The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 10, 2014, 10:38 AM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

creative writing (used shotgun ad)

Here's a bit of creative writing I lifted from Arfcom. The author has potential as a novelist.

Quote:
Mossberg, vintage, bolt-action, shotgun, 1950s, Michigan Upland Hunting,
Mossberg's amazing arm-lengthening Model 190

It's hard to decide where to begin describing the many innovative features of the Mossberg model 190. From muzzle to butt, it screams "1950." Actually, it was made from 1950 to 1955.

Let's start at the butt. The butt of the beautifully matte-finished genuine walnut Monte Carlo one-piece pistol grip stock of this beauty is capped with a non-recoil-absorbing piece of the hardest plastic I've ever seen; quite possibly that 1950's miracle of polymerization, Bakelite.

The stock itself has such a plain finish that even dings, chips, or scratches do not diminish it. They only add to the gun's individuality.

Then there's the action. The engineers at Mossberg thought long and hard about how to improve a hunter's marksmanship before they decided that a bolt-action was the ticket. After all, since a bolt-action is so slow there's no chance for a second shot, you bet a hunter's going to try his best to make the first shot count. Now that's innovation. However, just in case you are hunting three-toed sloth, and do have time for a follow-up shot, the Model 190 comes with a two-round box magazine.

The gun comes chambered for the awesomely powerful 16 gauge 2 3/4" shot shells, or if the hunter wants even less power, it will accept 2" or 2 1/4 inch ammunition.

Innovative vice-grip operated choke
At the other end of the 26" barrel is the variable C-Lect-Choke that allows the hunter to change the choke from Improved Cylinder to Full Choke with just a few twists of the wrist (or vice-grips if you're not Chuck Norris). This adjustable choke is so far ahead of its time there isn't another gun manufacturer that uses it. Well, actually, Mossberg stopped using it sometime in the 1960s, too, I think.

But perhaps the most innovative feature of this gun is its weight. While original company advertising materials claim it weighs a mere 6 1/4 lbs., that is at the beginning of the day. This gun has the amazing ability to get heavier as the day goes on. This feature is especially handy (pardon the pun) to hunters with freakishly short arms, as after carrying this gun a couple days, their arms will be measureably longer. Normal hunters, however, may need to buy shoes with thicker soles to keep their knuckles from dragging.
Old November 10, 2014, 11:10 AM   #2
skoro

He saved the best for that last paragraph.
Old November 10, 2014, 11:41 AM   #3
JWT

Wow! Quite a talent?
Old November 10, 2014, 12:18 PM   #4
DaleA

Marvelous.

There's tons of talent out there in the most unlikely places.
Old November 10, 2014, 05:58 PM   #5
jmr40

My brother cut an ad from the local paper probably 25 years ago for a break action single shot 10 ga. It read in part, "fired once". Normally a low round count might help sell a gun. In this case I thought it was counter productive.
Old November 12, 2014, 03:25 PM   #6
KyJim

I like it but he forgot its biggest selling point. He could add a sentence like, "The two round mag, the bolt action, the long barrel, and the one-piece wood stock all help guarantee this gun won't be on any gun ban list for a good long time."
Old November 17, 2014, 03:11 AM   #7
Snyper

Quote:
My brother cut an ad from the local paper probably 25 years ago for a break action single shot 10 ga. It read in part, "fired once". Normally a low round count might help sell a gun. In this case I thought it was counter productive.
A friend of mine bought a 10 GA single barrel, and decided to try some slugs.

He carried a couple of his buddies to the range, and they had 5 rounds.

He shot it first and it bloodied his nose.

His buddies each fired it once, and since he's the macho type he fired it one more time, just so he could say he did it

I think those are the only 4 shells that were ever fired in the gun