The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 21, 2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Northern Firearms

Has anyone ever purchased from Northern Firearms. If so, what has been your experience. Are they reputable? They sell a lot on Gunbroker but many of their guns have a no return policy.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:17 PM   #2
JimDandy

Never dealt with them, but I have to ask, how many gun shops even locally have a return policy? To my knowledge all of them out here will happily assist you in working with the manufacturer on their warranty... I can't imagine it's any easier to return things to an online merchant.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3
jmfc606

I bought a new Remington rifle from them a few years ago. I had NO problems at all. Everything went smooth. How's their feedback on gunbroker now? I haven't been on there in a few years but unless something has happened and their feedback has gotten bad recently I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again
Old November 21, 2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Stressfire

Quote:
how many gun shops even locally have a return policy?
The one I go to

Like jmfc said, look over their feedback. If someone got POed at them for something, it's a pretty good chance they posted it anywhere they could find.

If what they send you is not as advertised, just don't take receipt.
Old November 21, 2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandy
but I have to ask, how many gun shops even locally have a return policy?
There are plenty of guns for sale on Gunbroker that have a return policy, usually 3 to 7 days. Here is one:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=317680485
Old November 21, 2012, 04:43 PM   #6
dstryr

In January '12 I picked up an FNP40 via a gunbroker auction from Northern Firearms. They were great to deal with. No issues except it took forever for my check to clear. The gun was to me through my FFL for at least a couple of weeks before the check cleared my bank.

I called a couple of times to make sure they had made the deposit because I didn't want trouble on my end with my bank for any reason and I wanted them to be paid for the gun I bought.

Do not know why it took so long to go through, but it did and they shipped me a fine NIB handgun. I'd buy from them again and will stop in next time I drive up that way.

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old November 24, 2012, 04:19 PM   #7
LarryFlew

LOT of feedback (over 12K) and the few negatives are from buyers with less than 10 feedbacks who have no clue how long things take. Buy from them with confidence IMO.

Almost all of their items already include shipping also.
Old November 24, 2012, 05:03 PM   #8
jasmith85

I would give them nothing but great reviews. I've bought a Sig p226 and Sig p229 from them and both guns have been great. They were also easy to deal with and shipped quickly as well as having the best prices I could find on both guns.
Old November 24, 2012, 07:21 PM   #9
BillyBeards

I bought a pistol from Northern this past summer and they were very easy to work with. I had all my stuff in order with my FFL and such, they shipped the next day.
They would get my business again.

Last edited by BillyBeards; November 24, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old November 24, 2012, 09:08 PM   #10
mes227

"Never dealt with them, but I have to ask, how many gun shops even locally have a return policy?"

I've bought quite a few guns on GunBroker, most of those sellers have offered a no-fire inspection-only return (buyer pays roundtrip postage). I offer the same when I sell.
Old November 24, 2012, 10:18 PM   #11
bronicadave

I have been in their retail store in Walker, they seem like nice guys at the gun counter and no problems at the store. Never bought from them via gun broker.
Old November 30, 2012, 05:19 PM   #12
danbrew

The folks at Northern Firearms are great - I've purchased a handful of guns from them over the last few years, including one this afternoon. I've had zero problems and they offer hard to find guns at pretty good prices. Yeah, you can look around a bit and maybe find something a little less expensive, but they include shipping - other folks ding you for an extra $25-40 or more for what they include. They also often include extra mags and a carrying case. I bought a Kimber Super Carry Pro HD from them and the cheapest price I could find new for it from a dealer was $1375. I paid $1449 for it. Included shipping to my dealer and two additional magazines & a range bag. I'll probably put the magazines and range bags up for sale on one of the gun sites and recoup $40-50 for it. That'll go towards buying some Wilson mags and a new recoil spring - somewhat of a must have when buying Kimbers.

Bud's, by the way, had the same thing less bag and magazines for $1549 - which was kind of surprising as Bud's generally has pretty good prices. Could I have found it a little less expensive? Maybe. Most of the folks selling these online don't have them in stock. Northern has it in stock and it won't surprise me one bit if it ships tonight - although I did order it late in the day.

As to the return thing... meh. My two cents is that if you need a return period for a new gun you haven't decided whether you really want it. I don't think it uncommon for most retailers to NOT offer a refund period - and for those that do? Good luck actually getting them to execute on that. It makes a lot more sense for used guns but I'd bet that most retailers aren't going to offer a return option for a used gun. I know this will be different for everyone, but I look at buying guns online as an option to get a gun closer to cost with no sales tax (8% where I live). Most of the dealers in this area are charging list (1650), which would mean this would be a $1782 gun if I bought locally. So... I'm rambling. Net/net, deal with Northern with no worries.

danbrew
Old December 3, 2012, 09:47 AM   #13
Roland Thunder

Shortly after my original post, I went ahead and purchased a brand new Buckmark .22 Plus with rosewood grips, slab-side bull barrel and fiber optic front site for $459 icluding shipping. I thought that was an excellent price. It was shipped the next day after I bought it and I had it in about 4 days. It was as advertised.

Great experience, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:47 AM   #14
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
It was shipped the next day after I bought it and I had it in about 4 days. It was as advertised.

Great experience, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
Some buyers have very unrealistic expectation's.

TBS, everybody has to cover there butt's.
Old December 10, 2012, 12:36 PM   #15
gaseousclay

Quote:
I have been in their retail store in Walker, they seem like nice guys at the gun counter and no problems at the store. Never bought from them via gun broker.
are they Reed's Sporting Goods?
Old February 26, 2013, 06:11 PM   #16
sourdough44

Yes, they seem the same as 'Reeds'. I just ordered an X-Bolt in 7mm-08 from them.
Old July 17, 2015, 08:09 PM   #17
jbrown

buy from them with confidence.I have bought probably a dozen guns from them over the years,not a single problem.
Old July 17, 2015, 11:20 PM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The beautiful city of Necrothreadiaville!
Closed Thread