, 2012, 01:52 PM   #12
pgdion

^- Thanks for re-posting, nice write up. makes me feel better as I usually do more research first but I saw this and I liked it, I liked it a lot. So I bought it without the usual diligence.

Quote:
It can go under the tree, just take it out for a spin every weekend till christmas, and clean it and place it back in the box.
That's a great suggestion but I think my wife would catch on, especially when she comes home and I'm all giddy from being at the range.
Old December 6, 2012, 06:23 PM   #13
Frontpage

I have 2 of them...one GSG and one Sig (made by GSG). Both have been fairly reliable so far and I have a couple thousand rounds thru each of them. They are a little picky with respect to ammo, but Federal Bulk (red box) works pretty well. CCI minimags seems to work best.
Old December 6, 2012, 10:54 PM   #14
MTHall720

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelerater View Post
mine kaboomed in my face...carefull
Shrapnel?
Old December 7, 2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Rifleman1952

German Sports Guns (GSG) manufactures this gun (1911 .22) for Sig Sauer. You can buy the GSG version and save yourself a few dollars. Below is a nice youtube comparison video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSLaX0pD4cg

I've read that these 1911 .22 lrs are a big improvement over the Sig Mosquito.
Old December 8, 2012, 08:19 AM   #16
Noreaster

The guy at the pro shop told me to break it in with the high end stuff and then shoot what ever I want. I did that and my Sig 1911-22 has been running great. The only ammo I feed it now is bulk pack stuff from Wally World. The kaboom reports have me worried but so far so good.
Old December 8, 2012, 08:22 AM   #17
JWT

I shoot nothing but bulk Federal or CCI ammo through mine and have never had a problem with it. Shot another 150 rds yesterday, not one malfunction. I'd say it shoots fine with the cheaper ammo.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:24 PM   #18
andromeda673

I'm really intrested in the sig 1911 22, I think it's pretty cool, and I have held it a few times at Cabelas, they seem to fit my hand very well.

How are they as far as accuracy is concerned
Old December 8, 2012, 06:54 PM   #19
mk70ss

Mine shoots great with bulk ammo as long as it is high velocity.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:55 PM   #20
Marquezj16

Quote:
How are they as far as accuracy is concerned
I'm not a great shot by any standards but I can hit a 10" metal target 8-9 out of 10 shooting offhand. My son who is new to pistols (17 years old) can hit it maybe 50% of the time. They are not target pistols by any means but they are accurate enough for me.

Ammo I use is CCI Blazer bulk pack and Fed Auto Match. When I can find them, I buy the CCI Standard Velocity.
Old December 9, 2012, 01:54 PM   #21
andromeda673

I'm headed to cabelas today to go look at one again, I think I will probally be buying one in the olive drab, cabelas has the kit with the holster and extra magazine for $419 I believe.

I do like the flat dark earth finish, but cabelas never has them.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:01 PM   #22
HisSoldier

The new ROCK ISLAND XT .22 is made of 4140 steel, not to be compared to Zamak guns which is what we used to call pot metal.

Nowadays zinc is considered "Gun metal" by dishonest manufacturers.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:26 PM   #23
TennJed

FWIW I have the Colt 1911 .22lr (umarex/walther) and it runs 100% with all types of crappy bulk ammo. Comes with a 12 rd mag and does not need tools to take down (like the GSG/Sig)
Old December 9, 2012, 10:47 PM   #24
Sevens

Real numbers-- I put my GSG 1911-22 in to service in April of this year.

I've fed it 4,126 documented rounds. I had issues with lead 40gr American Eagle and bulk 40gr lead CCI-Blazer was a bit better, but not perfect.

I burned only about 100 rounds of each of those just for kicks. And in the interest of full disclosure, I was running a "see how long it'll run without cleaning" and it had run over 800 rounds through it since cleaning when I tried those.

The other 3,900 rounds was my go-to ammo choice, the bulk Federal Champion, 36gr plated that you get in 375 or 525 round bulk packs. Commonly found at Wal-Mart, I tend to buy mine at a large gun store well north of me when I get them on sale. Lately, they have been scarce. I plan to buy a minimum of 10 of these the next time I find them on sale.

My particular GSG 1911-22 is unbelievably, stupifyingly and ridiculously rock-solid with this Federal Champion, 36gr plated bulk ammo. No FTFire, no FTFeed, no FTEject, no stove pipes, no erratic ejection, no failure to go in to battery...just unbelievable reliability.

The pistol comes with a 2-year warranty. I can't imagine this pistol will continue it's performance if I keep running it at this pace, but I'm going to give it a run.

If you are looking for an endorsement of one of these to run with low-cast, bulk ammo, and Federal Champion 36gr plated counts as cheap ammo, then I can whole-heartedly sign my name to the endorsement.

I'll put it this way: if you own any semi-automatic rimfire handgun made by anyone at any price, and it runs as well as the 4,000+ rounds out of my GSG 1911-22, then you have a keeper.
Old December 10, 2012, 06:54 PM   #25
Ozzieman

but it has a large more massive slide (compared to a .22 target pistol).
What does mass have to do with the reliability of a well designed gun? My Colt 1911 shoots anything I put through it and it has a full sized steel slide.
I buy cheep Remington bulk in 500 packs and I have had a couple that didn’t go off the first time but never any reliability problems.
The only problem I have with 22 1911’s is the magazine design. With the Ruger Mk you can get a plastic tool that will hold the spring down so you can easily fill the mag. That darn colt wears out my thumb in about 10 reloads.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:21 PM.